+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice- overstayed student permit

mbx25

Aug 24, 2023
i suffered a depression and psychotic break that last months so i wasn’t able to extend my student permit. When i got out of the hospital i realize that i overstayed my student permit. I thought i could still extend so i did a demand to ircc to extend my student permit while explaining the whole situation with proof that i was not in the right mental state but i got refused and in the letter they send me they asked me to leave the country what should i do while waiting to renew my passport and the ircc time plus the time i was depressed i overstayed for more than a year. What should i do i only have two semesters before i graduate if i leave can i comeback?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i suffered a depression and psychotic break that last months so i wasn’t able to extend my student permit. When i got out of the hospital i realize that i overstayed my student permit. I thought i could still extend so i did a demand to ircc to extend my student permit while explaining the whole situation with proof that i was not in the right mental state but i got refused and in the letter they send me they asked me to leave the country what should i do while waiting to renew my passport and the ircc time plus the time i was depressed i overstayed for more than a year. What should i do i only have two semesters before i graduate if i leave can i comeback?
So you took a year off without studying? You would not have been eligible for extension and school may have notified IRCC to cancel study permit. Assume you have changed your status to visitor. You will need to reapply for a study permit. You will not be eligible for a PGWP with your current program. So would finish program and return home, if study permit is approved.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have overstayed for more than 90 days, there is no way to fix your status from within Canada. You need to leave Canada. It would be best if you did that as soon as possible if you want to return.

Once you are back in your home country, you will need to apply for a new study permit. You will want to include evidence (e.g. doctors letters, hospital records) to support the fact that you had a medical situation and that this impacted your studies. Hopefully you also let your school know and were on an official break. You will want to show this as well. When you apply for a new study permit, you will want to explain what happened and why you are now well enough to return to Canada to continue your studies. You will also need a letter from your school confirming that you are enrolled and able to return to complete your two remaining semesters. Note that due to the break in your studies, you most likely will not qualify for a PGWP if you are able to return to Canada and complete your studies. If a PGWP is important to you, then you may want to consider starting a brand new program.

I'm assuming you did not work while you were out of school.