+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for sponsorship and Open work permit?

jessie85

Feb 28, 2019
Hi,

I'm a visitor visa holder (TRV) and I'm currently in Canada. I'm visiting my girlfriend who is a citizen of CA.

My question is am I eligible to be sponsored as a conjugal partner or a common law partner? Another question is am I eligible to apply for an open work permit from inside Canada?

My gf wants to sponsor me as her common law or conjugal partner (whichever is applicable). However, we haven't been together (physically) for a long time and clearly we just don't know where to start.

I am hoping to hear from u guys.

Thank u very much.

Jessie

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I'm a visitor visa holder (TRV) and I'm currently in Canada. I'm visiting my girlfriend who is a citizen of CA.

My question is am I eligible to be sponsored as a conjugal partner or a common law partner? Another question is am I eligible to apply for an open work permit from inside Canada?

My gf wants to sponsor me as her common law or conjugal partner (whichever is applicable). However, we haven't been together (physically) for a long time and clearly we just don't know where to start.

I am hoping to hear from u guys.

Thank u very much.

Jessie
Hi

No, you aren't eligible. You do not qualify for conjugal because there is nothing preventing you from marrying or becoming common-law. You don't qualify for common-law because you haven't lived together for a year.

You need to either live together for a year or marry.

Reactions: scylla

jessie85

Feb 28, 2019
Hi

No, you aren't eligible. You do not qualify for conjugal because there is nothing preventing you from marrying or becoming common-law. You don't qualify for common-law because you haven't lived together for a year.

You need to either live together for a year or marry.
Thank you.
If we get married while im on visitor visa then id be qualified for spousal sponsorship right?
How can I extend my stay in Canada since im just on visitor visa? Do I need to go home to the Philippines while we wait for the result of my sponsorship?

thank u so much

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you.
If we get married while im on visitor visa then id be qualified for spousal sponsorship right?
How can I extend my stay in Canada since im just on visitor visa? Do I need to go home to the Philippines while we wait for the result of my sponsorship?

thank u so much
If you marry, you can apply. What is the relationship history?

You can extend your visitor status or apply inland with an OWP.

jessie85

Feb 28, 2019
If you marry, you can apply. What is the relationship history?

You can extend your visitor status or apply inland with an OWP.
we're on a long distance relationship for 18months now and i have visited her last year in BC. I stayed for 30days and went home.then came back i am allowed to stay for 6months i guess, since i did not get a stamp on my passport.

if we apply inland with OWP does that mean I can stay inside Canada while we wait for the result?

thanks

Innd

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Yes, you can apply inland spousal sponsorship. As long as you don't let your visitor visa lapse. Apply for extension of your visitor visa before it get's expired and tell them that you are waiting for your spousal application. The same time you can apply for your Open work permit.