+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Annulment

imamermaid0

Mar 3, 2024
Hi guys, I just want to ask regarding my situation.

I was married back in the Philippines and me and my ex husband seperate for good! Are marriage is like so quick! Me and my ex husband got married just last year 2days before my flight here in Canada ...

We've known each other for 2 decades. We supposed to live each other for 8 yrs as common law partners and broke up for 12 yrs and last year on April we got back together and tied a knot on August... And the marriage all everything my plan because I want him to follow me here in Canada. But time and months passes everything changed ... We already have cold communication so we decided to end our marriage and seperate out ways for good because we know in ourselves that our marriage is just happened quickly without proper planning. Like our the marriage experience we had is like we just got married because of the excitement and overwhelming feelings. That's what we seperate for good!

Moving forward,

My question here is ... Can I file an annulment here in Canada? I am an international student here in, and I like to process our Annulment since I can't still able to go back home in P.I cos I'm still studying ... I want us to be totally done and can move on with our lives ...

Pls I need to know and need advice.

Thank you and God Bless us all

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I see that no one has answered this, maybe because they know you do not plan to return to read any replies. I see you have not been on the forum since the day you posted your question. Why you posted to this section of the forum also seems unclear.

In any evert, no, you cannot file for an annulment here. Canadian law allows for annulment in only a few very unusual situations. Annulment has the effect of declaring you were never married and it restores you to "single" status. So, if asked about previous marriages, you can say "none" because, under Canadian law, the marriage was a nullity.

Philippine law makes a mockery of western notions of annulment. In the Phils, it's simply a form of divorce, but calls it something it's not, all to humour the Catholic church.

If you become a Canadian citizen, you can divorce your Filipino husband here and the divorce can be recognized by court order in the Phils. If 2 Filipino citizens get divorced in Canada, the Phils will not recognize the divorce.

Reactions: imamermaid0