+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application at Montreal

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have landed at Vancouver january 2010 and moved to Montreal 6 months ago.I will make my application from
Montreal this August 2012. Do I have to take citizenship test in french? After the exam if I need to see the judge.
Do I have to talk in french? I speak medium french but not enough to take a text and talk with judge.

Thank you in advance...

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Silver77 said:
Hello everyone,

I have landed at Vancouver january 2010 and moved to Montreal 6 months ago.I will make my application from
Montreal this August 2012. Do I have to take citizenship test in french? After the exam if I need to see the judge.
Do I have to talk in french? I speak medium french but not enough to take a text and talk with judge.

Thank you in advance...
It's good to be able to say "Bonjour" so you can clarify that you are capable of buying milk and walking down the street in a majority francophone environment.

But if you look through the citizenship judge profiles you will see that many Montreal CJs are Anglophones or allophones and one of them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Springate) went so far down the Anglophone rabbit hole as to compare Québec to Nazi Germany and/or the Soviet Union in respect to Bill 22. So, um, this is not exactly a "parlez pas d'anglais svp" crowd. CJ is a plum federal appointment bestowed upon "good Canadian citizens". I would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of ardent sovereigntists working for the federal government, much less nabbing these political federal appointments.

Also, I went to a Canada Day Oath ceremony and it was decidedly bilingual.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Silver77 said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance...
No you don't have to speak french...adequate knowledge of french OR English (LEVEL 4).

Silver77

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Merci beaucoup.. Thank you for the replies..I had a friend from Romania newly immigrated to Canada. She claimed me that you have to proof your french to make an application from Montreal, your english knowledge is totally useless here. It was very annoying for me that I know Canada has 2 official languages. So we can choose any of those languages for federal government services.

montreal1009

Feb 24, 2013
Silver77 said:
Merci beaucoup.. Thank you for the replies..I had a friend from Romania newly immigrated to Canada. She claimed me that you have to proof your french to make an application from Montreal, your english knowledge is totally useless here. It was very annoying for me that I know Canada has 2 official languages. So we can choose any of those languages for federal government services.
this is absolutely not true! you could chose which language you are comfortable with even in the exam. in fact the exam was in french and english

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Silver77 said:
I had a friend from Romania newly immigrated to Canada. She claimed me that you have to proof your french to make an application from Montreal, your english knowledge is totally useless here.
The only possible grain of truth I could see in this is if a person goes to the interview or Judge's hearing and ne peut pas parler un mot de français, that might make the judge or officer look more critically at the applicant's residence, since Québec is a majority francophone society and it's hard to get by without being able to speak some French. An applicant who says they've lived here for years but is confused by the word "Bonjour" might be viewed suspiciously.

Beyond that, like you said, federal services are bilingual.