+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

age differences

annemyrtle

Jul 13, 2009
Hi there, I can't imagine what you've been thru, it's not really that bad but I can feel your frustration.
I do hope that your husband will be able proove his genuine love for you since on this case he will be the one in question. Good luck to you!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent reasons for immigration to Canada! Make sure you and your husband explain all of this clearly in your application. Bodes well towards genuineness.

Next time someone b*tches about Canada's immigration system and laws (including myself :-o) I'm sending them to this thread!

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just out of curiosity....any idea how an IO would respond to this?

Ages - Me 46, Her 48 , Me - US, Her - Canadian - divorced from previous marriage since 2/2000 (finalized 2/2003).
Dating - since 9/2001, engaged 5/2002, married 5/2009

Previous app (me - FSW) - 4/2008, sent back with a refund due to change in NOC codes and their importance in the new application process.

My wife is getting increasingly nervous about the fact that it looks suspisious even though we were advised to do the FSW app first before we decided to get married. Thats why it was so long between the engagement and the wedding ceremony.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It might warrant and extra look by the VO but if you've solidly proven your relationship, shouldn't be an issue. Spousal sponsorships are all about genuineness. Prove it and you are good to go assuming all of the other criteria has been met.

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
I was reading this thread and I have some to add :)

My husband is also Cuban and I am all too familiar with Cuban politics and laws. I was VERY surprised to hear that your 30 year old husband only found out about Cuban law regarding living/staying with a Cuban family after they threatened him with jailtime. The laws surrounding Cubans and foreigners are very widespread and commonly known in Cuba. From when my husband and first I met and during my several trips to the island he made it very clear that we could only stay in a Casa Particular (rental houses that have been authorized by the Cuban government to rent to foreigners) and that we needed to be very careful with the authorities because of this. Cuban law prohibits Cubans from mingling/covorting/ speaking to a tourist (unless your job requires it i.e. for those working in a hotel).

I think there are 2 main reasons neither of your lawyers nor employees at the Consular Offices mentioned these laws when you got married:

1) they most probably well assumed that at lest your husband knew the legalities (as I said it is widespread throughout the island and everyone I know there is aware), and
2) because a marriage between a Cuban and a "foreigner" is not illegal. The marriage process is perfectly legal and Cuban authorities cannot prohibit this.

I think you were robbed of $3,000.00 as the paperwork for the marriage process does not require this much money.

All this being said, the Canadian embassy in Havana does tend to scrutinize applications for couples that do have an significant age difference. I don't want to come off as negative nor discourage you but I know several cases (where the wife is sponsoring their Cuban husband) where the PR was refused. Just make sure youhave more than enough proof to show them your relationship is genuine and you should be okay.

Cuba is a beautiful island with even more beautiful people but there is also alot of political unrest, economic problems, food scarcity and is generally very poor. Many there call it a prison floating in the middle of the Carribean.Yes, there are several proud Cubans that have no intend on ever leaving their country but there are many more that are aching to get out. This is a reality and the CIC in Havana knows this. As robertbola mentioned age difference is a concern when sponsoring someone from a poor island like Cuba. I know of a lady that is several years older than her Cuban husband and he made it clear he was excited to be coming here because he was tired of running out of hot water for days on end. It wasn't because he wanted to be with her, he was simply fed up. It's Cuba's reality... thousands of people frustrated at their confinement and lack of resources.

Gather more than necessary and ensure you have a strong file. Good luck!

F

Fernandita

Hi, I also have a difference age with my husband.. im older than him but is just a 4 years ..He is the one who is sponsor me and we may have an interview because our file was sent to the Local cic... but yes usually the husband is older than the wife and Immigration see this.. as long as you proof and give more than enough evidence im sure you will be ok...

smart_saqib143

Nov 21, 2008
to encourage the people who are worry on age differences, i want to tell them in same boat love my wife even though we have age differences, its true it rising concerns in visa officer's mind and they can refuse but if you are in genuine relationship no one will refuse all you have to provide evidences. on same forum we have learn people with 35 years of differences approved and here one member recently got approved in appeal they had 20 years of age difference. so dont worry! these laws and rules are made to make immigration system more better, not to make people life hard. good luck

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Fernandita said:
Hi, I also have a difference age with my husband.. im older than him but is just a 4 years ..He is the one who is sponsor me and we may have an interview because our file was sent to the Local cic... but yes usually the husband is older than the wife and Immigration see this.. as long as you proof and give more than enough evidence im sure you will be ok...
I'm 4 years older than my husband as well. I was 21 and him 17 when we met (4 years at that age is quite a difference), 27 for me and 23 for him when I got my visa. We had zero issues with the visa, no interview or anything, but we also sent a whole bunch of evidence to show our relationship is genuine. I don't think the age was a factor in our case.

Wusang

Dec 14, 2011
If you paid $3000 for marriage processing you are in trouble and should drop this Cubano immediately, your being used. I know, I am married to a Cuban now for over 20 years. I speak Cuban Spanish and completely understand Cuban cultural issues and day to day life having lived in Cuba as a foreigner for three years. Thirty years differences is a laugh, have your fun and get out with your life savings before your relieved of them.

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
Just to let you know I am 20 years older than my husband and his visa was denied. No reasons or facts or arguments were given in the refusal letter. I guess they did not like the age difference. I ordered the notes a couple of weeks ago, so I will know for sure the reasons for refusal.

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
I am 17 years older than my husband (he's Portuguese), ours was approved with no interview in just less than 5 months

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
Kaycee1 said:
I am 17 years older than my husband (he's Portuguese), ours was approved with no interview in just less than 5 months
Incredible!!! :eek:

My husband had interview on September 12 and 2 months later he received refusal letter without any explanation. The first thing the visa officer told him at the interview was that she did not believe our marriage was genuine. Then, he defended and explained himself, answered all her questions in a satisfactory manner. He said she looked pleased and convinced at the end of the 40 minutes long interview.

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Just to let you know, if you look at the last posts of the original poster, it looks like she was a victim of marriage fraud...So IO have a good reason to be very scrutinizing of similar situations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sidkrose said:
Just to let you know, if you look at the last posts of the original poster, it looks like she was a victim of marriage fraud...So IO have a good reason to be very scrutinizing of similar situations.
Yes - I remember reading the OP's story when she discovered the fraud. It was horrible.

I'm someone else with an age gap. I'm 17 years younger than my husband (I'm the Canadian who sponsored him). We were processed in four months despite the age gap. I think this was due to the fact that he's American, we dated and lived together for several years before getting married, similar religious / educational / professional backgrounds, same group of friends (we met through friends), extensive trips taken together (25+ trips together involving flights), strong connections to family on both sides, etc. We provided a great deal of proof in our application to overcome the age gap.

I do feel lucky because I know others have suffered due to age gaps. I think we were also fortunate because our age gap is the kind that CIC considers to be more "acceptable" (i.e. woman younger than man).

Wusang

Dec 14, 2011
I would estimate 9 out of 10 Cubano/Canadian relationship are fraud. That is based on over two decades of observation on and off the island. There is a reason Cuban women once out of the country do not seek out Cuban men. Ask one day why of a Cuban woman why that is, I already know the answer she will tell you. I have heard it over and over from so many Cuban women both on and off the island and seen it with my own two eyes. There will always be the one or two exceptions but that is the 1/10 part of the equation.

Stay away from Cuban men is a golden rule for foreign women out here. Your just buying heartache by the ton. Try this site cubaamor.org it is filled with season pros on the topic. All have been burned by Cuban(s) one way or another and can spot them a mile away. PROS!!!!! Tell them your story and let them tear it apart for you and put it back together again only correctly.