+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Open work permit before AIP under Inbound Family Sponsorship

tangent123

Jan 25, 2014
I called the CIC agent this week and was informed that from now on, Open work permit application, not sent with the sponsorship/PR application, can now be sent anytime while the PR application is in process.

This will give the sponsored person an implied status to continue working.

Has anyone heard the same thing?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tangent123 said:
I called the CIC agent this week and was informed that from now on, Open work permit application, not sent with the sponsorship/PR application, can now be sent anytime while the PR application is in process.

This will give the sponsored person an implied status to continue working.

Has anyone heard the same thing?
Hi

There have been many reported stories of people calling the CIC call centre regarding whether or not an OWP allows someone to continue working. The consensus has been that CIC's answers are NOT consistent. It was dependent upon the type of work permit that the person had, as some will NOT be allowed to continue working, thus no implied status. This seems to be a moot point anyway, because...

According to the recent changes (even posted to the CIC website on Jan 21) OWP cannot be submitted until the sponsor has been approved (AIP, or stage 1 approval).

At least, this is what people here are saying about this issue.

*edit*
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-sponsorship-rules-canada-makes-it-even-harder-for-us-t182180.0.html

The person that started that thread also called CIC and was told that OWP can no longer be sent until AIP has been determined.

tangent123

Jan 25, 2014
The wp i m concerned is the post graduate wp. Will this qualify for the extension? In case what I heard was true.
Thanks a lot.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, that's the $64K question.

If the new rule exists, it means that OWP can longer be submitted with the application (or while it is being processed for stage 1/AIP) and no one will be able to continue working, thus removing the implied status for those whose WP would expire before AIP.

Stay tuned. Someone else will likely chime in with more info.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
According to the recent changes (even posted to the CIC website on Jan 21) OWP cannot be submitted until the sponsor has been approved (AIP, or stage 1 approval).
Please provide a link to the CIC website where it states this.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Please provide a link to the CIC website where it states this.
The rest of my post that you quoted says:
"According to the recent changes (even posted to the CIC website on Jan 21) OWP cannot be submitted until the sponsor has been approved (AIP, or stage 1 approval).

At least, this is what people here are saying about this issue."

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This, from a respected and very knowledgeable member, seems to be a possible answer to the OWP issue:
computergeek said:
Apparently, the reason it worked with CPC-V is that they accepted temporary applications. CPC-M does not. This just adds an additional 1-4 months overhead to those filing their applications after January 19, 2014.
(originally posted in the Inland 2014 thread)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
"According to the recent changes (even posted to the CIC website on Jan 21) OWP cannot be submitted until the sponsor has been approved (AIP, or stage 1 approval).
Your posts makes it sound as if you have personally read about these changes posted on CIC's website, hence why people on the other thread requested the link from you as well. Without an actual link to back up that statement up, I would suggest you stop repeating it.

Another post from the Inland 2014 thread:

2Rxist said:
Hey guys,

so I called CIC as well, and they told me new applicants should follow the same procedure as before (i.e. inland app + owp app) and send it to Mississauga.

And the reason for the change to Mississauga office was that the 'Sauga office does the outland apps, so they figured to just keep everything together.

For people now sending applications, might be good idea to call CIC and confirm before sending, that's what we did!

We sent ours in, Mississauga office received it today, and now we are officially part of the waiting game!
No one knows what is true. Until such time as CIC confirms it, people need to stop advising others like this is already a confirmed fact. I understand that you are just trying to help but be careful how you word your posts.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Point taken and I agree..however...

I was not the person that first posted this information ANYWHERE. It was only after seeing this, from yet another senior member, that I even took interest:
zardoz said:
You do realise that there is no longer the option to apply for an OWP with the inland PR application, and therefore no "implied status" via that route? (as of the last couple of days). Just checking....
(from the Spousal Sponsorship thread)

And then this thread appeared, which seems to be the first `official discussion' of this matter:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-sponsorship-rules-canada-makes-it-even-harder-for-us-t182180.0.html,
to which the OP stated this:
"...This change will be reflected very soon. ..."

But, I do agree that until CIC posts something, this should be squelched, but then again...what about those that have not yet applied? I guess they just have to call CIC and hope that the answer that they receive...is correct.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Point taken and I agree..however...

I was not the person that first posted this information ANYWHERE. It was only after seeing this, from yet another senior member, that I even took interest:(from the Spousal Sponsorship thread)

But, I do agree that until CIC posts something, this should be squelched, but then again...what about those that have not yet applied? I guess they just have to call CIC and hope that the answer that they receive...is correct.
I know you weren't the first person to post about it and I'm not trying to single you out. If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I advised zardoz yesterday that he should moderate his posts regarding this topic.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canuck_in_uk said:
I know you weren't the first person to post about it and I'm not trying to single you out. If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I advised zardoz yesterday that he should moderate his posts regarding this topic.
If you take the time to look at the "in-Canada" spousal application, you will see that it now sent to Mississauga (20/01/14) As Mississauga doesn't process visitor/work/study permit, you won't get implied status by including an application for 1 at an office that doesn't process those types of applications.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PMM said:
Hi

If you take the time to look at the "in-Canada" spousal application, you will see that it now sent to Mississauga (20/01/14) As Mississauga doesn't process visitor/work/study permit, you won't get implied status by including an application for 1 at an office that doesn't process those types of applications.
I'm well aware of what apps are processed in which office. Another poster in the Inland 2014 thread has said that CIC told him to send the OWP app along with the inland PR app to Mississauga. Maybe CIC plans to forward the OWP apps on to Vegreville at the appropriate time. Maybe the Mississauga office is going to start processing these OWP apps. Maybe the OWP app is still supposed to be sent to Vegreville at the same time that the inland PR app is sent to Mississauga.

The point is, nothing has been officially confirmed by CIC; all of it is still speculation at this point.

tangent123

Jan 25, 2014
Has anyone tried to withdraw the inbound application and submit an outbound application right after?

Given that my spouse's work permit won't expire until 6 months after, does anyone think this approach is viable to obtain an OWP?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot apply for an OWP with an Outland application for sponsorship.