+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anxious about getting Study Permit renewed for 2nd time...

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
hey all,

i'm an international student here in ontario, with an Indian passport. in 2011, i was given a study permit until 2015 (4 years). well, some things went down and i was not able to finish on time...in fact, i ended up lagging behind by quite a bit due to multiple failed courses. in 2015, i managed to get my study permit renewed for 2 more years, until july 2017. the thing is, i still have one more semester to complete (fall 2017) before i finish my degree. is it common to get study permit renewed twice? i'm getting anxious because i'm trying to make my life here and i don't want to lose it all. thank you for your time.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

babylizard said:
hey all,

i'm an international student here in ontario, with an Indian passport. in 2011, i was given a study permit until 2015 (4 years). well, some things went down and i was not able to finish on time...in fact, i ended up lagging behind by quite a bit due to multiple failed courses. in 2015, i managed to get my study permit renewed for 2 more years, until july 2017. the thing is, i still have one more semester to complete (fall 2017) before i finish my degree. is it common to get study permit renewed twice? i'm getting anxious because i'm trying to make my life here and i don't want to lose it all. thank you for your time.

Depend if VO also think you are trying to make life in Canada. No straight forward rule.

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
So, You're taking 6 years to complete your degree ? That's a lot of money .

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,

Depend if VO also think you are trying to make life in Canada. No straight forward rule.
by "making life" here, i meant trying to finish my degree and get a job and then get PR. not just stay here under the pretense of study permit...apologize if i phrased it incorrectly. i have "heard" that the limit is 6 years (from anecdotal sources). confirm?

babylizard

Nov 22, 2016
varunnarayan said:
So, You're taking 6 years to complete your degree ? That's a lot of money .
been a part-time student to reduce load/stress and been working to supplement my parent's contributions. it is a lot of money, still.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
babylizard said:
been a part-time student to reduce load/stress and been working to supplement my parent's contributions. it is a lot of money, still.
Hope you haven't been working off campus. You must be a full time student to engage in off campus work. Also, since you've gone part time, you most likely won't be able to obtain a PGWP once your studies are completed.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

babylizard said:
by "making life" here, i meant trying to finish my degree and get a job and then get PR. not just stay here under the pretense of study permit...apologize if i phrased it incorrectly. i have "heard" that the limit is 6 years (from anecdotal sources). confirm?

1. With part time studies, you are not eligible for PGWP anymore.
2. There is no such limit of 6 years to complete the school.

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that: if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
J5M said:
Hi,

1. With part time studies, you are not eligible for PGWP anymore.
2. There is no such limit of 6 years to complete the school.

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that: if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp
I assume you've completed your bachelors from your home country. If you're pursuing your bachelors in Canada , you need to finish your degree within 8 years for Arts and 6 years for Engineering to get accredited. That is the reason why bachelor students in Canada get more jobs than masters students. Bachelors in India is useless and Canadian employers don't recognize it to be plausible.

Regarding this post , He's screwed up his entire degree and his future PGWP. Hope he gets the necessary help .