+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admissiblity

Bassamazzam

Nov 20, 2016
Hello.
I am palestinian refugee from Lebanon and national of no where .(statless)came to USA on student visa and graduated with Bachelor degree in engineering .I was born in United Arab Emirates .My problem is that I was involved in fraud (inconvenience marriage to American lady to evade the immigration law and be able to stay in USA as I have no where to go.I was convicted with 3 years probation and most probably will be ordered deportation . My question is will my conviction make me inadmissible in Canada? Is it considered equivalent to a crime that if it is canada makes me inadmissible?
My second question is that if I was found inadmissible will I be turned back to usa or allowed entry and appear for in admissibility hearing ?
Any response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not sure what you mean by "inadmissibility hearing".

If you're asking about claiming refugee status in Canada, your charges could be an issue in Canada.

Do you have close family members in Canada?

Bassamazzam

Nov 20, 2016
Yes I do have my sister in Canada.
Admissibility hearing is conducted in side canada in front of Judge. Some people told me I may be arrested and locked and then appear for in admissibility hearing in front of judge .

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bassamazzam said:
Yes I do have my sister in Canada.
Admissibility hearing is conducted in side canada in front of Judge. Some people told me I may be arrested and locked and then appear for in admissibility hearing in front of judge .
At the request of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), foreign nationals or permanent residents who are believed to have contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) appear before the Immigration Division (ID) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) for admissibility hearings. (In a limited number of cases, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) may also request an admissibility hearing.)

A person may not be able to enter or remain in Canada if the ID determines that he or she:

has failed in some way to comply with IRPA
is a security threat
has violated human or international rights
has been involved in crime or organized crime
has engaged in misrepresentation, such as claiming a false identity
has a health condition (in some cases)
does not have enough money to support him or herself, or
is accompanying an inadmissible family member
In some cases, the CBSA has the power to issue removal orders directly; that is, to send the person out of Canada, without requesting an admissibility hearing.

When the CBSA requests an admissibility hearing, it also sends the IRB a report. The report explains why it believes the person should not be allowed to enter or remain in Canada.

A member (decision-maker) will hear the review according to the IRB tribunal process. The process is adversarial. There are two opposing parties: the person believed to be inadmissible and Minister's counsel for the CBSA (or for CIC). The admissibility hearing process is also public, so media or members of the public may attend or report on the proceedings

Minister's counsel will say why the person should not be allowed to enter or remain in Canada. The person, or his or her counsel, will respond. After considering all the evidence, the member makes a decision and then issues an order. The order either requires the person to leave Canada or allows the person to enter or remain in Canada. Terms and conditions may be imposed. If the person was in detention, the member may order the person to remain in detention if he or she believes that the reasons for the original detention still stand.

In some cases, the person may be able to appeal the removal order to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the IRB. In some cases, the person may be able to seek permission, or leave, of the Federal Court of Canada for a judicial review of the IRB's decision. Minister's counsel may also seek leave for judicial review.

What role does the IRB play in immigration admissibility hearings?
The IRB hears your case and decides whether you may enter or remain in Canada. The IRB is an independent administrative tribunal that makes legally binding decisions – like a court, only in a less formal manner. The IRB also decides other immigration and refugee matters. For more information about the IRB, visit the IRB website.

What role does the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) play in immigration admissibility hearings?
The CBSA's role is to manage, control and secure Canadian borders. It is responsible for allowing people to enter Canada and for detaining and removing people from Canada who do not have the right to remain here. For more information about the CBSA, visit the CBSA Web site at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) is an important part of Canada's immigration law. IRPA deals with immigration and refugee protection matters in Canada, including who can enter and remain in Canada. You can read IRPA on the IRB website.

Why might you be ordered to appear at an immigration admissibility hearing?
Under Canada's immigration law, if the CBSA has reason to believe that you should not enter or remain in Canada, you may be ordered to appear at an immigration admissibility hearing before the Immigration Division of the IRB. A member (decision-maker) of the Immigration Division will then decide independently if you are admissible – that is, whether or not you may enter or remain in Canada.

Why might you be inadmissible to Canada?
If you are a foreign national or a permanent resident, you might not be allowed to enter or remain in Canada if you:

Have failed in some way to comply with Canada’s immigration law (IRPA)
Are a security threat
Have violated human or international rights
Have been involved in crime or organized crime
Have misrepresented yourself, such as, by presenting false information
Have a health condition (in some cases)
Do not have enough money to support yourself financially, or
Are a close relative of someone who is inadmissible (in some cases)
If any one of these reasons for inadmissibility applies to you, you may be asked to appear at an immigration inadmissibility hearing.

