+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian Citisenship from abroad

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
Porus said:
Thanks all for the good replies. Based on these, I will take my decision if the following 2 are clarified:

1. I thought 4/6 yr rule is in force. EILEEN above says it isn't, & indeed CIC still shows 3/4 yr rule. Can others confirm Eileen's statement (sorry Eileen, not doubting you, yet just want to be 100% sure on this).

2. RAYMASA sent a spreadhseet of processing times. Vancouver office is showing average 'Receipt-to-Test' of 140-150 days. Are these exceptions? Or are people (especially RAYMASA who I think has more knowledge on this than most) seeing this is becoming the norm?

If the norm is becoming the 180-190 day mark for Receipt-to-Oath in Van office, & 3/4 years is still the rule, then I may be able to meet it if I apply now (my job starts in mid Apr ... i.e 8 months from now)
The current residency rule is still 3 years out of 4. The new rule 4/6 will start sometime next year. No one know when yet, but likely in June or July (but that's just a guess)

As torontonian2003 noted above, the spreadsheet is the timeline from individuals, your experience might be different and depends on variables that we can't predict. Having said that, it seems that the timeline has gotten better this year, and Toronto seems to be the fastest (5 to 6 months from application to oath).

What you see is a general trend, and cannot be applied to you specifically (or any one else for that matter), keep that in mind.

Ray

Batman1

Aug 5, 2014
Citizenship and Staying abroad for more than 6 months

Apiang2012 said:
Dear Leon, keesio, meyakanor, et 'al
I really need some advise and help. Following is my situation. Will appreciate if you can help answer the following questions ...

Status
1) July 25th, 2010 - Landed in Canada
2) July 30th, 2015 - PR card expires
3) US B2 Visa - Expires in 2022 (15 years multiple visa)
4) US I-94 expires on 9/5/14
5) Stayed 2010-2014 4 consecutive years in Ontario Canada Ontario

Situation
I recently travelled to the US and ended up getting married. Due to marriage I-94 rule of 6 months does not apply to me as I am married to a US citizen. On 9/5/14 I would have completed my six months stay in the US. Few things I am worried about. I do not want to loose my Canadian PR or Canadian Citizenship and am not ready to give up my Canadian PR or Citizenship.

Following are my questions that I really need help and if possible help advise based on current Canadian immigration laws

I have Canadian PR and expires on 6/30/2015
Q1: If I choose to stay in the US for more than six months? will the Canadian immigration give me hard time upon my return to Canada ?
A) Suppose I stayed in the US for 1 year?
B) Suppose I stayed in the US for 8 months?
C) Is there anything else that would cause issues that will effect my PR or Canadian Citizenship?

Q2: At this point I believe I qualify to apply for my Citizenship?
A) Will staying in the US for more than six months effect my citizenship? even though I have stayed in Canada for more than 4 years consecutively ?
B) Will there be any impacts to my Canadian citizenship?
C) When should I apply for my Canadian citizenship?

Q3: College enrolment in the US
A) If I am enrolled in College and my semester ends in December 2014 will this have any impact on my citizenship? this will make my stay out of Canada for total of 8 months

Q4:Need help and advise on when to apply to my Canadian Citizenship?
A) Can I apply for my Canadian citizen ship in the US ?
B) Can I attest the needed Canadian immigration documents in the US?
C) Can I have anyone that will represent me in Canada to submit my immigration documents for citizenship? will this stay more than 6 months have any impact on my citizenship application?

Any comments and advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance for you help and comments

Batman1

Aug 5, 2014
can anyone help with my situation
Apiang2012 said:
Dear Leon, keesio, meyakanor, et 'al
I really need some advise and help. Following is my situation. Will appreciate if you can help answer the following questions ...

Status
1) July 25th, 2010 - Landed in Canada
2) July 30th, 2015 - PR card expires
3) US B2 Visa - Expires in 2022 (15 years multiple visa)
4) US I-94 expires on 9/5/14
5) Stayed 2010-2014 4 consecutive years in Ontario Canada Ontario

Situation
I recently travelled to the US and ended up getting married. Due to marriage I-94 rule of 6 months does not apply to me as I am married to a US citizen. On 9/5/14 I would have completed my six months stay in the US. Few things I am worried about. I do not want to loose my Canadian PR or Canadian Citizenship and am not ready to give up my Canadian PR or Citizenship.

Following are my questions that I really need help and if possible help advise based on current Canadian immigration laws

I have Canadian PR and expires on 6/30/2015
Q1: If I choose to stay in the US for more than six months? will the Canadian immigration give me hard time upon my return to Canada ?
A) Suppose I stayed in the US for 1 year?
B) Suppose I stayed in the US for 8 months?
C) Is there anything else that would cause issues that will effect my PR or Canadian Citizenship?

Q2: At this point I believe I qualify to apply for my Citizenship?
A) Will staying in the US for more than six months effect my citizenship? even though I have stayed in Canada for more than 4 years consecutively ?
B) Will there be any impacts to my Canadian citizenship?
C) When should I apply for my Canadian citizenship?

Q3: College enrolment in the US
A) If I am enrolled in College and my semester ends in December 2014 will this have any impact on my citizenship? this will make my stay out of Canada for total of 8 months

Q4:Need help and advise on when to apply to my Canadian Citizenship?
A) Can I apply for my Canadian citizen ship in the US ?
B) Can I attest the needed Canadian immigration documents in the US?
C) Can I have anyone that will represent me in Canada to submit my immigration documents for citizenship? will this stay more than 6 months have any impact on my citizenship application?

Any comments and advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance for you help and comments