+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed

GEN80s

Jan 22, 2011
Hello everyone I recently joined a few weeks to a month ago, I'm not exactly sure what area of the forum to post this topic so forgive me for the mishap. I am 34 soon to be 35 at the end of May unemployed at the moment looking into either a Canadian or an Australian Work Visa but my work experience is limited. I used to be in Waste Management/collection and removal service and general maintenance for around ten years. I'm not sure where that can help me with any options I have or dont have or would I need to start all over get more training in a required field. I tried over and over looking at the websites but in some way shape or form I get stopped in the process. You need a expert just to even explain the websites, Now a days seem only way to get into any country is with a respectable job offer. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Jason

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In most cases, you need a job offer to be able to get a work permit. In Canada, the employer needs to apply for a labour market opinion before you can apply for a work permit for the job. The labour market opinion is to prove that he has advertised the job for a certain period and that he is offering market wage and that he has been unable to find qualified Canadians or PR's.

You can try applying online but you could also go as a visitor and try to find a job that way. You are not allowed to work though until the work permit is through.

As a low skilled worker, you would have very few options to immigrate. New rules are coming into effect soon for temporary work permits which means you could stay for up to 4 years on a work permit and then you would have to leave again for 4 before you could apply again.

GEN80s

Jan 22, 2011
Thank you for the information, didn't think my experence in the waste and disposal fields would get me any points. Looks like I have just do the foot work, probably visit the a few countries if possible and see what out there. Would you or anyone here know of any good job resources web sites for a situation like mine as a starting point for either Canada or Australia. I can maybe get a job in a cruise line some where and gain some experience in the hospitality & travel industry and go from there

Thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are some occupations where you have a chance of immigrating without having to first go to university for years etc. You can look at http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/entry_level/who.page? If you have experience in some of these occupations and managed to get a job and work permit doing that in BC, you would have a chance at employer sponsorship. Long Haul truck drivers have a chance of sponsorship also in AB and SK.

Another way would be if you were a supervisor, even if it is just a shift manager at a fast food restaurant. Such a job is classified as skilled and with a skilled work permit, you have a lot more options to immigrate, basically with employer sponsorship in most provinces or under Canadian experience class after 2 yrs. work.

GEN80s

Jan 22, 2011
I thank you for all the help and the quick replies, though my experience is limited this is great food for thought and I will look into it asap and see what I can find. This has also helped one of my friends, she also looking immigrate to Canada in the future and this has helped her too.

Thank you again :)