A permanent resident is a person whom the Government of Canada has allowed to live permanently in Canada, and who may later apply to become a Canadian citizen.

A foreign national is a person from another country who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.

Who attends an admissibility hearing?
You, to present your story
Your counsel, if you have one, to help you present your story
An interpreter, provided by the IRB, if you need one to speak for you in English or French
Minister’s counsel, to present the CBSA's case
Any witnesses, if they are called to give information
A representative of your country’s embassy or consulate, if you request it
A representative of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), in some cases, if you are also a refugee claimant
An IRB member, to decide the matter
Immigration admissibility hearings are usually open to the public. Media or other observers may sit in or have access to information about your case. The hearing may be held in private if, for example, you are also a refugee claimant, or if a public hearing would threaten your safety.

What happens at an admissibility hearing?
The IRB member is in charge of the hearing. The member will start by introducing everyone and explaining what is about to happen to make sure you understand. If you have an interpreter, the member will check that you understand each other.

Next:

Minister’s counsel will explain why the CBSA believes you should not be allowed to enter or remain in Canada.
You or your counsel will have the opportunity to respond, to explain your story and to ask questions.
The member may ask you questions throughout the hearing.
If there are witnesses to present information, Minister’s counsel, you, your counsel or the member may ask them questions.
After hearing from both sides, the member will decide whether you should be allowed to enter or remain in Canada, or whether you must leave Canada because you are inadmissible. The member will usually state his or her decision and the reasons for this decision at the end of the hearing. If not, the IRB will send you a copy of the decision and the reasons in the mail shortly after the hearing.
What happens if the member decides that you may enter or remain in Canada?
If the member determines that you are admissible, you will be allowed to enter or remain in Canada. If you are in detention, the member will order your release.

What happens if the member decides that you may not enter or remain in Canada?
If the member decides that you are inadmissible and that you may not enter or remain in Canada, he or she will issue a removal order to allow the CBSA to remove you from Canada. If you are in detention, the member may order that you remain in detention until you are removed.

What happens if the member issues a removal order? What do the different types of orders mean?
Departure order
Under a departure order, you must leave Canada within 30 days after the order comes into effect. Before leaving, you must contact the CBSA to get a certificate of departure as proof that you are leaving Canada. You do this by going to an immigration office at a port of entry (such as an airport, a border crossing or a port). If you do not leave Canada within 30 days and do not obtain a certificate of departure, the departure order automatically becomes a deportation order.

Deportation order
Under a deportation order, you must leave Canada. In most cases, you may not return unless you have the written permission from the Government of Canada. This order is usually issued for serious matters, such as a security threat or a serious violation of Canada's immigration law.

Exclusion order
Under an exclusion order, you must leave Canada and may not return for one year unless you have written permission from the Government of Canada. In some cases, you may be barred from returning to Canada for two years.

Hearing room
What if the IRB orders you to leave Canada? Can you appeal the ID's decision?
In some cases, you may be able to appeal a removal order to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the IRB. If you are successful, the IAD may accept your appeal and cancel the removal order. Or, it may stay the removal order – that is, put it on hold for a certain period of time. Either way, it means the CBSA cannot act on the order to remove you from Canada.

Not everyone is allowed to appeal. For example, if you have been convicted of a crime with a sentence of two years or more, or if you are a security threat, you may not appeal the removal order.

You can ask for leave (or permission) of the Federal Court of Canada for judicial review of the decision.

What if you are also claiming refugee protection?
If you are claiming refugee protection in Canada and you are detained, the Refugee Protection Division of the IRB will process your refugee claim. For related information, please consult the Claimant's Guide.

What if you are also detained?
A member will also review the reasons for your detention at a separate detention review hearing. This hearing may be held on the same day as your admissibility hearing (often right after), or it may be scheduled for another time. You will be told the date of your detention review ahead of time.

For more information, see the IRB booklet entitled Detention Review Hearings. Or, visit the IRB website.

Who can help you with your case?
Immigration admissibility hearings are a serious matter. You may wish to hire a lawyer or a professional immigration consultant to help you. If you are in Quebec, you may also hire a notary. You are responsible for paying the cost of counsel. If you cannot afford a lawyer or a notary, and if you qualify, you may be able to get free legal help, such as legal aid. You may also represent yourself if you wish. Some community or religious organizations that help immigrants and refugees may also be able to help you. Ask a CBSA officer for help in finding more information.

