+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone joining University of Alberta winter 2014!!!

sahitan

May 10, 2013
Hi everyone, I am going to join UofA for winter 2014. Anyone else joining for the same term ??

shalam

Nov 22, 2013
I will be joining UofA for Winter 2014. I got accepted to the MSc Mechanical Engineering program now awaiting visa.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys

Did you already apply for your visas? (from which country?)....I am a UofA recent graduate ;)...and my brother is planning to go to UofA in 2014.

manojthambe

Nov 22, 2013
sahitan said:
Hi everyone, I am going to join UofA for winter 2014. Anyone else joining for the same term ??
Hey Hi!!!

I have been looking for some one who got admission in UA...thank god that I found you..

I have doubt regarding UA which I have expressed on this forum as well but got no replies, now that you are going to UA, I believe you can answer this better than any one...

About UA I became aware that three will be a probation period for students after first term (for GPA < 3.0) and that they have to improve their GPA in the second, failing which there is every possibility that student maybe dis-qualified from continuing in the program.

My question is

1) How tough is it to score & maintain that GPA of 3.0 minimum in all terms, for international students (especially from India) given the fact that we will be new to their curriculum and teaching methodology?

2) will we be able to get through this GPA cut-off keeping in mind that we have to balance our studies as well as need to go for a part time job?

please give our suggestion on this and if possible please share your profile, so that I can decide whether I stand a chance to get admission or not???

Manoj

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manojthambe said:
Hey Hi!!!

I have been looking for some one who got admission in UA...thank god that I found you..

I have doubt regarding UA which I have expressed on this forum as well but got no replies, now that you are going to UA, I believe you can answer this better than any one...

About UA I became aware that three will be a probation period for students after first term (for GPA < 3.0) and that they have to improve their GPA in the second, failing which there is every possibility that student maybe dis-qualified from continuing in the program.

My question is

1) How tough is it to score & maintain that GPA of 3.0 minimum in all terms, for international students (especially from India) given the fact that we will be new to their curriculum and teaching methodology?

2) will we be able to get through this GPA cut-off keeping in mind that we have to balance our studies as well as need to go for a part time job?

please give our suggestion on this and if possible please share your profile, so that I can decide whether I stand a chance to get admission or not???

Manoj
What has your academic profile been so far? Also are you in Meng program or MSc (under a prof)? ....First of all let me clear some misconceptions - there is not much difference in curriculum or teaching methods. Ihave already graduated from UofA so I can tell you that for sure...there are a few new things that you need to be careful about like plagiarism etc.

1. Getting more than 3.0 depends if you are willing to put in atleast an average amount of effort studying doing your assignments, labs and exams. It is fairly okay...most masters students are from good colleges in india/pakistan reflecting a decent amount of intellect.

2. Will you be able to manage the cut off ...depends entirely on you, your past academics and how fast you can get settled here.

Hope this helps.

manojthambe

Nov 22, 2013
vermanaman said:
What has your academic profile been so far? Also are you in Meng program or MSc (under a prof)? ....First of all let me clear some misconceptions - there is not much difference in curriculum or teaching methods. Ihave already graduated from UofA so I can tell you that for sure...there are a few new things that you need to be careful about like plagiarism etc.

1. Getting more than 3.0 depends if you are willing to put in atleast an average amount of effort studying doing your assignments, labs and exams. It is fairly okay...most masters students are from good colleges in india/pakistan reflecting a decent amount of intellect.

2. Will you be able to manage the cut off ...depends entirely on you, your past academics and how fast you can get settled here.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the insight, below is my profile...

10--79%
12--74%
B.Tech-63%

Will this be good enough to get admission into MEng-Mechanical (course based ) program??

Thanks

Manoj

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manojthambe said:
Thank you very much for the insight, below is my profile...

10--79%
12--74%
B.Tech-63%

Will this be good enough to get admission into MEng-Mechanical (course based ) program??

Thanks

Manoj
I cannot comment on this for sure. However, if you get good IELTS score, maybe GRE and strong letter of recommendation from your B Tech prof...I dont see why not.

manojthambe

Nov 22, 2013
vermanaman said:
I cannot comment on this for sure. However, if you get good IELTS score, maybe GRE and strong letter of recommendation from your B Tech prof...I dont see why not.
Ya I did give my IELTS and have an overall band score of 7 with no band less than 6

As far as GRE is concerned, was thinking it is not required by many Canadian universities so didn't give it a shot!!!

Manoj

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manojthambe said:
Ya I did give my IELTS and have an overall band score of 7 with no band less than 6

As far as GRE is concerned, was thinking it is not required by many Canadian universities so didn't give it a shot!!!

Manoj
All my friends who did Masters in UofA gave GRE - maybe it was a requirement couple of years back...not sure now...however, I think you should give GRE...it is still considered even if it is optional...besides it brings weight to your profile for admission unless you are from an IIT (in that case your scores are good enough) :p

manojthambe

Nov 22, 2013
vermanaman said:
All my friends who did Masters in UofA gave GRE - maybe it was a requirement couple of years back...not sure now...however, I think you should give GRE...it is still considered even if it is optional...besides it brings weight to your profile for admission unless you are from an IIT (in that case your scores are good enough) :p
Ya in that case will surely give my GRE test and then will apply for UA...

Thank you so very much for the info...

Manoj