+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Work permit and PR together

vympel001

Oct 23, 2020
Hello All,

I have a question. I am applying for a work permit and a Canada PR through express entry at the same time. The work permit is being prepared by the lawyer of my employer and I am preparing the PR on my own through at my cost.

I am the primary applicant on the WP with my spouse getting an open work permit. On the PR, my spouse is the primary applicant and I am the secondary.

1. For the PR application, we are only claiming points for work experience up to the specified maximum allowable. 3 years for the primary and 0 years for the secondary of non-Canadian experience. Both of us have 6 years of work experience. For my wife 3 years of work experience are going in work history and the remaining 3 years in personal history. For me, all of my work experience goes to personal history and none in the work history

2. In my work permit application, there is a section of employment history where I am putting all of my employment and personal history.

Will this be a problem and lead to an incosistency between the WP and PR application. My personal history in the PR will be exhaustive and so will the employment history in the WP application. But I am not putting anything in the work experience section in the PR as I am not getting points for it. So would love to get your perspective on this and how I should approach it.

Thanks

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Dont do this together, if you are applying for PR then dont do WP. It will get rejected. My friend was in the express entry pool and he applied for PR. His wp was rejected.

vympel001

Oct 23, 2020
I spoke to my company's immigration attorney and they told me its absolutely fine to apply both together. They told me over email that there will be no negative impact on the WP. Can you share more details about your friend? I spoke to a number of other registered immigration consultants of Canada. They told me the same.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
I spoke to my company's immigration attorney and they told me its absolutely fine to apply both together. They told me over email that there will be no negative impact on the WP. Can you share more details about your friend? I spoke to a number of other registered immigration consultants of Canada. They told me the same.
Well i told you a real experience but if your learned lawyers are telling you that then i guess you should trust them . :)

vympel001

Oct 23, 2020
Can you share what was the reason for rejection. Its typically written in the rejection letter that your friend received? Please let me know as it will be immensely helpful.

Also, I have just received an ITA and I have not submitted it yet. At what stage was your friend in the PR application?

Thanks

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Can you share what was the reason for rejection. Its typically written in the rejection letter that your friend received? Please let me know as it will be immensely helpful.

Also, I have just received an ITA and I have not submitted it yet. At what stage was your friend in the PR application?

Thanks
Like i said before my friend was in the express entry pool, he has not even received the ITA even. He is in Cognizant and he was in USA. So his company applied for WP and that was rejected. When he asked his immigration team why was he rejected because all his colleagues got the visa so his lawyers told him that because he was in the express entry pool thats why his wp was rejected. This is basically a conflict because on one side you are looking for a long term pr visa and on the other side your are applying for a short term temporary WP. Then he withdrew his express entry profile and Cognizant applied again for WP and then he got approved for WP. I hope that clarifies...

vympel001

Oct 23, 2020
Understood. Just to confirm he received the WP after withdrawing the Express Entry profile? So withdrawing the EE profile had no negative impact? In the revised work permit application what did he write about "Have you been refused a work permit, etc. in the past"? If you don't mind could you check with him. It would be super helpful.

My company's immigration attorney says they cannot help with my PR application so I am trying to get a sense on what to do.

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020
Understood. Just to confirm he received the WP after withdrawing the Express Entry profile? So withdrawing the EE profile had no negative impact? In the revised work permit application what did he write about "Have you been refused a work permit, etc. in the past"? If you don't mind could you check with him. It would be super helpful.

My company's immigration attorney says they cannot help with my PR application so I am trying to get a sense on what to do.
Need some help and expert advise
I got an invite in the recent CEC draw and planning to submit the EE profile by Aug 2021 end as PCC is awaited.
My closed work permit is valid till Dec 2021 and the company has visibility for 2022 end so had asked to apply for an extension.
1. Should I apply for WP extension now and then submit PR application? I don't want my company to know about my PR application.
2. If I submit for PR application by Aug end, can I still plan to submit the Work Permit extension by Sept or Oct. Will this cause an issue?
3. My spouse is on Open work permit based on my closed WP and daughter is on dependent visitor visa. We have applied for TRV in Feb 20 but it's still awaited.
Do we need to wait for TRV to come before we apply for an extension?
Thank you in advance.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Need some help and expert advise
I got an invite in the recent CEC draw and planning to submit the EE profile by Aug 2021 end as PCC is awaited.
My closed work permit is valid till Dec 2021 and the company has visibility for 2022 end so had asked to apply for an extension.
1. Should I apply for WP extension now and then submit PR application? I don't want my company to know about my PR application.
2. If I submit for PR application by Aug end, can I still plan to submit the Work Permit extension by Sept or Oct. Will this cause an issue?
3. My spouse is on Open work permit based on my closed WP and daughter is on dependent visitor visa. We have applied for TRV in Feb 20 but it's still awaited.
Do we need to wait for TRV to come before we apply for an extension?
Thank you in advance.
So, first thing, once you apply a PR application and you get an AOR, you are eligible to apply for BOWP. Its a very well known process detailed here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

So, technically just submit your CEC PR application and immediately apply (under above link).

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020
So, first thing, once you apply a PR application and you get an AOR, you are eligible to apply for BOWP. Its a very well known process detailed here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

So, technically just submit your CEC PR application and immediately apply (under above link).
Thank you for your help and response.
I do not want my company to know about my PR application as I am on closed WP and once we plan for applying BOWP the company will get to know the reason of BOWP application. Can I still apply for normal WP if the company initiates the extension?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Thank you for your help and response.
I do not want my company to know about my PR application as I am on closed WP and once we plan for applying BOWP the company will get to know the reason of BOWP application. Can I still apply for normal WP if the company initiates the extension?
Why would company know that you are applying for BOWP?

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020
Why would company know that you are applying for BOWP?
My WP extension will be filled by the Company attorney and there is a section on the Work Permit application form where we need to mention the previous/ongoing application details under Background Information.
Is there an option where I can apply the BOWP myself and can include my Spouse for Open WP and also 6 years old daughter in the BOWP application?
Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
My WP extension will be filled by the Company attorney and there is a section on the Work Permit application form where we need to mention the previous/ongoing application details under Background Information.
Is there an option where I can apply the BOWP myself and can include my Spouse for Open WP and also 6 years old daughter in the BOWP application?
Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
Did you read this ? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020
Yes I went through the link.
My only worry is that the company has asked me to apply for a WP extension so I may have to keep working on both the PR (PCC is awaited) and WP application together.
I am thinking to submit the PR application first and then apply for WP extension through the company attorney.
@mr.preetsingh Need your advise. I have submitted the PR application and planning to submit the usual/normal Work permit application through the company attorney. We are planning to visit home country so would apply for Work Permit extension till PR application is in progress. Do you think there will be any issue with Work Permit extension? Thanks in advance.