+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any body has success meeting residency obligation working for a Canadian company abroad

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
I read in some official document somewhere that if you work for a Canadian business from abroad, that will be counted as meeting residency obligation. Has anyone been successful applying for citizenship with this situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I read in some official document somewhere that if you work for a Canadian business from abroad, that will be counted as meeting residency obligation. Has anyone been successful applying for citizenship with this situation?
You're confusing two different rules. The residency obligation for PR and the residency obligation for citizenship.

Working for a Canadian company abroad can (in some circumstances) count towards the residency obligation for PR.

It does not count towards citizenship. For citizenship, you need to physically reside in Canada.

ririzaza

Nov 10, 2021
You're confusing two different rules. The residency obligation for PR and the residency obligation for citizenship.

Working for a Canadian company abroad can (in some circumstances) count towards the residency obligation for PR.

It does not count towards citizenship. For citizenship, you need to physically reside in Canada.
Hello Scylla
Sorry to jump in this conversation but I have similar question : I am working for a private canadian consultancy firm. We have some work travels to do in different countries, sometimes for 2weeks and more; Is this a problem for the PR obligations or should I resign ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Scylla
Sorry to jump in this conversation but I have similar question : I am working for a private canadian consultancy firm. We have some work travels to do in different countries, sometimes for 2weeks and more; Is this a problem for the PR obligations or should I resign ?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Taking business trips isn't a problem. However the time you spend on the business trips cannot be counted towards the residency requirement. This will count as time spent outside of Canada. As long as you are spending enough time physically in Canada, there's no issues taking the business trips.

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017

Okay, So, One might be able to return/gain reentry in to Canada but might not be able to apply for naturalization using that period of absence. Is that correct?

Thanks much in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, So, One might be able to return/gain reentry in to Canada but might not be able to apply for naturalization using that period of absence. Is that correct?

Thanks much in advance
I'm not sure what you mean by "able to return / gain re-enter into Canada".

You definitely cannot use this period of time for citizenship / naturalization. It's not a "might". It "definitely" does not count. You must be physically in Canada for the time to count towards the residency obligation for citizenship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks much in advance
You will be allow to re-enter to Canada regardless because you are a PR. But if you do not meet your RO, you might be reported and your PR may be revoked. Just read up on RO on this forum.

And in general travelling for business do not count for PR RO nor fullfillment of the time for citizenship.
Only in some special cases when somone with a job in Canada and was placed in an office in a foreign country for a temporary placement, would count for his/her RO.