28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
swingdude said:
i see. do they scan just to look up information or to make a record who is crossing the border?

Are there spots along the border where you can cross without being "scanned"?
I can't answer your second question.

To answer your first question, both activities are the same (i.e. when they swipe your passport to see you details this automatically logs a record). Swipe = record in the system.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
There are no exit stamps however read this

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/release-communique/2012/2012-09-28b-eng.html

News Release

Canada and the United States announce Phase I pilot project to enhance border security at land ports of entry

Ottawa, Ontario, September 28, 2012 — The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced today that, effective September 30, 2012, both agencies will begin the Phase I pilot of the Entry/Exit initiative as outlined in the Beyond the Border Action Plan.

The Phase I pilot project will allow Canada and the U.S. to test the IT capacity to exchange and reconcile biographic information on the entry of travellers that are not Canadian citizens or U.S. citizens, such that a record of entry into one country could be considered as a record of exit from the other.

Under the pilot project, the CBSA and DHS will exchange data currently collected on third-country nationals (those who are neither citizens of Canada nor of the United States), permanent residents of Canada and lawful permanent residents of the United States at the following four ports of entry:

Pacific Highway, Surrey, British Columbia / Pacific Highway, Blaine, Washington;
Douglas (Peace Arch), Surrey, British Columbia / Peace Arch, Blaine, Washington;
Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario / Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, Lewiston, New York; and
Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls, Ontario / Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls, New York.
Beginning October 15, 2012, routine biographic information – collected between September 30, 2012, and January 31, 2013 – will be exchanged by both countries. This exchange means that record of entry into one country becomes a record of exit from the other country. This pilot program will not share information regarding Canadian or U.S. citizens. It will not affect regular operations.

"As outlined in the Beyond the Border Action Plan, our governments are committed to maintaining the integrity of our shared border," said Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety. "This sharing of entry and exit information will play a key part in bolstering border security."

"The sharing of entry and exit information will facilitate the legitimate flow of traffic between the U.S. and Canada while strengthening border security," said U.S. Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner, David V. Aguilar. "This pilot is an important step forward in the shared perimeter vision."

A coordinated entry/exit system will help the U.S. and Canada identify persons who potentially overstay their lawful period of admission; track the departure of persons subject to removal orders; and verify that residency requirements are being met by applicants for continued eligibility in immigration programs. The process of collecting and sharing personal information will be done in accordance with each country's privacy laws and policies. It will also be consistent with the Action Plan Joint Statement of Privacy Principles, the Statement of Mutual Understanding on Information Sharing and a Letter of Intent agreed to by the CBSA and DHS. The executive summary of the CBSA's Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) of the pilot can be viewed on the Agency's Web site.

Currently collected data elements being shared are: first name, last name, middle name, date of birth, nationality, gender, document type, document number, work location code / U.S. port of entry codes, date of entry, time of entry, and document country of issuance. In addition to what Canada and the U.S. currently collect on travellers at ports of entry, the date and time of entry as well as the port through which the traveller entered will also be collected and exchanged.

On February 4, 2011, Prime Minister Harper and President Obama released the Beyond the Border Action Plan, articulating a shared vision in which our countries work together to address threats at the earliest point possible while facilitating the legitimate movement of people, goods and services across our shared border. The Action Plan, released on December 2011, outlines the specific steps our countries intend to take to achieve the security and economic competitiveness goals outlined in the Beyond the Border Declaration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada and the US have been exchanging details for years now.

My husband was sent to secondary inspection once before he became a PR (probably in 2009?). He's an American. Canadian immigration could list every single one of his border crossings between Canada and the US for the previous year (they had this info in their computers). He didn't have passport stamps for most and they didn't even look at his passport - they still knew. Some were flights. Most were land crossings. They knew them all. Also knew about all of the international trips (presumably this info came from flight manifests).

Very similar thing happened to a friend of mine about a year later.

The best approach is to assume they know everything.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
The flight manifests baffles me, they take record of each and every person flying out of canada every single day?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
user828 said:
The flight manifests baffles me, they take record of each and every person flying out of canada every single day?
I would assume the airlines submit passenger data in bulk (i.e. one database file to another database). But I don't really know. I also suspect they don't have this information for all airlines. But again, I don't really know.

All I can tell you is that myself, my husband and a number of my friends have been in situations where immigration knew about flights just by looking at their computers.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
interesting, perhaps more scrutiny in spousal cases ( being us citizen too )

swingdude

Jan 28, 2013
and what about land crossings into Mexico? does the US scan your passport when you drive into Mexico ? Do Mexico and US share border info? I know I should probably start a new thread but...

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
swingdude said:
Interesting. But I wonder how they knew about the land crossings if they don't scan your passport?
before June 2009, passports weren't a requirement yet they put your name in the system - so dont think its the passport