+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian citizenship but not for kids

Ladybug

Nov 16, 2007
Hello All,
I applied for citizenship after meeting the requirements and received the RQ last month.
Only today, I sent out the RQ form filled out with the supporting documents.

Now I am thinking that since I did not apply for citizenship for my kids (they are US citizens), would the citizenship judge conclude that we are planning to move to US after getting the Canadian citizenship and not find us eligible for citizenship?

Should this be a concern?
Could CICS deny citizenship if they feel that we might move to US or another country after getting the citizenship?
Appreciate any input on this from other members..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do not have the right to deny you citizenship based on that you might possibly move. However, why did you not include your kids? Your kids could be dual, US and Canadian.

Ladybug

Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for your reply Leon. I did not apply for the Canadian citizenship for the kids because I thought there is no need and it would cost me so much - $200 application fee for each + cost for having the Canadian passports + US passport renewals every 5 years. I did not think at that point that this might impact my own citizenship chances. Not sure if this would be a correct answer if CICS or Citizenship judge raises this question during the interview. Please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just get the Canadian citizenship card for the kids. The card never expires. But without that card, your kids cannot apply their Canadian passports.

his579

Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 2016
File Transfer...
March 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
July 2016 (Re-med: 07 Sep 2016)
Passport Req..
22 Sep 2016
VISA ISSUED...
04 Oct 2016
LANDED..........
Jan 2017
Hi leon,

Do you recommend to get the kids canada citizenship here.

The same case is for me. I am already canadian along with my wife and one kid. However, I hadn't applied for my younger kid who is a US citizen just because of US/canada travel hessel as USA asks to travel on US passport to enter into USA while Canada asks to travel on canadian passport to enter into Canada etc..

I may be wrong so what do you recommend? should I apply for him as well?

Thanks in advance,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
his579 said:
Do you recommend to get the kids canada citizenship here.

The same case is for me. I am already canadian along with my wife and one kid. However, I hadn't applied for my younger kid who is a US citizen just because of US/canada travel hessel as USA asks to travel on US passport to enter into USA while Canada asks to travel on canadian passport to enter into Canada etc..

I may be wrong so what do you recommend? should I apply for him as well?

For the future, it is better to have citizenship. If you at some point decide to move away, his PR would be protected as long as he is a minor living with citizen parents but as soon as he isn't any more, the clock starts ticking on his PR residency requirements and he could lose his PR if he doesn't return in time which would make it very hard for him if he decides to return to Canada some years later. He'd basically be a new immigrant.

Another possibility and I hope it never comes to that but if he ends up in trouble with the law, as a PR, he could get deported.

his579

Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
AOR Received.
Feb 2016
File Transfer...
March 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
July 2016 (Re-med: 07 Sep 2016)
Passport Req..
22 Sep 2016
VISA ISSUED...
04 Oct 2016
LANDED..........
Jan 2017
Thanks so much leon. I will apply for him also soon.

Thanks again