+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply PR for baby born outside Canada?

Damselmk

Mar 20, 2020
Hello, my baby daughter is 8 months old now and was born in Iran. Due to me being a Canadian born inside Canada- my daughter is automatically considered a Canadian citizen and I've applied for her proof of citizenship.

Should I also be adding her to my wifes sponsorship application and applying for her permanent residence??

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, my baby daughter is 8 months old now and was born in Iran. Due to me being a Canadian born inside Canada- my daughter is automatically considered a Canadian citizen and I've applied for her proof of citizenship.

Should I also be adding her to my wifes sponsorship application and applying for her permanent residence??
1. No, read the instructions, she is already a citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

No, you cannot add a citizen to an application for permanent residence. You should add her to the 'family information form' - if you've already applied, then submit an updated one by webform.

For your daughter, you'll need to apply for a passport for her. I believe the procedure for citizens who do not yet have citizenship certificate is that you include a copy of the application for the certificate and other info to show that she is the daughter of a citizen-by-birth. (And IRCC issues a temporary passport or similar on basis that her claim to citizenship is clear.)

Good luck, let others know how it works.

Reactions: Damselmk