+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age of Majority Issue in British Columbia Universities

Preeti Jennifer

Oct 16, 2016
hello everyone,
i have got admitted in UNBC for IUPP Program my Age is FEB/8/1999 (17 Years Old),and university flagged me for being too young as per CIC Minimum age of majority in British Columbia is 19. so I am will declare my custodian in Canada .
i want to know my Custodian (Uncle) is Living in Abbotsford (British Columbia) and my University at Prince George (British Columbia) so is it okay.

Province/Territory Age of Majority

• British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon 19
quote a custodian may also be needed for minor children between 17 years of age and the age of majority in the province or territory of the educational institution where they intend to study. This will be at the discretion of an immigration officer.
Abbotsford is 800kms away from Prince George By Car Drive .if i showing Custodian,can it lead to Rejection Chances

Thanks in ADvance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's ultimately up to CIC. However there is wording on the CIC site somewhere that states the custodian has to be within a reasonable distance. Not sure an 8 hour drive is going to be considered reasonable... Again, ultimately up to CIC.

Preeti Jennifer

Oct 16, 2016
hello Scylla,
I have seen CIC website there is nothing about reasonable distance .please check this link

cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

copied from cic site

Minor children – Study in Canada
Minor children must apply for a study permit if they want to study in Canada.

Who is a minor child?
In Canada, each province and territory decides the age when a person is considered to be an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is considered to be a “minor child.”

Province/Territory Age of Majority
Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan 18
British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon 19
What documents to bring to study in Canada
In addition to the documents needed to enter Canada, a minor will need additional documents if he is less than 17 years of age and comes to Canada to study without a parent or legal guardian. The minor must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian. In some cases, a custodian may also be needed for minor children between 17 years of age and the age of majority in the province or territory of the educational institution where they intend to study. This will be at the discretion of an immigration officer.

A minor will need two notarized documents to study in Canada. A notarized document is a document that has been certified by a notary.

The first notarized document must be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s country of origin.
The second notarized document must be signed by the custodian in Canada.
Custodianship requires that legal arrangements be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Complete the Custodian Declaration Form (PDF, 1.02 MB).
An immigration officer must be satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for the care and support of minor children who travel to Canada to study.
Length of time a study permit is valid
For minor children in grades 1 through 8: the study permit is normally valid for one year.

For minor children in grades 9 through 12, or attending a post-secondary institution: the study permit is normally valid for the length of time of studies, plus 90 days.

For minor children attending a post-secondary institution: the study permit is normally valid for the length of time of studies, plus 90 days

For minor children studying in Quebec: the study permit is valid for the same length of time as their CAQ.

Note: In Quebec, minors travelling alone need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) to study.

If a minor child is with parents who have long-term study or work permits, the child’s study permit should be valid for the same length of time as:

the parents’ permits;
the child’s passport if it expires before the parents’ permits; or
the CAQ, if studying in Quebec.
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit
In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

minor children attending kindergarten;
minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You are missing the point as its not this forum you have to convince but immigration that a custodian 800 km away can effectively be responsible and care for you as an unaccompanied minor in a foreign country. Remember your custodian is making a legal declaration/committment in writing to support you as a minor as part of your study permit application so its you who has to convince CIC that it will be workable and within a reasonable distance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Preeti Jennifer said:
hello Scylla,
I have seen CIC website there is nothing about reasonable distance .please check this link

cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

copied from cic site
Read the very end of the custodian form where it states that the custodian is a reasonable distance away from you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/pdf/pub/custodian-parent.pdf

There are other mentions on the CIC web site but I don't have time to find them now.

Preeti Jennifer

Oct 16, 2016
thanks scylla , I have not read the custodian declaration form . i only readed from cic website.

how many kilometers or miles can be counted in reasonable distance.