+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply online from within Canada

filotti

Jun 29, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm now in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa. When I entered Canada I got a stamp on my passport but not an exit date, so that means that my TRV is valid for 6 months. I got a job offer so I'm waiting to get the positive LMO to apply for a Temporary Work Permit (it would be my first one).

I read on the CIC's website that you can now apply online from within Canada. That site says:

You are eligible to apply for a Work Permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you:

- You have a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for 6 months or more

What does that mean? My Temporary Resident Permit was valid for 6 months when I got here, but I have about 2 months remaining. Should I apply for an extension?

And if I get the permit, do I have to go to the US border and back? I have a valid US visitor visa, and I already crossed the border when visiting Niagara falls without any problems.

Also, my country's office seems to be processing work permits in 15 days (!), so maybe it's better that I sent the documents there, but can I do that without leaving Canada?

This forum has been very helpful in researching how to come to Canada, and I'm hoping to hear from your recent experiences about this new process of applying online for work permits.

Kind regards,

Ariel

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

filotti said:
Hey everyone,

I'm now in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa. When I entered Canada I got a stamp on my passport but not an exit date, so that means that my TRV is valid for 6 months. I got a job offer so I'm waiting to get the positive LMO to apply for a Temporary Work Permit (it would be my first one).

I read on the CIC's website that you can now apply online from within Canada. That site says:

You are eligible to apply for a Work Permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you:

- You have a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for 6 months or more

What does that mean? My Temporary Resident Permit was valid for 6 months when I got here, but I have about 2 months remaining. Should I apply for an extension?

And if I get the permit, do I have to go to the US border and back? I have a valid US visitor visa, and I already crossed the border when visiting Niagara falls without any problems.

Also, my country's office seems to be processing work permits in 15 days (!), so maybe it's better that I sent the documents there, but can I do that without leaving Canada?

This forum has been very helpful in researching how to come to Canada, and I'm hoping to hear from your recent experiences about this new process of applying online for work permits.

Kind regards,

Ariel
Re-read the statement you quoted. You have a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) not a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) so you can't apply in Canada.

filotti

Jun 29, 2010
Oh, I thought a Temporary Resident Visa and a Temporary Resident Permit were the same thing.

So, I guess my best option would be to travel back to my country and apply there, wait 15 days for the permit and get back here.

Thanks!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
filotti said:
Oh, I thought a Temporary Resident Visa and a Temporary Resident Permit were the same thing.

So, I guess my best option would be to travel back to my country and apply there, wait 15 days for the permit and get back here.

Thanks!
If you are visa exempt to Canada and the US you can apply at the border.

filotti

Jun 29, 2010
rjessome said:
If you are visa exempt to Canada and the US you can apply at the border.
I am NOT visa exempt to Canada or the US, but I do hold valid tourist visas for both. Can I still apply at the border?