+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anybody on PGWP applied for US visa ??

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
I just wanted to know if it was easy to get US visa from Canada.I am on my PGWP which expires in May 2012.I am residing in Canada.I will be applying for CEC but am concerend about the US interview and wld like to get US visa while am in Canada but since my PGWP expires will I get US visa till May 2012 ( expiry date of my PGWP ) or for 5 years.

Thanks in advance

amydoan

Aug 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2011
AOR Received.
25-08-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Request
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
09-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
05-01-2012
Smile 26:

From my experience, I had to renew my US B1/B2 Visa every year since the validity is 1 year max.

The appointment is usually available in the next 4-6 weeks. If someone cancels theirs then you are lucky enough to get one in couple days.

If currently employed, you have a high chance of being approved.

"usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome"

Check out the link for more info. G'luck!

asifS

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-AUG-2010
AOR Received.
28-DEC-2010
Med's Request
09-JUN-2011
Med's Done....
08-JUL-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-OCT-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-OCT-2011
LANDED..........
13-NOV-2011
I have send my application recently and have an interview on sept. 8th. Lets see what happens :)

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
amydoan said:
Smile 26:

From my experience, I had to renew my US B1/B2 Visa every year since the validity is 1 year max.

The appointment is usually available in the next 4-6 weeks. If someone cancels theirs then you are lucky enough to get one in couple days.

If currently employed, you have a high chance of being approved.

"usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome"

Check out the link for more info. G'luck!
I spoke to the US representative and was told it depends on the interview and the person interviewing !! Good to take a chance.

bravosix

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25 2012
I just went through the process in Vancouver.

My american visa expired late july and applied for a renewal before that date. After paying the fee they scheduled me for an interview august 5 (completed the online application form and payment on June 23).

They recommend to show proof of income if you are working, offer of employment, why do you want to travel to the states.

I got to the consulate, submitted my passport, waited for like 45 min until my number came up for the interview which didn't last more than 5 minutes. pretty straight forward questions.. what do I do? how long i've been in canada? do i have relatives here and why do I want to go to the states.. I said that I wanted to renew my visa because might be going back home in december and ill be staying in houston, tx for a couple of days.

Right after that he told me that my visa was approved, he kept my passport and gave me a piece of paper with info of how and when to pick it up. 2 days ago I got a phone call saying my passport and visa are ready for pick up.

They didn't ask for my work permit, job offer letter, bank statements, nothing... THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS ALWAYS LIKE THIS. I guess if they are not very convinced then they will ask you for some documents.

Oh and one more thing. Don't bring a cellphone, usb keys, headphones.. any electronic equipment or even keys with pocket knifes. Its obvious that they don't let you in with them but they don't keep them for you either. I had to go to a restaurant next door and pay $10 bucks (oh yea they charge) for them to keep your stuff while you are in the consulate. When I went to the Canadian Embassy back home, they keep your phone, keys, etc at the entrance..

anyways..good luck and hope this helps

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
bravosix said:

My american visa expired late july and applied for a renewal before that date. After paying the fee they scheduled me for an interview august 5 (completed the online application form and payment on June 23).

They recommend to show proof of income if you are working, offer of employment, why do you want to travel to the states.

I got to the consulate, submitted my passport, waited for like 45 min until my number came up for the interview which didn't last more than 5 minutes. pretty straight forward questions.. what do I do? how long i've been in canada? do i have relatives here and why do I want to go to the states.. I said that I wanted to renew my visa because might be going back home in december and ill be staying in houston, tx for a couple of days.

Right after that he told me that my visa was approved, he kept my passport and gave me a piece of paper with info of how and when to pick it up. 2 days ago I got a phone call saying my passport and visa are ready for pick up.

They didn't ask for my work permit, job offer letter, bank statements, nothing... THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS ALWAYS LIKE THIS. I guess if they are not very convinced then they will ask you for some documents.

Oh and one more thing. Don't bring a cellphone, usb keys, headphones.. any electronic equipment or even keys with pocket knifes. Its obvious that they don't let you in with them but they don't keep them for you either. I had to go to a restaurant next door and pay $10 bucks (oh yea they charge) for them to keep your stuff while you are in the consulate. When I went to the Canadian Embassy back home, they keep your phone, keys, etc at the entrance..

Thanks for the information shared.I wanted to apply for US visa coz I might be called for an interview and so was curious to figure out the requirements !!!How long did u get the visa for this time ?? Maybe u already had US visa so it was easier for u to renew !!

saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm on a PGWP and applied for US visa in Vancouver. Most of the Visa Officers there are pretty easy going. They asked basic questions like 'what do u do', 'how long been in Canada, however she didnt ask to see any proof. I was very worried because I have been rejected 3 times before back home but the visa officer never even brought this up!

She approved me and held on to my passport. 1 week later I got my passport with 10 year validity!

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
saka101 said:
Hi,

I'm on a PGWP and applied for US visa in Vancouver. Most of the Visa Officers there are pretty easy going. They asked basic questions like 'what do u do', 'how long been in Canada, however she didnt ask to see any proof. I was very worried because I have been rejected 3 times before back home but the visa officer never even brought this up!

She approved me and held on to my passport. 1 week later I got my passport with 10 year validity!
Thts gud to know !!! Well if u receive US visa ...does that mean u can visit to US from back home say India or its for entry only from Canada ???

bravosix

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25 2012
saka101 said:
Hi,

Oh really? That's great for you. I or mine for just for one year :( and the previous I had was 10 years. I wonder how they decided who gets which, even for refusals. Where are you from?

saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Smile..u can enter from anywhere

@ bravosix I am from the Caribbean and most people I know from there who applied gets 10 years. I'm not sure what they based it on but thats just how it is. For instance most people from Africa who applied gets 2 years. So probably there's a set policy they have to determine the visa validity as per country of nationality.

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
saka101 said:
@ Smile..u can enter from anywhere

@ bravosix I am from the Caribbean and most people I know from there who applied gets 10 years. I'm not sure what they based it on but thats just how it is. For instance most people from Africa who applied gets 2 years. So probably there's a set policy they have to determine the visa validity as per country of nationality.
Gud to know..thanx for sharing the info saka101

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
bravosix said:

Are you talking about just a visitor visa to America while you are in canada on pgwp?and you are not canadian or american rite?

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
Smile26 said:
Thts gud to know !!! Well if u receive US visa ...does that mean u can visit to US from back home say India or its for entry only from Canada ???
well it's a visa and you should be allowed to coem from any country as long as it's valid but now a days i think they will give you hard time if you will travel from back home instead of canada. May be just make it harder to pass through immigration because of strict securtiy measures.

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
umairz said:
well it's a visa and you should be allowed to coem from any country as long as it's valid but now a days i think they will give you hard time if you will travel from back home instead of canada. May be just make it harder to pass through immigration because of strict securtiy measures.
Makes sense !!!