+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for permanent residence via spousal sponsorship

paulschild

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
I am s tudent here in Canada.i will be graduating in April and then will apply for my post graduate work permit (I'm eligible for one year work permit cos my program was just for a year).
My fiancé and I are planning to get married so we can file for my permanent resident card. My questions are

1. She doesn't want to inform her family because they are demanding for an expensive traditional marriage.
We plan to do a quiet wedding without informing Her family. Will CIC demand pictures that has members of her family in it. Her parents are late though just her brother and sister are here in Canada.

2. Should we apply inland or Outland. I'm from Nigeria though and my girl is from Sudan. I'm 26 and she's 21

3. If we apply Outland, should I choose the visa office in the USA to process my PR application since it's closer or should I choose Accra Ghana(responsible for processing application from Nigeria)

4. What are the requirements we need for the application. We have been living together since August 2014.
5. What Type of evidence do we need to show CIC

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
You can't choose your VO, it's based on what office is responsible for your country of citizenship's applications. So it would have to be Accra. You don't necessarily have to have your family there but it looks way better to do so. It's a red flag if you don't unless you explain your reasoning but still at that point, it's up to the VO where they choose to go with it. Since you are forgoing a traditional ceremony, they may scrutinize you more but I can't say one way or the other with certainty. Unless you don't plan on leaving the country for the next 2+ years I would not apply inland because if for some reason you are denied reentry into Canada if you leave during, it cancels your application and you start over. If you want ti stay in Canada, you must also look into whether you need a visa to enter Canada which are hard to get, especially if you are married. You would need very strong ties to your country (job, lease/mortgage, etc.) to prove you are not an overstay risk. Basically, you need to weigh your options and see what works for you and your family. That's the best advice I can give you. More senior members may be able to add to this.