+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Allowed To Leave Canada" form? What happens after?

Oct 18, 2011
Upon reaching the Ottawa airport a few weeks ago, they didn't let me in, and had me sign an "Allowed To Leave Canada" form to voluntarily "withdraw my application" to enter Canada. They didn't like that I had no return ticket, had limited funds, and was going to visit my boyfriend.

I tried to ask the IOs whom I dealt with for more information in order to avoid future complications but they were in too much of a hurry to throw me back on a plane that was already late. All they said was to bring proof of my ties to my home country (USA) next time.

Was I was technically "refused entry", or does signing the "Allowed To Leave Canada" form make it look as if nothing even happened?

Will this show up next time my passport is scanned at customs? A report WAS written about me, am I advised to bring up this incident up front, or bring the form with me?

I have since bought a round trip ticket and am ready to go back with proof of my ties to the USA. I have googled to no avail and am wondering if anyone has any success stories of entering Canada after receiving this form.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to prove that I am not trying to stay in Canada? For the record, I am NOT. I just want to visit my boyfriend who can't visit the US at this time, and the stars were all aligned against me that night.

Thank you in advance for any insight, I am really stressing out over this. ???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rosepetalsalata said:
Upon reaching the Ottawa airport a few weeks ago, they didn't let me in, and had me sign an "Allowed To Leave Canada" form to voluntarily "withdraw my application" to enter Canada. They didn't like that I had no return ticket, had limited funds, and was going to visit my boyfriend.

I tried to ask the IOs whom I dealt with for more information in order to avoid future complications but they were in too much of a hurry to throw me back on a plane that was already late. All they said was to bring proof of my ties to my home country (USA) next time.

Was I was technically "refused entry", or does signing the "Allowed To Leave Canada" form make it look as if nothing even happened?

Will this show up next time my passport is scanned at customs? A report WAS written about me, am I advised to bring up this incident up front, or bring the form with me?

I have since bought a round trip ticket and am ready to go back with proof of my ties to the USA. I have googled to no avail and am wondering if anyone has any success stories of entering Canada after receiving this form.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to prove that I am not trying to stay in Canada? For the record, I am NOT. I just want to visit my boyfriend who can't visit the US at this time, and the stars were all aligned against me that night.

Thank you in advance for any insight, I am really stressing out over this. ???
1. Yes you were refused admission.
2. Yes it will show up on GCMS.
3. Yes a report was written.
4. As long as you can show ties to the US, job, apt., savings, sufficient funds and a return ticket, you may be admitted. There is never any guarantee.

Oct 18, 2011
Hi PMM, thanks for your reply.

One problem is that I currently live with my parents, no rental agreements or anything. Would you (or anyone else here) have any suggestions as to what I can show to solidly prove that?

CJayhawk1

May 27, 2011
I was issued the same thing last June when I drove up with my boyfriend planning to live with him for four months. I travel all the time and did not do any research into crossing with my things. My boyfriend had just moved back to Canada from Scotland and did not have much in the way of furniture or household goods so I brought some kitchen items (small appliances even) in addition to my clothes and my two cats. Looking back, given what I know now, I don't blame the IO for turning me right around. I also have an unusual situation in that I; a) own a business where I work from home (Grant Writer); b) live in various properties owned by my parents (so no rental agreement, addresses in multiple states).

For the first year after I was refused entry, I was pulled in for secondary screening each and every time that I attempted to enter Canada (land and airport crossings). This sucks, but it will suck less if you are prepared. I carried with me a file with my business' articles of incorporation, my last tax return, proof of funds in a bank statement, a piece of mail from my US address, and proof of my health insurance in the US and that it is in my primary home state of Florida. It is important also that you bring only enough luggage for your stay. I had occasions where I had to bring my desktop computer and a printer because I planned to work (for my US-based company, for businesses in the US) during my stay. Though the IOs did let me through, it does raise red flags. Most importantly, be honest and upfront with the IOs. It has certainly paid off for me.

As you demonstrate that you are leaving Canada when you are supposed to and that you are not trying to move there illegally to be with your boyfriend, the process will get easier. I visit quite often and am only sometimes pulled in for secondary screening. Most times, I am waved through with only cursory questions. I also just received conditional approval for a Nexus card, which goes to show that being refused entry does not constitute a violation of immigration procedures.

I hope that this helps! I know how confused I was when it happened to me!

Oct 18, 2011
CJayhawk1, thank you so much! This makes me feel a lot more positive. I'm scared, but somewhat more confident about getting back in in 2 weeks.

Kurisuti

Nov 2, 2011
Exact same thing happened to me just recently. I was devastated, as it was a two day trip by BUS from Sioux City IA to Vancouver.

Attempting to cross again right after Christmas. Will take all advice in this thread very seriously. I just hope my lack of a job right now won't kill me. I'll have everything else, saved up funds, return ticket, and most certainly will not pack more for what I intend to stay. ><

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
4. As long as you can show ties to the US, job, apt., savings, sufficient funds and a return ticket, you may be admitted. There is never any guarantee.

IMHO

1. Technically you were not refused....different form
2. GCMS has nothing to do with this
3. A report was most likely not written, if there was you would have a copy.
4. Absolutely correct.

When seeking entry you are making an application to enter and remain in Canada. At any point up to the time an officer decides to write a report you can "Withdraw your application" and you will be allowed to leave. If enforcement action was initiated "A Report" is the charge or allegation the you have contravened the act. Once this report is written it must be referred to another officer.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Waz said:

IMHO

1. Technically you were not refused....different form
2. GCMS has nothing to do with this
3. A report was most likely not written, if there was you would have a copy.
4. Absolutely correct.

When seeking entry you are making an application to enter and remain in Canada. At any point up to the time an officer decides to write a report you can "Withdraw your application" and you will be allowed to leave. If enforcement action was initiated "A Report" is the charge or allegation the you have contravened the act. Once this report is written it must be referred to another officer.
I suggest you read the enforcement manual specifically section 27.1 (substitute GCMS for FOSS) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
GCMS contains information entered to FOSS

Being allowed to leave means a person was given an opportunity to withdraw their application to enter Canada - this is a voluntary process

If a person who has been AL returns seeking to enter Canada and has not done something to remedy the inadmissiility under which he/she was AL that person could be referred for a minister's delegate review if an order may be issued in that way or could be referred for an admissibility hearing. Depending on the inadmissibility the person could be directed back to their country - (US citizens) to attend or arrested and detained for the hearing. Detention is unlikely unless there is a belief the person would not appear for the hearing and almost exclusively for allegations that could result in a deportation order - criminality, previous deport for instance.

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
Look out the window and see green grass.
Is the grass in the House?

I shall correct myself......

If you look for it in GCMS you can find it. But its not actually there.