+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying as a SINGLE for Express Entry when being in a common law relationship with a Canadian citizenship

Kokis

Jul 24, 2021
Hello all! I hope someone can help me :)

I am a Canadian citizen common-law partner. However, a lawyer suggested in a consultation to apply as a SINGLE for the Express Entry - CEC program. I did and I got an ITA.
He mentioned that after I will have to state that I am in CL relations, but for the purpose of points, for the system, I will be as single.
My question is when should I state I am in a CL relation? When answering the questionnaires, to get the documents that I need to apply for the PR or when submitting the documents (I will write a letter of explanation for my situation)?
Has anyone had the same experience?
Any advises?

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022

I am a Canadian citizen common-law partner. However, a lawyer suggested in a consultation to apply as a SINGLE for the Express Entry - CEC program. I did and I got an ITA.
He mentioned that after I will have to state that I am in CL relations, but for the purpose of points, for the system, I will be as single.
My question is when should I state I am in a CL relation? When answering the questionnaires, to get the documents that I need to apply for the PR or when submitting the documents (I will write a letter of explanation for my situation)?
Any advises?
Question: why are you applying for immigration if you are a Canadian Citizen?

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Question: why are you applying for immigration if you are a Canadian Citizen?
Ah! The topic says your common law partner is Canadian.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022

Any advises?
I am not sure you could do that... considering you are in common-law relationship and your partner is a Canadian citizen, its not going to cost you much in terms of points. What is your CRS post declaring as commom law?
It is better to upfront say that you are in common - law relationship and get the docs to prove that.