+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adopted applicant - Information needed !

nlque

Jan 28, 2016
Hi everyone,

My husband and me will be applying for spousal sponsorship soon, but we could use some help for the forms.

Some background: He was born in Columbia and adopted when he was 1 year old by Dutch parents, he is thus a Dutch citizen. He has never had any contact with his biological family since then. He has 2 different birth certificates produced in Columbia. A first one with his name at birth and listing his biological parents. A second one with his name after adoption and listing his adoptive parents.

1. Should we include both birth certificates in our application? Or does the adoption one legally cancel the previous? Should they both be translated if they are practically identical except for the names?

2. In IMM0008 "Have you ever used any other name?", should we put his name before adoption?

3. In IMM5406, should we also include his biological parents or brother with whom he has never had any contact after age 1? He does not know where they live, or even if they are still alive.

Thank you for your help!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I would include both, complete with an explanation such as you have provided here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

1. I would include both with an explanation letter, just to be safe.

2. As above, you may as well list the name with an explanation.

3. Only his actual (adoptive) parents should be listed; his bio parents are not legally related to him anymore and therefore don't count for the app. For his brother, he can list what information he knows and just add an additional sheet explaining that he hasn't had contact since he was adopted.

None of this will have any negative effect on the app. Just explain everything and it will be fine.