+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply PR: how to calculate 1 yr (12 m) work exp?

burningheart

Jun 2, 2023
Hello everyone,

I come from HK. I have been in Canada since 202203. I would like to apply for PR via the Hong Kong pathway stream B, which requires applicants "must have accumulated 1 year (12 months) of full-time (at least 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in part-time, for a total of at least 1,560 hours) authorized Canadian work experience at any skill level within the 3 years before they apply)."

While I believe I meet the requirements, I am unsure and would greatly appreciate your insights.

Here is a breakdown of my work experience:

6/13/2022 - 9/20/2022: Full-time contract position, averaging 44 hours a week.
11/14/2022 - 5/10/2023: Full-time permanent position, averaging 40 hours a week.
6/5/2023 - 9/20/2023: Full-time contract position (yet to be completed), averaging 44 hours a week.

Considering the above, I am unsure if my work experience satisfies the 1-year requirement. I will have a total of 57 weeks of working experience, and the jobs I have are all full-time, accounting for 30 hours per week. When calculating the total hours worked, it exceeds 1560 hours.

However, I have two specific concerns that have been causing confusion and worry:

I will have three incomplete weeks of work (meaning my job ended on Tuesday/Wednesday or my future contract will end on Wednesday), and during these few weeks, I did not work more than 30 hours during these few weeks. Will ICC round down these weeks and exclude them from the calculation? Even if they are rounded down, I will still have 54 weeks of work, which, when combined with the hours, will exceed the required 1560 hours. Is my understanding correct?

My main concern is that I will not have 12 full calendar months of working experience. How does the IRCC calculate the working experience? Will I be considered eligible after I finish my upcoming contract job?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you can share regarding the calculation of working experience and how the IRCC assesses this requirement. Your guidance will help alleviate my confusion and worry.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I come from HK. I have been in Canada since 202203. I would like to apply for PR via the Hong Kong pathway stream B, which requires applicants "must have accumulated 1 year (12 months) of full-time (at least 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in part-time, for a total of at least 1,560 hours) authorized Canadian work experience at any skill level within the 3 years before they apply)."

While I believe I meet the requirements, I am unsure and would greatly appreciate your insights.

Here is a breakdown of my work experience:

6/13/2022 - 9/20/2022: Full-time contract position, averaging 44 hours a week.
11/14/2022 - 5/10/2023: Full-time permanent position, averaging 40 hours a week.
6/5/2023 - 9/20/2023: Full-time contract position (yet to be completed), averaging 44 hours a week.

Considering the above, I am unsure if my work experience satisfies the 1-year requirement. I will have a total of 57 weeks of working experience, and the jobs I have are all full-time, accounting for 30 hours per week. When calculating the total hours worked, it exceeds 1560 hours.

However, I have two specific concerns that have been causing confusion and worry:

I will have three incomplete weeks of work (meaning my job ended on Tuesday/Wednesday or my future contract will end on Wednesday), and during these few weeks, I did not work more than 30 hours during these few weeks. Will ICC round down these weeks and exclude them from the calculation? Even if they are rounded down, I will still have 54 weeks of work, which, when combined with the hours, will exceed the required 1560 hours. Is my understanding correct?

My main concern is that I will not have 12 full calendar months of working experience. How does the IRCC calculate the working experience? Will I be considered eligible after I finish my upcoming contract job?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you can share regarding the calculation of working experience and how the IRCC assesses this requirement. Your guidance will help alleviate my confusion and worry.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
I don't know if IRCC would be very strict about the calculation.

But it appears you are not working during:

9/21/2022 - 11/13/2022 and 2 full time jobs during:

5/6/2023 to 5/10/2023

So just to be safe, you should apply only when you are really sure about your calculation.

burningheart

Jun 2, 2023
I don't know if IRCC would be very strict about the calculation.

But it appears you are not working during:

9/21/2022 - 11/13/2022 and 2 full time jobs during:

5/6/2023 to 5/10/2023

So just to be safe, you should apply only when you are really sure about your calculation.
Thank you very much for your quick response. The IRCC website for HK pathway stream B states that, "Canadian work experience does not need to be continuous to qualify"

I have excluded the periods of unemployment. My calculation only focuses on my working periods, which are,

6/13/2022 - 9/20/2022: 15 weeks
11/14/2022 - 5/10/2023: 26 weeks
6/5/2023 - 9/20/2023: 16 weeks

The total number of working weeks is 57. And my question is whether 57 weeks are equivalent to 1 year (12 months).

