+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Some questions I had-

1 - Whats the current timeline for receiving a Canadian passport? So say I complete my oath ceremony tomorrow and have asked for a digital citizenship certificate. Whats the passport request and reception timeline and how slow is it moving atm?

2 - I applied for citizenship in May and seem to be on track to complete all processes in November/December- exactly when I'm travelling out of the country. Worst case scenario- how can I delay my processing speed to Jan?

3 - As an Indian citizen, when exactly do I have to give up my Indian passport/citizenship? Is it after the oath ceremony, can I still use it to travel with travel visas in November/December before or after the oath ceremony?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Some questions I had-

1 - Whats the current timeline for receiving a Canadian passport? So say I complete my oath ceremony tomorrow and have asked for a digital citizenship certificate. Whats the passport request and reception timeline and how slow is it moving atm?

2 - I applied for citizenship in May and seem to be on track to complete all processes in November/December- exactly when I'm travelling out of the country. Worst case scenario- how can I delay my processing speed to Jan?

3 - As an Indian citizen, when exactly do I have to give up my Indian passport/citizenship? Is it after the oath ceremony, can I still use it to travel with travel visas in November/December before or after the oath ceremony?
1. If you ready to pay Expedited services fees and have travel plan proofs you can even get it in a day
2. You dont need to. IRCC is an expert in that :)
3. After oath ceremony you should not use Indian passport as you are no longer an Indian citizen. There are fines if you do that.

Reactions: trickshot555

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Hi friends

How long does it take to receive ceremony/oath email after the language/physical presence on tracker be finalized? Thanks so much for your help

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
1. If you ready to pay Expedited services fees and have travel plan proofs you can even get it in a day
2. You dont need to. IRCC is an expert in that :)
3. After oath ceremony you should not use Indian passport as you are no longer an Indian citizen. There are fines if you do that.
1 - So with a digital citizenship. Say I do my oath ceremony tomorrow, how long does the digital certificate take to arrive?

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Say the process is going slowly, would it be okay if I am out of the country? I suppose I can't take my oath ceremony when I'm out of the country.

MelVan

Star Member
Aug 2, 2022
Say the process is going slowly, would it be okay if I am out of the country? I suppose I can't take my oath ceremony when I'm out of the country.
IRCC's current view of the law is that you must be physically in Canada to make the citizenship oath in person or remotely by videolink.

It is possible to reschedule your oath date at least once (there are reports on this forum of rescheduling more than once). The instructions for doing so will be in your oath invitation email.

The length of time IRCC takes to reschedule an oath date does not appear to have any official published standards. Based on my searches on this forum, a rescheduled oath date can be from a couple of weeks to several months after the original oath date.

I was originally scheduled to make my oath on 27 May 2023. That week I needed to be in the UK for my late father-in-law's memorial, so I requested rescheduling, following the instructions in my oath invitation email. I have heard nothing from IRCC since. My IRCC tracker shows that my file was touched on 22 June 2023 when the status of citizenship ceremony was changed from "in progress" to "not started". I am hoping that means that there is some movement and I will shortly receive a rescheduled oath invitation. But who knows?

If I knew that there would be this delay and uncertainty in getting a rescheduled oath date, I would have raced back to Canada immediately after my F-I-L's funeral (rather than staying on with family for a couple more days) to make my oath (I think I could have made it back in time).

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Hi all

I have been scheduled for the oath next week but still have not received the invitation by email. I am worries, what should I do?

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Normally people receive 2-3 weeks before too, if oath is scheduled early. But as only a week is left for you. Call IRCC.
I will do so, thanks so much. Also, will IRCC call us for the event or is it just sending us the email? I received some calls from BC though did not reply, maybe they were iRCC? Thanks

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Hi Friends,
Have question on listing all addresses when filling for citizenship, following is the question first
Q10 (a): Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you.
  • Enter all your addresses you've lived in throughout your 5-year eligibility period (inside and outside Canada). Start from the most recent one.
  • This includes the addresses you lived in your home country if you lived there for a part of the 5-year eligibility period.
  • You do NOT have to include the addresses of friends, family or hotels where you stayed if you went to a country on vacation.
  • DO NOT LEAVE ANY GAPS. The dates MUST BE CONTINUOUS. IF THERE ARE GAPS HERE, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AS INCOMPLETE.

My question:
1- Do I have to list all the different cities i went to while living in a specific country too? even if i was there for 2-3 days?
2- I am applying for citizenship after 3 years (1095 days), so the time period above does not cover in 5 year eligibility period, but I have to put last 5 years of travel history otherwise, i cannot submit the application.

Thank you

Regards,

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Friends,
Have question on listing all addresses when filling for citizenship, following is the question first
Q10 (a): Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you.
  • Enter all your addresses you've lived in throughout your 5-year eligibility period (inside and outside Canada). Start from the most recent one.
  • This includes the addresses you lived in your home country if you lived there for a part of the 5-year eligibility period.
  • You do NOT have to include the addresses of friends, family or hotels where you stayed if you went to a country on vacation.
  • DO NOT LEAVE ANY GAPS. The dates MUST BE CONTINUOUS. IF THERE ARE GAPS HERE, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AS INCOMPLETE.

My question:
1- Do I have to list all the different cities i went to while living in a specific country too? even if i was there for 2-3 days?

Thank you

Regards,
-No you don’t have to mention the addresses you visited as a tourist/business

This is not a travel history question it’s merely asking you to mention the address you resided at in the last 5 years

Last edited:
Reactions: eninevo