+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Almost completed my application - Birth Certificate & Old Study Permit questions

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hi all,

I've almost compiled all my documents for a CEC application, and looking to submit my application within the next two weeks. I had 3 questions left:

1) The document checklist asks to attach old study permits. I have done 4 years universty study, and then will be completing 3 years on my PGWP by 17 March 2012. I have my newest work permit and and the older work permit, but I don't have any record of my old study permits. Are the study permits a requirement? I have my old temporary Canadian resident permits (Only required to enter Canada). So my question is, do I need to have copies of the old study permit's?

2) My birth certificate was issued in Arabic. Can my parents make a translation, notarize it, certify the copy and then scan it in and I print it off? or would they have to courier me the notarized translation original? I'm so confused on this aspect :|

3) Lastly, I understand we're looking at about a year of processing time for the CEC. My permit expires in March 2012, and it would have been for the full three years. I'm wondering, if I apply for an extension without a LMO a couple of weeks before it expires, am I still on implied status for the 2-3 months it would take for them to review my application. i know it would most likely get rejected, but at that point, could i apply for a change in status to a visitor while I wait for a decision on my application?

Any info would be much appreciated guys!
Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aba_bab said:
1) The document checklist asks to attach old study permits. I have done 4 years universty study, and then will be completing 3 years on my PGWP by 17 March 2012. I have my newest work permit and and the older work permit, but I don't have any record of my old study permits. Are the study permits a requirement? I have my old temporary Canadian resident permits (Only required to enter Canada). So my question is, do I need to have copies of the old study permit's?

According to the document checklist, you must submit a copy of your MOST RECENT study permit. It can be a photocopy, perhaps your university still has a copy on file?

2) My birth certificate was issued in Arabic. Can my parents make a translation, notarize it, certify the copy and then scan it in and I print it off? or would they have to courier me the notarized translation original? I'm so confused on this aspect :|

Just to be clear, family members may not perform the translation. See p. 14 of the application guide. Your family must either send you your original birth certificate and you can get the translation/certified copy done here, or send you (a) a certified copy (this cannot be a scan) of the original birth certificate (b) along with the translation and (c) a sworn affadavit by the translator - this must be the certified copy and the affadavit must be originals, so a scan will not be acceptable.

3) Lastly, I understand we're looking at about a year of processing time for the CEC. My permit expires in March 2012, and it would have been for the full three years. I'm wondering, if I apply for an extension without a LMO a couple of weeks before it expires, am I still on implied status for the 2-3 months it would take for them to review my application. i know it would most likely get rejected, but at that point, could i apply for a change in status to a visitor while I wait for a decision on my application?

Yes, you would be on implied status until you receive a decision, and yes it would be rejected without an LMO. You can apply to change your status to a visitor before expiration of your current work permit. If your work permit application is rejected within 3 months, you can apply to restore status and apply to change status to a visitor (must be submitted within that 3 months). If you get the rejection more than 3 months after the expiration date, you immediately become out of status, and are past the window of opportunity to restore status, so you will have to leave Canada.

But, assuming you are working, why not just ask your employer to apply for an LMO?

myzzak

Jan 16, 2011
Just a question to Jes_ON.. regarding the third point

For aba_bab after his permit expires in March 2012 without applying for an extension without a LMO, can he instead still apply for a regular work permit? and how can he apply for that regular work permit? and is it recommended to do that? if no,,, why?

Thanks Jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
myzzak said:
Just a question to Jes_ON.. regarding the third point

For aba_bab after his permit expires in March 2012 without applying for an extension without a LMO, can he instead still apply for a regular work permit? and how can he apply for that regular work permit? and is it recommended to do that? if no,,, why?
LOL, I don't know what you mean by a "regular work permit." If you mean a work permit that requires an LMO, yes, s/he can apply within 3 months after the expiration of the old permit, but it would still require an application to restore status, and application to extend the work permit, and an ... LMO. :) There would not be any "implied status" and s/he would not be permitted to work.

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks so much for your response jess

With regards to the last question, as you say, why not just apply for an LMO, my employer does not offer an LMO, I guess they would have a tough time convincing the government that noone else in Canada is able to carry out the duties of a broker.

So jess, just to clarify then:

My work permit expires March 17 2012.Suppose I apply for a work permit extension a month before i.e Feb 17th, without a LMO, i know it will get rejected, but as I understand I'll still have my implied status. Now suppose 2 months after my expiry, my rejection comes along, I stop working immiediately, and then apply for restoration of my status on a visitor visa. Will it reflect poorly on my situation when they are evaluating my file to see if I will get a visitor visa?

My other question is, suppose I apply for a work permit extension BEFORE my permit expires, but then do not get a response quickly enough, then can I just apply for restoration of status within 90 days after expiry?

ceccanada

Jul 29, 2011
Hi,aba-bab

i want to correct something here,if you apply for a work permit before it expire with the same employer you will be under implied status and allowed to work under the same conditions until the decision comes out of CIC,of course you know that your application will be rejected due to lack of LMO but that will grant you sometime and hopefully you may get your PR by then but in case your pr takes longer than expected and you are past the 90 days of your work permit expiry then you will have to apply for a restoration of status and work permit if you have the LMO or a visitor CIC will give you 90 days from the date they will issue a rejection letter because you was under an implied status.
so just relax and dont worry,try to convince your employer to go though the lmo route if he refusesthat you may still have the option to look for another employer who can support you with lmo. :)

flag2009

Star Member
Aug 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
04-03-2011
File Transfer...
10-05-2011
Med's Done....
12-05-2011
Passport Req..
03-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-09-2011
I am confused by your answers to the LMO question.

if i apply for visitor visa at the same time i am applying for work permit extension, and my visitor visa comes BEFORE work permit decision BUT AFTER work permit expiration, am i still on implied status (for work permit) and can i still work as a worker?

i.e. if my worker permit expires Nov 2011, i apply for visitor and extension of work permit Oct 2011, and visitor Visa comes jan 2012, BUT work permit decision has NOT arrived, can I still work still a decision of extension of work permit has NOT arrived?

ceccanada

Jul 29, 2011
Hi flag2009

why would you apply for a work permit and a visitor you have to choose one,if you can get the lmo then apply for a work permit extension and u will be under implied status and u can work with the same conditions if its with the same employer,if new employer then u have to wait for your new work permit.
the other scenario is: if you dont have the lmo and u want to change froma worker to a visitor then you have to stop working once your work permit expired and wait for your visitor record.
i hope its clear for you now :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aba_bab said:
My work permit expires March 17 2012.Suppose I apply for a work permit extension a month before i.e Feb 17th, without a LMO, i know it will get rejected, but as I understand I'll still have my implied status. Now suppose 2 months after my expiry, my rejection comes along, I stop working immiediately, and then apply for restoration of my status on a visitor visa. Will it reflect poorly on my situation when they are evaluating my file to see if I will get a visitor visa?

I don't know if it will reflect poorly or not. I don't think it will matter much. The problem is, it seems like it is taking more than 3 months for work permit renewals these days. So by the time you receive a response on your work permit application, you will not have the option to apply to restore status.

My other question is, suppose I apply for a work permit extension BEFORE my permit expires, but then do not get a response quickly enough, then can I just apply for restoration of status within 90 days after expiry?

I don't know if you can have 2 different temporary worker/resident applications in process at the same time...