+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone has got a dispensation for medial exam?

yingnan

Feb 10, 2017
Hello all, I just got an ITA in this latest draw. What bothers me now is the medical exam. I live in a place in America which is 10 hours away from the nearest panel physician. And I have two babies and a tight work schedule, so if possible I would like to avoid the long trip. I've learned that under a dispensation may be granted under exceptional circumstances so that applicants can use a non-panel physician. I was hoping that I could use an American immigration doctor in my area to perform the physical exam.

I searched this forum but only found two threads about dispensation, but both were posted in the pre-Express Entry days. Has anyone obtained a dispensation since the EE reform? Would you share your experience, like what is your basis of applying for a dispensation? Thank you very much!

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello all, I just got an ITA in this latest draw. What bothers me now is the medical exam. I live in a place in America which is 10 hours away from the nearest panel physician. And I have two babies and a tight work schedule, so if possible I would like to avoid the long trip. I've learned that under a dispensation may be granted under exceptional circumstances so that applicants can use a non-panel physician. I was hoping that I could use an American immigration doctor in my area to perform the physical exam.

I searched this forum but only found two threads about dispensation, but both were posted in the pre-Express Entry days. Has anyone obtained a dispensation since the EE reform? Would you share your experience, like what is your basis of applying for a dispensation? Thank you very much!
Congrats on the ITA! Bad luck about the medical, though. This is all I could find:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/exam/perform.asp

True, instructions don't make sense for EE now that medicals are "up front." Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to make the trip...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for your reply. But could you help me understand why up-front medicals leave no chance for dispensation?
My comment is based only on the info provided via the link - did you read it? (1) "very rare" to approve a dispensation for a medical exam outside of Canada; this is mainly for in-Canada requests; (2) there is no provision in the rules for requesting a dispensation BEFORE you apply (it only tells you how to do it in the case that medicals are not required up-front, as may be the case with other programs). Catch-22 - you're supposed to make the request to your Visa Office, but you cannot communicate with your visa office until after you apply and have a file #.

Can't hurt to try the email address that Canuck provided....