Thank you again for your reminder.

Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/pathways-hong-kong/assessing.html

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much for your quick response. The IRCC website for HK pathway stream B states that, "Canadian work experience does not need to be continuous to qualify"

I have excluded the periods of unemployment. My calculation only focuses on my working periods, which are,

6/13/2022 - 9/20/2022: 15 weeks
11/14/2022 - 5/10/2023: 26 weeks
6/5/2023 - 9/20/2023: 16 weeks

The total number of working weeks is 57. And my question is whether 57 weeks are equivalent to 1 year (12 months).

Thank you again for your reminder.

Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/pathways-hong-kong/assessing.html
52 weeks is the average number of weeks in a normal year. And 57 is more than 52.

burningheart

Jun 2, 2023
52 weeks is the average number of weeks in a normal year. And 57 is more than 52.
Thank you for your response again. Are you trying to say my total 57 weeks (despite 3 weeks being incomplete) of working experience can meet the 1-year requirement? I know I may sound stupid but I just want to confirm with other people. I am worried.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your response again. Are you trying to say my total 57 weeks (despite 3 weeks being incomplete) of working experience can meet the 1-year requirement? I know I may sound stupid but I just want to confirm with other people. I am worried.
I think it's pretty clear in the link that you provided.
As long as none of those are during full-time studies or self employment, they counts. Note the vacation section referring to 52 weeks period. (that's the 1 year)

Applicants in Stream B must have accumulated 1 year (12 months) of full-time (at least 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in part-time, for a total of at least 1,560 hours) authorized Canadian work experience at any skill level within the 3 years before they apply).

Any work experience acquired during full-time studies or self-employment does not count under this public policy.

Canadian work experience does not need to be continuous to qualify, but the period of 12 months of required employment does not include

• any extended absence from Canada (including any time worked for an employer outside Canada)
  • periods of unemployment
  • prolonged sickness
  • parental leave
A reasonable period of vacation time will be counted towards meeting the work experience requirement. For example, a 2-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work would qualify, whether that period of vacation was taken in Canada or outside Canada.

burningheart

Jun 2, 2023
As long as none of those are during full-time studies or self employment, they counts. Note the vacation section referring to 52 weeks period. (that's the 1 year)

Applicants in Stream B must have accumulated 1 year (12 months) of full-time (at least 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in part-time, for a total of at least 1,560 hours) authorized Canadian work experience at any skill level within the 3 years before they apply).

Any work experience acquired during full-time studies or self-employment does not count under this public policy.

Canadian work experience does not need to be continuous to qualify, but the period of 12 months of required employment does not include

• any extended absence from Canada (including any time worked for an employer outside Canada)
  • prolonged sickness
  • parental leave
A reasonable period of vacation time will be counted towards meeting the work experience requirement. For example, a 2-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work would qualify, whether that period of vacation was taken in Canada or outside Canada.
Thank you for your response and your effort in looking into my problem too.

I think I am pretty sure now after I finish my next contract job, I will meet the requirement for "1 year of full-time work experience".

My final confusion is whether IRCC will count 2-3 days as a whole week. My final week at every past job and future job ended / will end on Tuesday or Wednesday. And I am wondering if those final weeks count as "a full week". I hope you understand my concern.

But I guess it's not a big deal. After I finish the upcoming contract full-time job, even excluding those incomplete final weeks, I will have 54 weeks in total, which exceeds 1 year, and 1560 hours.

Do you think I understand IRCC correctly?

Liliang620

Jun 28, 2024

• prolonged sickness
  • parental leave
Hi! I am wondering where can I find the information about “A reasonable period of vacation time will be counted towards meeting the work experience requirement.”

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi! I am wondering where can I find the information about “A reasonable period of vacation time will be counted towards meeting the work experience requirement.”

Thank you!
A very simple rule of thumb would be that 2 weeks will definitely be considered as in reasonable, especially if time while one was with a single employer (eg if the vacation time was bracketed with work with that employer). I don't know for certain, this two weeks is just common Canadian (statutory?) vacation time.