+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
It is probably because you missed to write "N/A" or "Not Applicable" in that box. It isn't safe to leave anything blank in the application, I guess. I'm sorry your application was returned for this reason, it sucks.
I had to update my inputs after reading these comments to include Not Applicable on all our application forms ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
After seeing your post, I checked back the guidance for this Question 14 as following: "
Check either yes or no.
If you check yes, complete the chart Type your valid passport or travel document number exactly as shown on the document. Make sure there is no space between each number or letter."
In this case, it's better to put the expired date of cancelled passport exactly showing in the biographical page and fill Not Application or Overlap (with explanation letter) per advice bye Raj.
Regardless, it was outrageous that IRCC returned his application. That question was specifically pertaining to "gaps". There were NO GAPS between his passports. Who are the people checking the completeness of citizenship applications? Are they just stupid?

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Wow! So comprehensive! Much thanks to you, @rajkamalmohanram for this one! I do have a question regarding my English language proof.

I finished my high school and college from the Philippines. My high school diploma is in English while my college diploma is in Filipino. With this, can I just use my high school diploma for my application so I don't have to go through the certified English translation and a request letter from my university, etc?

It does not mention though on the website that it has to be your latest or highest education received.
But then again again, I'm not quite sure about this so appreciate your inputs on this. Anyone have completed their education outside Canada, UK or US?

Thanks much!

CVLO

Aug 2, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have a question about fast-tracking the citizenship application when an applicant receives a job offer from the US and would lose the offer if the citizenship is not granted in a certain period of time.
If you have not received AOR yet, could you request your case to be processed urgently? How long would the case take to complete?
I appreciate it if you could share your information and experience!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
I have a question about fast-tracking the citizenship application when an applicant receives a job offer from the US and would lose the offer if the citizenship is not granted in a certain period of time.
If you have not received AOR yet, could you request your case to be processed urgently? How long would the case take to complete?
I appreciate it if you could share your information and experience!
You could certainly try but the chances of approval are very slim for this reason. If it is a job offer in Canada that requires citizenship, then it is likely (if you are somewhere in the process and the employer can confirm that citizenship is absolutely necessary for this position).

Raise a webform request, provide all the relevant documentation and request urgent processing. See if it works. There isn't a standard timeline for this.

Reactions: CVLO

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Wow! So comprehensive! Much thanks to you, @rajkamalmohanram for this one! I do have a question regarding my English language proof.

I finished my high school and college from the Philippines. My high school diploma is in English while my college diploma is in Filipino. With this, can I just use my high school diploma for my application so I don't have to go through the certified English translation and a request letter from my university, etc?

It does not mention though on the website that it has to be your latest or highest education received.
But then again again, I'm not quite sure about this so appreciate your inputs on this. Anyone have completed their education outside Canada, UK or US?

Thanks much!
Well, this is what it says.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
The program can be in or outside Canada.

If you did, send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French
There is no requirement that says your language proof needs to be your latest/highest education. As long as it secondary or post secondary program and the medium of instruction was English, you should be good.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Much thanks, @rajkamalmohanram ! :) I reckon the below are either/or?

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Well, this is what it says.

There is no requirement that says your language proof needs to be your latest/highest education. As long as it secondary or post secondary program and the medium of instruction was English, you should be good.
Just to add to this, just make sure that the diploma/degree shows you studied in English or French. Is there anything on the diploma/degree that states the "Language of instruction" or "Medium of Instruction" as English or French?

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Just to add to this, just make sure that the diploma/degree shows you studied in English or French. Is there anything on the diploma/degree that states the "Language of instruction" or "Medium of Instruction" as English or French?
No, there's nothing like that. But it's in English though. I wonder if anyone have tried it without mentioning Medium of Instruction...

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
No, there's nothing like that. But it's in English though. I wonder if anyone have tried it without mentioning Medium of Instruction...
Hmmm okay. It might be worthwhile to pay attention to that part. I submitted my IELTS report so I didn't have to worry about this.

If someone submitted a degree/diploma obtained outside Canada without medium of instruction mentioned, please respond. Thanks.

tbmht96

Apr 30, 2015
Regardless, it was outrageous that IRCC returned his application. That question was specifically pertaining to "gaps". There were NO GAPS between his passports. Who are the people checking the completeness of citizenship applications? Are they just stupid?
So I called CIC, and the person responding was just as surprised that the application had been returned only because the box to explain passport gaps was left blank. I guess a bureaucrat not doing their job properly - how surprising!

In any event, the agent I spoke with said to handwrite "Not Applicable - no gap between passports" and re-send the same application, alongside a letter explaining the situation and the CIC incomplete notice.

Hope this helps everyone.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So I called CIC, and the person responding was just as surprised that the application had been returned only because the box to explain passport gaps was left blank. I guess a bureaucrat not doing their job properly - how surprising!

In any event, the agent I spoke with said to handwrite "Not Applicable - no gap between passports" and re-send the same application, alongside a letter explaining the situation and the CIC incomplete notice.

Hope this helps everyone.
What a waste of your valuable time in order to go through the ordeal.. Hope this extra effort pays off