+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying For a Visa for the Spouse after Reaching Canada

slash2021

Aug 28, 2012
Hi,

I am from India and I am an MBA student at SMU halifax. I arrived 2 weeks ago , I got the study permit and for financial reasons didnot apply for a TRV for my spouse with me, but now I would like to bring her to Canada . But the consultant says that to receive a temporary resident Visa, I need to show my name in a lease agreement at halifax as proof that I would be able to accommodate her . Plus there seems to be a requirement to demonstrate her ties with the home country(India), I need to know how successful a TRV would be if she's applying as a self sponsored visitor and If there are any other better ways to get a successful Visa ? If some one could grasp my predicament and advise, I would be very thankful.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
slash2021 said:
Hi,

I am from India and I am an MBA student at SMU halifax. I arrived 2 weeks ago , I got the study permit and for financial reasons didnot apply for a TRV for my spouse with me, but now I would like to bring her to Canada . But the consultant says that to receive a temporary resident Visa, I need to show my name in a lease agreement at halifax as proof that I would be able to accommodate her . Plus there seems to be a requirement to demonstrate her ties with the home country(India), I need to know how successful a TRV would be if she's applying as a self sponsored visitor and If there are any other better ways to get a successful Visa ? If some one could grasp my predicament and advise, I would be very thankful.
i am not an expert but i do see a couple of problems in ur approach as self sponsored visitor.
1. she may or may not get visa for entire duration of ur study. visitors visas are 6months normally
2. she may get a single entry visa(not sure about this)
3.she will still have to add ur name and info in family information of application and could cause complications
4.she will still need to show ties unless u she has a very good reason to return.
wait for more replies

slash2021

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for your reply mead .

Since I am a full time student , my spouse is eligible for an open work permit for the term of my studies once she gets here, however since she doesn't have a job at hand,I'm afraid that she has to enter as a visitor . This shows a basic flaw in the system which is self contradicting as work permit without ability to enter doesn't help any.

I'm not sure if adding my details in the family info form would cause any complications, and yes she has strong family ties which she can exhibit for the visa application.

But yeah i've noted your points and expecting more soon.
Cheers ![flash=200,200][/flash]