+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I mailed my application last Sunday (Feb 26) and they received my application today (Feb 29). Finger crossing! Hi Snow_walker, would you add me to the online file? Thanks!

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application

ejamal

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2011
AOR Received.
24-02-2012
Med's Request
25-5-2012
Passport Req..
28-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Just out of curiosity which of you got his/her masters degree from a Canadian University?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
ejamal said:
Just out of curiosity which of you got his/her masters degree from a Canadian University?
not me :(

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
ejamal said:
Just out of curiosity which of you got his/her masters degree from a Canadian University? I have a good
I didn't do masters! I was directly admitted to phd program @UofA after bachelor's...

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Bah, very quiet week with no news, eh?

xhiddenx

Mar 1, 2012
Hello everybody,
Could you please help me
I am eligible to apply for PhD category because I already passed two academic years. But my concern is the points. I will explain my situation below please advise me it is better to give another IELTS exam or do not wait and apply ASAP
I have 67 points with current IELTS score but one of two year experience was full time and has overlap with my study however on that time I had temporary break from school. If they do not accept this one year experience then my points will decrease to 65. On the other hand the lawyer of the university told me they accept research assistance as experience just for PhD category so with summer as full time and other months as part time I will have another 1 year experience that means that 2 points. So with this situation I should not do risk and give another IELTS exam to get more points or assume that they will accept that one year experience and then I will get 67 points.
Please guide me
Thanks

dj2009

Mar 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I sent my documents almost 20 days ago. Does anybody know what should I expect next?!

Thanks

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
xhiddenx said:
Hello everybody,
Could you please help me
I am eligible to apply for PhD category because I already passed two academic years. But my concern is the points. I will explain my situation below please advise me it is better to give another IELTS exam or do not wait and apply ASAP
I have 67 points with current IELTS score but one of two year experience was full time and has overlap with my study however on that time I had temporary break from school. If they do not accept this one year experience then my points will decrease to 65. On the other hand the lawyer of the university told me they accept research assistance as experience just for PhD category so with summer as full time and other months as part time I will have another 1 year experience that means that 2 points. So with this situation I should not do risk and give another IELTS exam to get more points or assume that they will accept that one year experience and then I will get 67 points.
Please guide me
Thanks

If I were you, I would:
-Make sure you have an year of continuous work experience or equivalent. Anything beyond that helps, but not much, but you need to have the ONE YEAR CONTINUOUS.
-Make sure you have the max amount of points in the the IELTS. If IELTS is to hard for you, try CELPIP, it is ridiculously easier.
Remember, improving you English will always be crucial in finding jobs afterwards. I myself plan to learn french after I finish my current project.

Apply if you can guarantee a few more points than 67. It is common for them to not to take things in consideration and assign less points for people.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
dj2009 said:
Hello everyone,

I sent my documents almost 20 days ago. Does anybody know what should I expect next?!

Thanks
They will cash your application and then send you an e-mail weeks afterwards confirming that your applications was received. Read the forum. Only two guys got to this point so far.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
TyrusX said:
Apply if you can guarantee a few more points than 67. It is common for them to not to take things in consideration and assign less points for people.

I heard from the other thread (don't remember which one) that somebody got less points for language than what his IELTS scores would've given him. And of course, he would've gotten just enough number of points if his IELTS scores were evaluated properly, which is why it is always good to be at least in the 70s to apply.

I can understand if the visa officer assigns fewer points than expected for things such as work experience, but there is a strict guideline on how to assign points based on the language test, and the fact that they make such mistakes (whether intentional or honest mistake) makes one questions their competency (or, heaven forbids, ill intentions). Imagine the frustration if you are in such situation. And of course, not to mention the completely unnecessary delay this 'honest' mistake would introduce...

xhiddenx

Mar 1, 2012
TyrusX said:
If I were you, I would:
-Make sure you have an year of continuous work experience or equivalent. Anything beyond that helps, but not much, but you need to have the ONE YEAR CONTINUOUS.
-Make sure you have the max amount of points in the the IELTS. If IELTS is to hard for you, try CELPIP, it is ridiculously easier.
Remember, improving you English will always be crucial in finding jobs afterwards. I myself plan to learn french after I finish my current project.

Thank you for your explanation
Yes my experience is continuous (two years part time + 1year full time), but only thing is overlap with my study. If I wait for next IELTS I will lose around 1month plus $300 even though I get more points to guarantee 67 points. So you mean I apply or try for another IELTS test?
I never heard about CELPIP, is it acceptable for PR? another question, I did my master in my country but I have done two years Ph.D study in Canada so far. So do they accept 5 points for adaptability? About research assistant do you guys hear that they accept it or not?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
xhiddenx said:
Thank you for your explanation
Yes my experience is continuous (two years part time + 1year full time), but only thing is overlap with my study. If I wait for next IELTS I will lose around 1month plus $300 even though I get more points to guarantee 67 points. So you mean I apply or try for another IELTS test?
I never heard about CELPIP, is it acceptable for PR? another question, I did my master in my country but I have done two years Ph.D study in Canada so far. So do they accept 5 points for adaptability? About research assistant do you guys hear that they accept it or not?
Yes, they do accept CELPIP. The adaptability counts. That should give you the extra points you need in case you didn't add that to your application. My suggestion to everyone is to read the regulations closely. Read the Overseas Procedures (OP-6) and the Guide as many times as you can and add a cover letter explaining how many points you have scored. Showing that you know the regulations will make your applications look stronger.