+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply Vistor visa within Canada (holding work permit)

timothysham

Jul 11, 2016
Hi all, did anyone apply Visitor visa while having work permit?

Reason why I am asking is because my work permit is expiring and I am waiting my Permanent Residency to be processed. I do not want to go home and wait and hoping to the visitor status would allow me to stay in Canada for a while longer.

Please let me know if you have a similar situation.

Thanks,
Tim

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reason why I am asking is because my work permit is expiring and I am waiting my Permanent Residency to be processed. I do not want to go home and wait and hoping to the visitor status would allow me to stay in Canada for a while longer.
There is a thing like Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants. Look it up at www.cic.gc.ca

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

timothysham

Jul 11, 2016
Regina said:
There is a thing like Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants.
Thanks for the info. I know about it but I wouldn't be able to apply without "a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province"... sadly :(

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
timothysham said:
Thanks for the info. I know about it but I wouldn't be able to apply without "a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province"... sadly :(
You do not have to be a Provincial nominee.

Provincial nominees and permanent residence applications
the gap between the expiry of their current work permit and the final decision on their application for permanent residence (APR). They must have submitted an application for permanent residence under one of the following classes:

the federal skilled worker class (FSWC);
the Canadian experience class (CEC);
the federal skilled trades class (FSTC);
What program did you apply?

timothysham

Jul 11, 2016
Regina said:
So?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp
On what stage are you with PR process? Have you got ITA?
I don't think I can apply for BOWP. I haven't got ITA. I am in the pool of candidates with 418 score. I can't right? Also, not sure what R10 completeness check is. See below.

their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check; or
they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above;
have applied for an open work permit;
have paid the work permit processing fee and the open work permit holder fee; and
have provided, as applicable, evidence (e.g., nomination certificate) that their provincial nomination is unrestricted.