+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Algoquin College, Ottawa.

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
Hello Everyone!

Im looking to join Algoquin College this fall, 2014.

Can any one help me about these questions?!

1. Ottawa, city of Canada, but is living Expenses High? And how much it is?

2. As an International Student i will be looking for part time jobs. Are those available?

3. How about the people i will be finding there? Friendly? Have heard in Toronto we dont find people that friendly.

Will be looking for your replies. Help me <3 <3

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
great city, great diversity.

hard to find part time jobs but dont get disheartened.

it all depends on your ability to communicate.

this country is know for its oppurtunities and so if you can talk clean and legitimate english you shall go places.

hope this helps

cheers.

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
propain said:
great city, great diversity.

hard to find part time jobs but dont get disheartened.

it all depends on your ability to communicate.

this country is know for its oppurtunities and so if you can talk clean and legitimate english you shall go places.

hope this helps

cheers.
Cheers Propain.

Still when you tell its ' hard ', Of course i should think about it.
But i have already taken the decision on Ottawa, so now i wont be changing that decision and yea, Where there is will There's a way!

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
minuz said:
Cheers Propain.

Still when you tell its ' hard ', Of course i should think about it.
But i have already taken the decision on Ottawa, so now i wont be changing that decision and yea, Where there is will There's a way!
You can simply go to craiglist.com and kijiji.ca and check if you can find jobs of your interest.

Hope that helps :)

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
i am also planning ti study in ottawa.Be in touch.

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
its not impossible.

just a little refined search and you should be successful.

no place is with 0 jobs so its a lil luck and an efficient search that lands you there.

good luck with your endeavor

cheers

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
singh-ak said:
You can simply go to craiglist.com and kijiji.ca and check if you can find jobs of your interest.

Hope that helps :)
Oye Thank you Ji.

Im noting each and everything. The only thing i got in mind is to survive!

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
propain said:
its not impossible.

just a little refined search and you should be successful.

no place is with 0 jobs so its a lil luck and an efficient search that lands you there.

good luck with your endeavor

cheers
You doing alot for me ' Propain '.

Thanks alot! Yea for sure i will find one!

Double Cheers!

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
lovedeepsingh said:
i am also planning ti study in ottawa.Be in touch.
Ofcourse Ji. Being very frank i love Punjabies! You people are like Super Party Humans for me!

minuz0708@gmail.com - Thats my facebook id. Add karo, Maza aayega!

waitingforfi

Feb 25, 2014
Hello minuz,

I lived in Ottawa from 2006 to 2012 as an international student.

#1. I thought the cost of living in Ottawa to be fairly high given its small size. Algonquin College is not near the city center, so if you want to live near the college rent is not too bad. I never lived out that way, but I remember seeing monthly rent at around $650 per month. Most students can find apartments by looking at ottawa.craigslist.ca or ottawa.kijiji.ca. Public transportation (called OC Transpo) is a bit expensive, but there are routes around Algonquin College to take you wherever you need to go. You will want to talk to someone at Algonquin College about whether they still have access to the OC Transpo Student Pass; that is by far the cheapest option for you. If you are smart, you can find groceries relatively cheaply. There are student discounts for all sorts of cultural events in Ottawa, of which there are many in Ottawa due to it being the capital city.

#2. Jobs can be difficult to find in Ottawa. Many employers want someone who can speak English and French; Quebec is just across the river and many people who work in government (the city's larger employer) are bilingual as well. If you have any other qualifications/degrees/etc. you might be able to find related work, but most students get part-time jobs in the retail or service industries.

#3. If I can generalize, there are three kinds of people in Ottawa: people who work in government, students, and everyone else who just happens to live there. I spent more time with students and government people I knew secondhand. I found the students to be extremely friendly and most colleges and universities in Canada have many programs designed to get international students out to meet people and explore. However, there are definitely cultural differences that you will have to get used to. You will have to take the initiative when it comes to being friendly with other people, especially Canadians. Everyone is different of course, but if you are honest and outgoing I'm sure you will have no problem making friends.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I lived in Ottawa as an international student for a while so I'm pretty familiar with the place.

minuz

Feb 21, 2014
waitingforfi said:
Hello minuz,

I lived in Ottawa from 2006 to 2012 as an international student.

#1. I thought the cost of living in Ottawa to be fairly high given its small size. Algonquin College is not near the city center, so if you want to live near the college rent is not too bad. I never lived out that way, but I remember seeing monthly rent at around $650 per month. Most students can find apartments by looking at ottawa.craigslist.ca or ottawa.kijiji.ca. Public transportation (called OC Transpo) is a bit expensive, but there are routes around Algonquin College to take you wherever you need to go. You will want to talk to someone at Algonquin College about whether they still have access to the OC Transpo Student Pass; that is by far the cheapest option for you. If you are smart, you can find groceries relatively cheaply. There are student discounts for all sorts of cultural events in Ottawa, of which there are many in Ottawa due to it being the capital city.

#2. Jobs can be difficult to find in Ottawa. Many employers want someone who can speak English and French; Quebec is just across the river and many people who work in government (the city's larger employer) are bilingual as well. If you have any other qualifications/degrees/etc. you might be able to find related work, but most students get part-time jobs in the retail or service industries.

#3. If I can generalize, there are three kinds of people in Ottawa: people who work in government, students, and everyone else who just happens to live there. I spent more time with students and government people I knew secondhand. I found the students to be extremely friendly and most colleges and universities in Canada have many programs designed to get international students out to meet people and explore. However, there are definitely cultural differences that you will have to get used to. You will have to take the initiative when it comes to being friendly with other people, especially Canadians. Everyone is different of course, but if you are honest and outgoing I'm sure you will have no problem making friends.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I lived in Ottawa as an international student for a while so I'm pretty familiar with the place.

That was a remarkable reply and i do appreciate, Waitngforfi !!
Thanks!

Now the exact thing i want to know is that my course ( Quality Management + Project Management ) will take me to a good Job in future? Im a Mechanical Engineer now and for the reason im much interested in Quality fields im into these courses.

And i did found another course Technology Management.
Which is the better option?

And about the part time jobs, Yup im good in English but French. Anyway i will try to study French! Atleast something that will help me to survive. :)

Thank you!