+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Almost getting PR, but getting married to Canadian citizen soon - advise?

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

So my CEC PR application is close to complete now. Everything seems done (medicals, RPRF, biodata), and since I'm from a visa waiver country, I do no expect a need for a passport request.

I am however, planning to get married to a Canadian citizen soon. If by the time I get married, and my COPR hasn't arrived, do I need to inform CIC about it?

Thanks!

spookyb

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013
Med's Request
06-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
16-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
10-Apr-2014
prototypev said:
Hi everyone,

So my CEC PR application is close to complete now. Everything seems done (medicals, RPRF, biodata), and since I'm from a visa waiver country, I do no expect a need for a passport request.

I am however, planning to get married to a Canadian citizen soon. If by the time I get married, and my COPR hasn't arrived, do I need to inform CIC about it?

Thanks!
Yes. Under no circumstances must you land without informing CIC that your marital status has changed.

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I do know of my date of marriage obviously, but I guess I was being a bit too optimistic, since my application has been "in-limbo" for 3 months now.

Anyway if I do update my marriage status before I land I should be fine right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
byrwus said:
you do not know the date of your marriage?

postpone until you are a PR.
There is no need to postpone if marrying a Canadian citizen. The Canadian citizen does not have to be added to the application and pass the medical and security check. You just need to update your marriage status before you land. If you know the date now, I would send a letter to the VO letting them know the date of your marriage and informing them that since your spouse is a Canadian citizen, you will not be adding them to the application as a dependent.

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
scylla said:
There is no need to postpone if marrying a Canadian citizen. The Canadian citizen does not have to be added to the application and pass the medical and security check. You just need to update your marriage status before you land. If you know the date now, I would send a letter to the VO letting them know the date of your marriage and informing them that since your spouse is a Canadian citizen, you will not be adding them to the application as a dependent.
Cool, that's great to hear :) Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
scylla said:
Exactly. And, when you write to CIC (can be email) to update them, you should include a copy of (future) spouse's Canadian birth certificate and/or passport.