+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Already landed but No PR card yet, does marriage affect my PR status ?

essamseddik

Oct 11, 2017
Hi guys,

I have already landed in Canada couple of weeks ago and i might get married before receiving my PR card.
My wife is out of Canada and will remain out until I sponsor her.

• Would getting married affect my current status as a PR (before getting my PR card) ?
  • Do i have to inform the IRCC when i do so ? If so, is it only for information update ?
  • Also any suggestions/thoughts to make the sponsorship process faster ?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi guys,

I have already landed in Canada couple of weeks ago and i might get married before receiving my PR card.

• Would getting married affect my current status as a PR (before getting my PR card) ?
  • Do i have to inform the IRCC when i do so ? If so, is it only for information update ?
I can't speak definitively but I'm pretty sure marriage after you receive your PR shouldn't have any kind of negative implication at all. In other words:
  • Would getting married affect my current status as a PR (before getting my PR card) ? NO
  • Do i have to inform the IRCC when i do so ? If so, is it only for information update ? NO (no need to update IRCC on anything until you ultimately file the sponsorship application after you get married (which will be the notification to them)
  • Also any suggestions/thoughts to make the sponsorship process faster ? (get married and apply as soon as possible because the spousal sponsorship application process apparently takes 12 months or more on average)

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

You should post here instead: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/