+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

am i eligible for Pr as manager in convenience store

manpreetkaur

Nov 12, 2012
Hello
I have completed my post graduate diploma and now I am working in a convenience store as Manager. Am I eligible to apply for PR after one year under CEC.
I talked to lawyer and she told me that I can apply in NOC category A under retail supervisor. But I am still confused that is this job position is enough for applying PR because I don't want any rejections.
Thank You

sp4078

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct-31-2013
AOR Received.
Dec-04-2013
Med's Request
Dec-04-2013
Med's Done....
Dec-18-2013
Passport Req..
Jun-19-2014
LANDED..........
July-23-2014
If you are the manager, your NOC should be under category 0 (last time I checked, for all manager/supervisor position, the NOC is 0). Any NOC that is 0, A, B will make your working experiences eligible for CEC. You just have to check the rest to see if you are qualified (education as such ...)

manpreetkaur

Nov 12, 2012
I have done business operation...is this fine with manager position...i just want to know that convenience store job make my case store or week???

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the position itself is no problem, what makes your case strong or weak is everything else (IELTS, Documents provided, Education...etc)

but if you just want to know if the Position is eligible for CEC, the answer is yes. the NOC Code is 0621

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your welcome, good luck!

kamaleddin

Star Member
Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
03-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included
Med's Request
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
Med's delivered to Ottawa (Purolator): 24-09-2012
Passport Req..
01-11-2012
LANDED..........
01-12-2012
I am somewhat skeptical if you can justify a managerial role in a convenience store scale. Ask yourself if a convenience store owner usually hires a manager. If that's the case then you should be fine. If not you might pushing your luck.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamaleddin said:
I am somewhat skeptical if you can justify a managerial role in a convenience store scale. Ask yourself if a convenience store owner usually hires a manager. If that's the case then you should be fine. If not you might pushing your luck.
I think it would be an issue if there isn't a NOC code that matches his job title, but convenience store manager is one of the example job titles for this particular NOC code and there are a list of duties that goes along with it. As long as his duties on the experience letter matches the duties listed on hrsdc.gc.ca , I think it should be fine.

kamaleddin

Star Member
Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
03-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included
Med's Request
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
01-11-2012
LANDED..........
01-12-2012
Johnny31 said:
I think it would be an issue if there isn't a NOC code that matches his job title, but convenience store manager is one of the example job titles for this particular NOC code and there are a list of duties that goes along with it. As long as his duties on the experience letter matches the duties listed on hrsdc.gc.ca , I think it should be fine.
As far as I know the job description is what matters the most. even if the title doesn't match. If his reference letter has similar duties to a specific NOC, it should suffice.

Having said that I had no clue that convenience store manager would be an acceptable occupation under CEC. The way I see it is if I was working as a cashier in a convenience store, I would talk to the owner to give me a managerial reference letter for the sake of immigration. I am not being judgmental here at all, I am simply trying to put myself in the officer's shoe and imagine what he will try to verify.
I think the best way is to send an email to hrsdc and provide them with his reference letter and his salary. They will confirm if he has chosen the right NOC. That's how I verified my NOC.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamaleddin said:
As far as I know the job description is what matters the most. even if the title doesn't match. If his reference letter has similar duties to a specific NOC, it should suffice.

Having said that I had no clue that convenience store manager would be an acceptable occupation under CEC. The way I see it is if I was working as a cashier in a convenience store, I would talk to the owner to give me a managerial reference letter for the sake of immigration.
But the fact of the matter is it's one of the example job titles listed on hrsdc for NOC 0621 by the government. If it's already been cleared by human resources of skills development Canada as an acceptable position, I would think that it would be alright.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=0621

kamaleddin

Star Member
Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
03-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included
Med's Request
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
01-11-2012
LANDED..........
01-12-2012
Johnny31 said:
But the fact of the matter is it's one of the example job titles listed on hrsdc for NOC 0621 by the government. If it's already been cleared by human resources of skills development Canada as an acceptable position, I would think that it would be alright.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=0621
You are right sir. As long as the duties listed on the reference letter matches the duties listed for this NOC, there should be no problem. Please keep in mind that title alone is not sufficient. What matters is the duties listed in the reference letter.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamaleddin said:
Please keep in mind that title alone is not sufficient. What matters is the duties listed in the reference letter.
where did I ever say title alone is sufficient? i said, having appropriate job title AND matching duties.

Johnny31 said:

manpreetkaur

Nov 12, 2012
The thing is this that owner of the store is not here.He is in India and I m running that store. I give him all the account detail everything at the end of month.
This is the reason that they hired me as the manager. But I don't want to push my luck. I still have time. So please guide me.