+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed -Immigrant to marry daughter

cobracdn

Sep 24, 2014
Really need some advice here, and please keep in mind there are circumstances beyond what I'm willing to post here.

My daughter dated this guy for under a year, they lived together for a portion of that relationship until his visa ran out. Story i got was he was unable to hold a full time job and be sponsored by the employer. So he left Canada with an expired Visa in August I believe. Their relationship was troubled to say the least.. lets leave it at that. If this wasn't the case.. I would be helping him get his citizenship.

He is somehow back in Canada now, not sure on how that worked, does not seem to be enough time for any applications to have been processed. And now apparently they are to be married Oct 4th.

How is this possible.... would she not have to sponsor him in some fashion.. and what would she need to be able to do that.... she doesn't have any money.. is living with another person... would not think she could sponsor anything.

Is it that simple.. he waltzes back into Canada.. talks her into marriage.. and presto we have a new Canadian?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's entirely possible he returned to Canada as a tourist. He may have had a multiple entry visa that allowed him to enter Canada again. Without more details, It's really impossible to say. No - she wouldn't have necessarily had to sponsor him in order for him to return as a temporary visitor.

Once they're married, I assume she is going to sponsor him as her spouse. This will get him permanent residency (not citizenship - citizenship has additional criteria which he doesn't yet meet). As long as she has the fees required to sponsor someone (around $1K) and isn't on welfare or bankrupt - she can sponsor a spouse.

Not sure what you mean by "living with someone". If you mean she is sharing an apartment with someone or living at someone's house who is a friend - that's not a barrier to sponsoring a spouse. If you saying she's in a relationship with someone else, then yes, that would be a barrier to sponsoring a spouse provided CIC (immigration) finds out.

cobracdn

Sep 24, 2014
Thank you so much for responding.

She's living with another person as a room mate as she can't afford her own place.

If she can pay the fee, it would be from credit as she is in debt, but as far as I know never claimed bankruptcy.

We just found out he is here as a visitor and the marriage must take place very soon, or he will have to leave the country.

It's looking like our hands are tied... she seems blind to our concerns.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cobracdn said:
Thank you so much for responding.

She's living with another person as a room mate as she can't afford her own place.

If she can pay the fee, it would be from credit as she is in debt, but as far as I know never claimed bankruptcy.

We just found out he is here as a visitor and the marriage must take place very soon, or he will have to leave the country.

It's looking like our hands are tied... she seems blind to our concerns.
In general, a quick relationship followed by a quick wedding and then applying for PR right away, could be looked at as very suspicious to CIC, and they could suspect its a marriage of convenience (i.e. a marriage only done to expedite immigration process).

Will you and your family be attending the wedding? A big wedding with lots of family/friends will add credibility to the relationship, while if they just do a small private wedding with none of you there, that could again add to the suspicion of a marriage of convenience.

In the end though, if they get married and she sponsors him, there isn't much you can do. It's up to CIC to determine if the relationship is genuine and if he gets approved for PR. Should note also that he will get Conditional PR, meaning that he and your daughter must live together for 2 full years after he gets PR status. If during that time they separate, he could lose his PR status.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The other thing to be aware of (if your daughter doesn't know yet), once she sponsors him and he becomes a permanent resident, she will be responsible for him financially for 3 yrs. If he collects welfare, the gov't will send her the bill.

cobracdn

Sep 24, 2014
Thank you all for the information.

One more question if I may.

If I'm reading correctly on the CIC site, my daughter as the sponsor would not be required to meet any financial requirements as there are no dependents involved? Is that correct?

Again thank you all for your assistance. Cheers

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You must mean dependents... and yes, there will be no financial requirements. That said, if she is unemployed, it would be wise for her to include a plan of how she will provide for herself and her husband. If she'll be getting help from family, a letter from relatives attesting to this would be helpful.

If CIC(immigration) thinks she is unable to provide for herself much less someone else, they will ask him(husband) to demonstrate that he is able to take care of her and himself. If he can't satisfy them, he could be refused. So it's not an "easy" process by any stretch and the completing the forms properly is a task in itself. Hope it works out well for all involved.

cobracdn said:
Thank you all for the information.

One more question if I may.

If I'm reading correctly on the CIC site, my daughter as the sponsor would not be required to meet any financial requirements as there are no depressants involved? Is that correct?

Again thank you all for your assistance. Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cobracdn said:
If I'm reading correctly on the CIC site, my daughter as the sponsor would not be required to meet any financial requirements as there are no dependents involved? Is that correct?
Even if there were dependents (i.e. children) involved there would still be no financial requirements she would have to meet (apart from not being on welfare and not being bankrupt).

There are financial requirements (minimum income levels) to meet if you are sponsoring your parents or grandparents. However these rules don't apply to a spouse or children.

Linda A Perez

Dec 30, 2013
Yes,she will have to sponsor him after marriage and as Scylia said, he must have come as a tourist.Canadian immigration gives a lot of importance for family reunification .The family class application sponsorship is applicable only for a close relative of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada .The point system is not applicable for this category,instead they are sponsored by a relative who will provide assistance in the process.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
cobracdn said:
Really need some advice here, and please keep in mind there are circumstances beyond what I'm willing to post here.

My daughter dated this guy for under a year, they lived together for a portion of that relationship until his visa ran out. Story i got was he was unable to hold a full time job and be sponsored by the employer. So he left Canada with an expired Visa in August I believe. Their relationship was troubled to say the least.. lets leave it at that. If this wasn't the case.. I would be helping him get his citizenship.

He is somehow back in Canada now, not sure on how that worked, does not seem to be enough time for any applications to have been processed. And now apparently they are to be married Oct 4th.

How is this possible.... would she not have to sponsor him in some fashion.. and what would she need to be able to do that.... she doesn't have any money.. is living with another person... would not think she could sponsor anything.

Is it that simple.. he waltzes back into Canada.. talks her into marriage.. and presto we have a new Canadian?
Beyond what has already been told to you by fellow members, am wondering how this guy came in even as a tourist. Immigration grills quite a lot at the port of entry like who would you be with, do you have work here, who will sponsor your stay etc? Your daughter is Canadian so they might have a leeway when it comes to who is going to support his stay etc. Perhaps you have watched the Border Security Canada episodes where young guys/gals are returned to home country by next flight because CBSA feels that they are entering Canada never to leave. So am sure he gave very solid explanation to CIC on his intention to return and when he submitted application for tourist visa he submitted sufficient fund.
If you think your daughter's life is going the wrong way and most importantly if you have strong evidence of showing CIC/CBSA that he did not return to Canada to go out soon but to marry your daughter and live here permanently, you can anonymously report to CIC/CBSA about details of this case. The guy will be taken out of Canada soon.