+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I missing something here?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes sir I'm actually married since January 27, 2019.
Your best bet is to return to Canada and file your Outland spousal sponsorship. A TRV is unlikely after the first refusal. You can plan a marriage celebration once she has gotten approval. It should take around 12 months but always best not to plan a party until she has permission to land. You are supposed to remain in Canada during the whole sponsorship process although a short visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be tolerated.

Xtremez2k

Apr 22, 2019
Your best bet is to return to Canada and file your Outland spousal sponsorship. A TRV is unlikely after the first refusal. You can plan a marriage celebration once she has gotten approval. It should take around 12 months but always best not to plan a party until she has permission to land. You are supposed to remain in Canada during the whole sponsorship process although a short visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be tolerated.
Do I have to get approval to visit her in Pakistan every time I want to visit? I was planning to visit her once every 4 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do I have to get approval to visit her in Pakistan every time I want to visit? I was planning to visit her once every 4 months.
No you can’t go that often or you risk having her application refused. You are not supposed to leave at all but one visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be tolerated. I also can’t imagine an employer would give you so much holiday time.

Xtremez2k

Apr 22, 2019
No you can’t go that often or you risk having her application refused. You are not supposed to leave at all but one visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be tolerated. I also can’t imagine an employer would give you so much holiday time.
I get 7 weeks off total from work, my work place is super flexible. I read somewhere that if you are a Canadian citizen it's not a problem to leave canada during processing of the application. I don't understand why they wouldn't allow visits! We are paying out of our own pockets to visit for short duration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I get 7 weeks off total from work, my work place is super flexible. I read somewhere that if you are a Canadian citizen it's not a problem to leave canada during processing of the application. I don't understand why they wouldn't allow visits! We are paying out of our own pockets to visit for short duration.
But you aren’t a citizen you are a PR. They want to see that you are establishing your life in Canada. Unfortunately these are the terms that come along with sponsoring a spouse if you have already have PR. You can visit more often but you are at high risk of having your sponsorship denied. It would just prolong the process.

Xtremez2k

Apr 22, 2019
But you aren’t a citizen you are a PR. They want to see that you are establishing your life in Canada. Unfortunately these are the terms that come along with sponsoring a spouse if you have already have PR. You can visit more often but you are at high risk of having your sponsorship denied. It would just prolong the process.
I'm super confused. I've been a Canadian Citizen since 1992. I am planning to sponsor my wife to come to Canada.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'm super confused. I've been a Canadian Citizen since 1992. I am planning to sponsor my wife to come to Canada.
Since you're a citizen, you don't have to be in Canada during the application. Canuck78 thought you were a PR and that advice is valid for PRs.

As a citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while you live outside Canada. You will have to show a plan for her to eventually settle in Canada once she gets PR. In practice, this usually means showing something like a house or a job that you will return to, and will bring your spouse along.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Read this -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child
You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

• You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

Here's the IRCC guide for spousal sponsorship -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html#expect

Xtremez2k

Apr 22, 2019
Since you're a citizen, you don't have to be in Canada during the application. Canuck78 thought you were a PR and that advice is valid for PRs.

As a citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while you live outside Canada. You will have to show a plan for her to eventually settle in Canada once she gets PR. In practice, this usually means showing something like a house or a job that you will return to, and will bring your spouse along.
Thanks so much for this! I will be travelling back to my home in Canada next week, then submitting a sponsorship application for my wife.

It's fantastic to hear I can travel for a few weeks at a time to visit my wife in Pakistan - since I'm a citizen. I'm so relieved!

Thanks everyone!

Xtremez2k

Apr 22, 2019
Hi all,

I had a question. I'm filling out the sponsorship forms (specifically the Schedule A - Background/Declaration form), and there is a field for UCI and Application Number. When my wife applied for her TRV, she received both of these numbers. Should we enter these numbers in these fields?

Also, when i submit the paper forms, does this sponsorship application get linked to my wife's GCKey account? Or should i create my own GCkey account and not enter any UCI/App Number?