+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed regarding property

gidness

May 11, 2007
Dear all,

My situation is causing a bit of headache and was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or can help out. I have sent my passport to London to get stamped for my visa, but because i had my medical last year I have to leave the UK before 31/05/08. I have a flat I need to sell here in Scotland and it wont be ready to sell for another week yet. Time is ticking by and I know I am going to be pushed to sell it and leave the UK before the end of May. Obviously me and my gf dont want any more delays with me getting to Canada so if I can't sell my place before the end of May, is my best bet just to go to Canada, go thru the landing interview etc, then come back to Scotland to sell up?!?!?!

As i say I am hoping for a quick sale but know it can take a good few weeks for dates to be set for leaving/new owners entering property.

Many Thanks,

Olly

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gidness said:
Dear all,

My situation is causing a bit of headache and was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or can help out. I have sent my passport to London to get stamped for my visa, but because i had my medical last year I have to leave the UK before 31/05/08. I have a flat I need to sell here in Scotland and it wont be ready to sell for another week yet. Time is ticking by and I know I am going to be pushed to sell it and leave the UK before the end of May. Obviously me and my gf dont want any more delays with me getting to Canada so if I can't sell my place before the end of May, is my best bet just to go to Canada, go thru the landing interview etc, then come back to Scotland to sell up?!?!?!

As i say I am hoping for a quick sale but know it can take a good few weeks for dates to be set for leaving/new owners entering property.

Many Thanks,

Olly
You could "land" and return on the next flight if you wanted. As long as you reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period, you will be fine.

PMM

gidness

May 11, 2007
hi

thanks for the reply, i was thinking that i would have to go to canada for just a week or so, come back to scotland to sell up, then go back to canada again lol. i cant think of any other way round this as we are planning to set up home in canada for good if all goes to plan.

regards,

olly

Mar 15, 2008
There is a small issue with leaving by the "next flight" after landing. The Permanent Residency Visa is a single entry visa.
If you leave by the next flight you cannot enter again. The better way is to immediately apply for you Permanent Residency Card,
wait for approx two weeks in Canada, pick it up where ever it is issued and then go back to your country. This way you have a way
back to Canada without hassles. This also means you would have to set up a residence (address) in Canada; shared accommodation which is the cheapest would do just for two weeks you can always change your residence. Start searching for one
before you arrive in Canada; Goal should be to move in on the first day; otherwise you may have to take a hotel/motel and spend an extra week or two to get a residence. This takes not only more money but also extra time.
Does this make sense? If not, please correct me.

gidness

May 11, 2007
hi,

thanks very much for that. it does make sense my gf is staying with her sister just now and we were planning on living with her sis for 2 months or so till we can get our own place. so basically i need my PR card asap once i arrive in canada and set up my address where i am staying, and then once i get the card i'd be free to come back to scotland to sell up. do u know if there are any mortgage restrictions for ppl like myself who are joining their partners in canada? since i would be a PR am hoping there wont be.

many thanks,

olly

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gidness said:
hi,

thanks very much for that. it does make sense my gf is staying with her sister just now and we were planning on living with her sis for 2 months or so till we can get our own place. so basically i need my PR card asap once i arrive in canada and set up my address where i am staying, and then once i get the card i'd be free to come back to scotland to sell up. do u know if there are any mortgage restrictions for ppl like myself who are joining their partners in canada? since i would be a PR am hoping there wont be.

many thanks,

olly
Since it appears that you are a UK citizen, you can basically ignore SubAtomic, as you don't require a visa to enter Canada. Your PR card takes 30 days to process after landing, have it sent to an address of a friend in Canada, and they can forward it to you. The only problem that you may have returning as a UK citizen to Canada, is that most airlines would not board you with a one way ticket. It is usually cheaper for a return anyway.

NAZ78

Mar 23, 2008
another small addition to what the folks have said prior is that the embassy in London under no circumstances will extend your PR visa unless you undergo a new medical check and all the hassles associated with that and issuing a new PR visa. You can go back to Scotland soon after you land in Canada, and have your GF forward your PR card to you in Scotland so you won't have any issues when coming back to start your residency in Canada.

Good luck

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
Just land, do the paperwork and leave, if for whatever reason you need to go to Canada prior to you getting your PR card just use your UK Passport

gidness

May 11, 2007
hi all,

thanks for posts yeah seems like i have no choice but to go to canada, see the gf then leave after a week and get her to post my pr card. just really worried and realistic that i wont get my place sold by the end of may so trying to think ahead and see what options i have. lot of hassle with flights and ££££ but worth it in the end.

this is causing major headaches though lol

regards,

olly