+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ALWAYS go to test or interview with most recent CBSA record of travel

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
notalawyer said:
Based on my experience at the interview, Your declared travel days on the application must tie to your passport, If there are no stamp the in your passport for them to verify - they will request CBSA records - they are not interested in what you bring but what they can verify from their end. And I think it depends on the officer too . . .
Yes, that is very true; and, sadly, it's only half the story .... in my experience .... .

Not only are they NOT interested in what you bring them. They are not interested in your explanations either!

In fact, I'm not sure, what you can do on your end to get their attention when you're face-to-face with them. It seems to me, they ask questions but they don't listen to your answers. Instead, they're in their own world, checking your documents, or your file, or some paper ... who knows what!

They're certainly not paying attention to you. They're not even looking at you. It makes me wonder what the point is of asking questions in the first place if they don't care for the answers. As soon as you start answering a question, all they do is cut you off and ask another question. They're in a hurry, like being chased by a bear.

I haven't applied for citizenship yet but this is what I find with CBSA officers when they interview me at land border crossings. They don't look me in the eye when they ask questions. In fact, they hardly look at me at all as I explain myself. They just keep asking one question after another, almost without waiting for any answers.

I'm going to take a realistic stance here and say that it's pretty much hopeless to try and reason with them. To the officer, your case is just a numbered file, one of the dozens she/he has to get through every day. It's nothing like the personal case that it is to you.

Moral of the story: If they have doubts about your case, there's little you can do to allay them. It really all depends on the officer.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
desigirltoronto84 said:
It's a good advise. But you don't always have 30-40 days between the time you get notified for the test and the actual test date. Most of my friends got a two weeks notice. Not sure how can we do this if the notice period is very short.
Asper my understanding that cic will run cbsa check past 4 years to application signature date in order to calculate your residency requirements. They don't care about dates after that.
So, get your CBSA records after your signature date and keep it for the interview/test.

Just my 2 cents

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
The latest application form includes a field authorizing the CIC to get your travel records from the CBSA. Getting those records for the sake of submitting them during the interview is redundant, in my opinion.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
Asper my understanding that cic will run cbsa check past 4 years to application signature date in order to calculate your residency requirements. They don't care about dates after that.
So, get your CBSA records after your signature date and keep it for the interview/test.

Just my 2 cents
Agree that's what I'm planning to do

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
h3a3j6 said:
The latest application form includes a field authorizing the CIC to get your travel records from the CBSA. Getting those records for the sake of submitting them during the interview is redundant, in my opinion.
yes, that is correct. You can order the CBSA records for yourself and during interview you are not required to submit it, it is only when the CIC officer has doubts about your stamps or residency days then you can show your CBSA records to clarify the issues else there could be a chance that they can issue you a RQ.

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
desigirltoronto84 said:
Yes, I already applied it prior to submitting my application. I did not submit it with my application because the instruction guide says clearly NOT to. I used to verify the exit/entry dates ...
I got my CBSA report, and it only shows entry dates, not exit dates. Is this enough?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Canada does not monitor exits
Exit entry to be supported by the entry stamp in the passport to the destination country.. If this is absent and officer is unable to confirm absent period then movement records may be asked...

canappli

Nov 19, 2014
Is this a problem if processing officer make request from CBSA and you do around the same time as well? knowing that you were told (through form) that if we authorize processing officer to pull entry /exit report from CBSA, we should not be requesting?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Others can comment... but I never heard of someone who go into trouble because because he or she had the ICES or CBSA Exit Entry report

I still believe it cannot hurt... and can only help

canappli said:
Is this a problem if processing officer make request from CBSA and you do around the same time as well? knowing that you were told (through form) that if we authorize processing officer to pull entry /exit report from CBSA, we should not be requesting?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Has anyone asked for electronic copy? Is it faster than a paper copy?

In the ATIP online request, it says though:
The Department will do its best to return the requested records in the format selected, but it may not be able to accommodate all electronic formats due to size limitations.

And so I wonder...

Quebectau

Jun 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
something I can add, I recently requested one CBSA record.
Today one lady call me since she had some question in my aplication.

She said do you want only entry records or both, entry and exit from Canada!

She said it is something new that they are doing ( so I believe you need to request it in your application)

but not sure if they show up my exit in the past...since the exit control is something new...

When I do receive the report and can let you guys know!

Cheers!

nb8285

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
This is interesting development. It's bad news for those who plan to travel for whatever reason after submitting their application. Imagine that you're out of the country when CIC starts processing your application and gets CBSA report that shows you've left the country since whatever date and have not come back yet...!

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nb8285 said:
This is interesting development. It's bad news for those who plan to travel for whatever reason after submitting their application. Imagine that you're out of the country when CIC starts processing your application and gets CBSA report that shows you've left the country since whatever date and have not come back yet...!
There is ABSOLUTELY NO problem travelling after the application is submitted. CIC cares about 1095 days presence in past 4 years from the date application is signed. They consider only that time period. Not after the application signed date.

nb8285

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
It may be a bit naive to think that CIC only cares about the 4 years prior to application date. It will certainly raise a red flag if the CBSA report shows the applicant has left Canada, say 3-4 months ago, and hasn't come back yet.

Having said that, we should carry on with our lives like normal and not worry too much about the process. We can't let the "process" determine how we should live our life.