+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Toon993

Oct 20, 2018
Here's a last resort.

DO NOT SAVE THE FORM BEFORE PRINTING.

Fill in all the information on the application form, double-check the information and then print it. DO NOT SAVE IT at any point before printing. Once you've printed the form, re-check the information on the printed form and then save the soft copy.

I had a similar issue with old version of the form (pre October 2020 version) where an extra column header would be added for Q 12(b) each time I 'saved' the application. I filled in a new application and never saved it until I printed it. I was able to get a flawless application form.
I'll try it and let you know!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

LifeRacer

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
Huh? There is NO guarantor signature requirement for photos for your citizenship application.

Here are the official photo specifications and instructions.

I think you must have confused photo specifications and requirements for passport application with citizenship application. Guarantor signature is required only for passport application photos and NOT for citizenship applications.
Thanks ! Does the specifications differ for Citizenship application and passport? If at all the photographer stamped with guarantor signature behind the photos, will it be an issue if we ourselves sign on it and submit it along with the application?
Please advice !

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks ! Does the specifications differ for Citizenship application and passport? If at all the photographer stamped with guarantor signature behind the photos, will it be an issue if we ourselves sign on it and submit it along with the application?
Please advice !
Photographers do tend to affix the guarantor stamp by default, even for citizenship application photos, which have different specs from the passport photos. AFAIK, the face size specs are similar, but the passport photos are bigger for more buffer room.

Toon993

Oct 20, 2018
Here's a last resort.

DO NOT SAVE THE FORM BEFORE PRINTING.

Fill in all the information on the application form, double-check the information and then print it. DO NOT SAVE IT at any point before printing. Once you've printed the form, re-check the information on the printed form and then save the soft copy.

I had a similar issue with old version of the form (pre October 2020 version) where an extra column header would be added for Q 12(b) each time I 'saved' the application. I filled in a new application and never saved it until I printed it. I was able to get a flawless application form.
@rajkamalmohanram I tried it (printed without saving) and the form still adds it in in the soft copy. I think I'll explain in the letter of explanation.
One last area where I need a bit of advice: for Q11, I completed an internship (under a coop work permit) which ended on August 26 2016 and then classes started after labour day. So for the entry on returning to school should the from date be 2016-09 or 2016-08? Given that there is an overlap, I'm not sure the level of specificity IRCC is looking for.

Thank you for all your help so far :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram I tried it (printed without saving) and the form still adds it in in the soft copy. I think I'll explain in the letter of explanation.
One last area where I need a bit of advice: for Q11, I completed an internship (under a coop work permit) which ended on August 26 2016 and then classes started after labour day. So for the entry on returning to school should the from date be 2016-09 or 2016-08? Given that there is an overlap, I'm not sure the level of specificity IRCC is looking for.

Thank you for all your help so far :)
There can be overlaps in that section. As long as there are no gaps, you should be fine.

Reactions: Toon993

Toon993

Oct 20, 2018
Hi there,
Last question, according to the physical calculator, if my application date is June 30 for example, would it be fair to validate the form, print and sign on the 30th? Or should I validate on the 29th, but put June 30 as the date in the box?

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi there,
Last question, according to the physical calculator, if my application date is June 30 for example, would it be fair to validate the form, print and sign on the 30th? Or should I validate on the 29th, but put June 30 as the date in the box?
Validate it on the day you sign your application

Reactions: Toon993

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hello @rajkamalmohanram
I am waiting for my new passport renewal to submit my application.
It is getting delayed already due to covid reasons.
I was supposed to be applying 10 days ago and the new passport will take another 2-3 weeks atleast to be delivered.

Do you recommend I go ahead and apply with my old passport or wait until new passport arrives?

Thanks in advance.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello @rajkamalmohanram
I am waiting for my new passport renewal to submit my application.
It is getting delayed already due to covid reasons.
I was supposed to be applying 10 days ago and the new passport will take another 2-3 weeks atleast to be delivered.

Do you recommend I go ahead and apply with my old passport or wait until new passport arrives?

Thanks in advance.
There is no need to have a valid passport for the citizenship application. Just include a letter of explanation mentioning that you've applied for renewal and attach the confirmation email. Should be good enough.

Reactions: Troy2245

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Hi, May I ask help in filling up the application form in Question4. I need clarification regarding entering full name. It says:
Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)

I recently got a new PR card with my new surname, so should I put that in or the old one which is in my Record of landing and COPR? Because when I try to put in the new surname, the following question asks if I changed my name since becoming PR, so I have to say YES and then next I have to put in my new legal name which is the same info from the above. Problem is I get the pop up error and cant proceed because of the same info I think. So I guess I have to put in my old surname first? Can anyone confirm me? Thanks a lot..
@elle03 Have you figured out the answer to this question as I had the same one.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@elle03 Have you figured out the answer to this question as I had the same one.
Hi, May I ask help in filling up the application form in Question4. I need clarification regarding entering full name. It says:
Your full name as shown on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)

I recently got a new PR card with my new surname, so should I put that in or the old one which is in my Record of landing and COPR? Because when I try to put in the new surname, the following question asks if I changed my name since becoming PR, so I have to say YES and then next I have to put in my new legal name which is the same info from the above. Problem is I get the pop up error and cant proceed because of the same info I think. So I guess I have to put in my old surname first? Can anyone confirm me? Thanks a lot..
It CLEARLY states "or Last Permanent Residence Card (PR Card)". You SHOULD always use the current name as a general rule. If the name on the other immigration documents (like COPR) are not current, you'll have to get them updated.

mehtaworld

Aug 12, 2017
Great thread and thanks @rajkamalmohanram for creating this.

For question 13 in the form cit0002e, the [Country or territory] doesn't have the option of Schengen area. I have had a visitor visa and since "Visitor" is one of the options in the [Status] field, I suppose we need to mention it, no?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Great thread and thanks @rajkamalmohanram for creating this.

For question 13 in the form cit0002e, the [Country or territory] doesn't have the option of Schengen area. I have had a visitor visa and since "Visitor" is one of the options in the [Status] field, I suppose we need to mention it, no?
Well, in that case, you can add the particular country that issued you the Schengen visa .

Reactions: mehtaworld