+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AMERICAN WOMEN QUEBEC MAN TRYING TO ESTABLISH COMMON LAW

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Ok my boyfriend from montreal and i ( from pennsylvania) have been seeing each other for a year. Is it possible for me as an AMERICAN to go visit him for 6 months in canada ?? we are trying to establish commonlaw status, so i wanted to know if i could stay 6 months. go home to US for holidays at christmas time ( with him) go back to Canada for another 6 months??? to make it a year together there????? How would it be best to accomplish this. we have proof of relationship etc/ Also I will still keep my house i own in the states for another year to show i have connections there. please any advice is appreciated

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
I can tell you that my partner who is Korean came to Canada for six months. Then we drove down to the states did some shopping and came back through customs. We had a return ticket for her dated a month later and we explained that she was taking French courses at a private school in Montreal. We had the receipt for the French school as well. They just asked questions but never asked to see the documents. They stamped her passport for another 6 months. There are others here who will tell you that you can renew online but I prefer to do it face to face (plus Montreal is only 45 mins from the border).

Of course, you run the risk of running into a difficult border guard (but honestly a few times she has told them she is learning French and it just lightens the mood and makes the questions go more easily).

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
It is very possible to do this,just don't turn up at the boarder with a uhaul.Never say your moving just visiting your boyfriend.You have your home in the states so that shows ties, if you are flying have a return ticket for December when you are planning on going back You could get a refundable ticket , so that when you and your boyfriend decide to go back for xmas you can travel together. Apply outland it is much quicker.You will not be able to work while you are here as a visitor so be prepared to have money in the bank just in case they ask for proof of funds. Also make sure you have some kind of heath insurance. To be able to apply for common law you must be together living for a full 365 days not 1 day less. You say your boyfriend is from Montreal ,as long as he is a Canadian citizen he will be able to travel with you.If he is a PR he must remain in Canada while applying for the sponsorship,thats after your full 365 days together.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
So when I get to the border won't they ask me when I am coming home???? Also I would drive back with him in December so I won't have an airline ticket. Will they allow the full time Aug thru December? I can bring bank statements and deed to my home. To show ties to US . also does that time with us being together over holidays but NOT in Canada count towards our year if I have photo proof etc?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
travlgrl said:
So when I get to the border won't they ask me when I am coming home???? Also I would drive back with him in December so I won't have an airline ticket. Will they allow the full time Aug thru December? I can bring bank statements and deed to my home. To show ties to US . also does that time with us being together over holidays but NOT in Canada count towards our year if I have photo proof etc?
They may ask . Its up to the boarder to stamp your passport and let you stay for 6 months, they can also turn you away thinking you may over stay. Its a chance you have to take when leaving the country. You can drive across no big deal. Yes when you are together it counts as your time together. You are visa exempt so you shouldn't have a problem , but be honest if they ask, tell them you are trying to establish common law so you can apply for PR.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Do they stamp your passport?? I haven't ever had it actually stamped going in or out of Canada. Would it be more helpful if I am taking classes up there say learning French or something I can say and have proof of?

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
travlgrl said:
Do they stamp your passport?? I haven't ever had it actually stamped going in or out of Canada. Would it be more helpful if I am taking classes up there say learning French or something I can say and have proof of?

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
I am Canadian so my experience is possibly different. However, the only time I have had my passport stamped by the Americans border guards is when I arrived through a country other than Canada. For example flying from Tokyo and landing in LAX I got my passport stamped. However, every time I pre-cleared at the airport in Montreal or gone through a land crossing, they don't stamp.

Are you concerned about proving 12 months together? Or clearing customs every 6 months? or both?

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
More of the clearing customs for the first 6 then applying for an extension, I m keeping phone records and screen shots from Skype and the date and messages we first sent when we met online al most a year ago and photos from trips we have been to together..its the being approved of the first 6

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
travlgrl said:
More of the clearing customs for the first 6 then applying for an extension, I m keeping phone records and screen shots from Skype and the date and messages we first sent when we met online al most a year ago and photos from trips we have been to together..its the being approved of the first 6
Oh, have you gone through Canadian customs before? Crossing for the first six months as a tourist is VERY easy. Have you thought about applying for Nexus? You can get through customs with even fewer questions.

The trickier part is getting the extension. As I said before, I prefer crossing the border and answering all of their questions on the spot. I have no idea how the extension process works online nor how long it takes.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Should I just say I am staying w boyfriend . which I am for the full six months . and yes I have crossed a million times just have never stayed that long. So I am wondering if they will ask how long and how truthful I should be.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
travlgrl said:
Should I just say I am staying w boyfriend . which I am for the full six months . and yes I have crossed a million times just have never stayed that long. So I am wondering if they will ask how long and how truthful I should be.
They often will ask where are you staying anyways. So you should most definitely tell them you will be staying with your boyfriend. Is he crossing with you? If so, he can answer most of the questions ;-)

I don't recall them asking for how long my partner would be staying. However, if they do ask, you can tell them for the six months.

I know a previous poster said to reveal that you were trying to establish common law. However in our case the questioning never got that far. And quite honestly I never volunteered that information. I was afraid that would raise more questions and possible red flags.

As an American, you don't have to worry much. You should be able to fly under the radar pretty easily.