+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affording to be a student?

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
Hello, not really sure if this is the correct place to ask, especially for this topic but I went online to the university I want to attend in a few years, it's in Toronto, however couldn't find what I was looking for in terms of information for international students!

My question is that, how on earth do people afford to study in Canada if they're not exactly 'well off' or rich, I'm 21 years old attending college right now trying to get grades that would help me get into uni, i'm working right now trying to gather funds to pay, but 20$ per semester is crazy! I'm extremely motivated and want to go thats why I am working so hard..

I couldn't find any scholarships that would apply to me, does anyone know how to study in canada without having to be super rich? My mum doesn't work, and im trying to support her too.. but it's her own choice i want to live my own life, in canada.

I did overstay accidentally for 4 months.. but, i wont be returning for at least 2.5 years and was never issued any leaving order, will this effect me too?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You overstayed in Canada? You have to declare this when applying for your permit whether it was 'accidental' or not.

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
You overstayed in Canada? You have to declare this when applying for your permit whether it was 'accidental' or not.
On the visa application or the university application?

I know, I will not lie about it.. but hopefully enough time will have passed, since leaving I've been working and going to school in the back here in the Uk..

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
I want to apply for the BA of early childhood studies at Reyerson in Toronto, In the UK i'm doing a pre-university program of Childhood studies, which is equivalent to 1st year of university. I think I'd be able to go straight into 2nd or 3rd year at university at Reyerson, which would save money on tuition..

What is a SOP? I've never heard of that, sorry..

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
SOP = statement of Purpose. basically a formal letter stating why you want to come to Canada, that you will go back after your studies, etc

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Mostly everybody has the same plan to come here, study and then get a PGWP and then PR if possible, but don't say that in your SOP. Just state that you want to come and study here so you can get a better job/prospects back in the UK. Also, try and mention that you have good home ties, like family etc. It sounds stupid, but just play the game. If you outright say you wanna come here and live, they will come to the conclusion that will just stay here illegally after your course and refuse visa.

Reactions: PARAM-

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
Mostly everybody has the same plan to come here, study and then get a PGWP and then PR if possible, but don't say that in your SOP. Just state that you want to come and study here so you can get a better job/prospects back in the UK. Also, try and mention that you have good home ties, like family etc. It sounds stupid, but just play the game. If you outright say you wanna come here and live, they will come to the conclusion that will just stay here illegally after your course and refuse visa.
Yeah that was exactly my plan, study, get work and eventually the PR. Alright thank you I'll defenitely say that instead, I'm not just hoping the 4month overstay won't be held against me then.. damn.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
When you apply for a course, try to get one at least 2 years long from a public college and then you will qualify for a 3 year PGWP. Also, why not go somewhere cheaper than Toronto to study and then move there when you get your PGWP. Just a suggestion.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah that was exactly my plan, study, get work and eventually the PR. Alright thank you I'll defenitely say that instead, I'm not just hoping the 4month overstay won't be held against me then.. damn.
It will be the lack of funds that will really be held against you. You will need to show at least $25000 upfront and also show how you will finance the rest of it. You will not make enough in Canada to cover your costs.

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
It will be the lack of funds that will really be held against you. You will need to show at least $25000 upfront and also show how you will finance the rest of it. You will not make enough in Canada to cover your costs.
I thought it was 20k? I would work when I get there either on the campus or off, I may have my family sending money too. How do other students cover all of their costs then? They all can't come from rich families..

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
When you apply for a course, try to get one at least 2 years long from a public college and then you will qualify for a 3 year PGWP. Also, why not go somewhere cheaper than Toronto to study and then move there when you get your PGWP. Just a suggestion.
My course in college is 1 year, if i took a different course would that still count? I mean by doing 2 years at college, different courses? or would it need to be the same course for 2 years? I don't know ! I just really love Toronto..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I thought it was 20k? I would work when I get there either on the campus or off, I may have my family sending money too. How do other students cover all of their costs then? They all can't come from rich families..
$25 000 is the usual number based on international tuition and living costs. As I said, working here will not be enough. You likely won't even cover your living expenses.

Families save for years. They have parents/sibings/other family sponsoring their studies. They take student loans. They get scholarships in their countries. Parents mortgage houses, sell properties/assets, etc.

Reactions: PARAM-