Counsel: Someone who represents and provides advice to a person appearing before the IRB. If counsel is being paid, he or she must be a lawyer, a paralegal or a registered immigration consultant. In Quebec, a notary may also be used. Counsel must be a member in good standing of his or her professional association. The person appearing before the IRB is responsible for paying his or her counsel. A trusted advisor or a family member or any other person, if they are not being paid, may also represent the person.

ISBN: 0-662-49226-9

Catalogue Number: MQ21-34/2006

Produced by: Communications Directorate, Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, May 2006

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/AdmEnq/Pages/HeaEnq.aspx

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/eng/boacom/references/procedures/pages/processadmenq.aspx

Bassamazzam

Nov 20, 2016
Thank you very much for your valuable explanation and informations.
Now, my concern is :
My conviction in USA was fraud marriage to evade immigration law.is this conviction in Canadian criminal law considered serious and indictable that makes me inadmissible?
Thanks

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bassamazzam said:
Thank you very much for your valuable explanation and informations.
Now, my concern is :
My conviction in USA was fraud marriage to evade immigration law.is this conviction in Canadian criminal law considered serious and indictable that makes me inadmissible?
Thanks
someone who has been charged with committing marriage fraud could a potential sentence of 5 years in jail or a $100,000 fine.

Under the aim of strengthening Canada’s immigration system and preventing the victimization of innocent Canadians[1], the Canadian government, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”), and former Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney, have recently crusaded for a massive crackdown on cases of what has been termed marriage fraud. As described on the CIC website under the headline “Marriage Fraud”:

“It is a crime for a foreign national to marry a Canadian citizen or permanent resident only to gain entry to Canada. CIC is working to prevent these false marriages. In many cases, sponsors and foreign applicants set up a “marriage of convenience.” This is a marriage or common-law relationship whose sole purpose is to let the sponsored spouse or partner immigrate to Canada.”[2]

The CIC website further states that Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are in a marriage of convenience for immigration reasons may be charged with a crime or deported from Canada.[3] CIC states it is working with its partners including the Canada Border Services Agency (“CBSA”), Passport Canada and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to “crackdown on immigration fraud”.[4]

Further to this end, the government introduced new regulations in 2012, amending the Regulations[5] specifically to combat and pre-empt incidences of marriage fraud. These include:

i. provisions that require co-habitation with the sponsor for a continuous period of two years[6]; and
ii. prohibiting sponsored spouses from sponsoring a new spouse for five years following the date they become a permanent resident.[7]
Postings, news releases and videos on CIC’s site advertise that marriage fraud will no longer be tolerated. These articles highlight the new regulations in place to deter marriage fraud, as well as the consequences for perpetrators of marriage fraud. The penalties include imprisonment, fines and deportation. These include:

“Marriage Fraud”- CIC website
“Protect Yourself from Fraud”- CIC website
“Marriage Fraud: Stories from victims” video
"Marriage Fraud: New Consequences” video
“The Jig is Up on Marriage Fraud”, says Minister Kenney dated October 26, 2012;
“Minister Kenney introduces sponsorship restriction to address marriage fraud” dated March 2, 2012.
“Conditional permanent residence proposed to deter marriages of convenience” dated March 9, 2012.
Further, Minister Kenney has made it abundantly clear that the government is taking action and has advocated strongly as to the Canadian government’s tough stance on marriage fraud. For example:

“There are countless cases of marriage fraud across the country,” said Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney. “I have consulted widely with Canadians, and especially with victims of marriage fraud, who have told me clearly that we must take action to stop this abuse of our immigration system. Sometimes the sponsor in Canada is being duped and sometimes it's a commercial transaction. Implementing a two-year conditional permanent residence period will help deter marriage fraud, prevent the callous victimization of innocent Canadians and help us put an end to these scams.”[8]

“I held town hall meetings across the country to hear from victims of marriage fraud,” said Minister Kenney. “In addition to the heartbreak and pain that came from being lied to and deceived, these people were angry. They felt they had been used as a way to get to Canada. We’re taking action because immigration to Canada should not be built upon deceit.”[9]

“Many of the people who took part in the consultations made it abundantly clear that marriage fraud poses a significant threat to our immigration system,” added Minister Kenney. “Our government has listened to the victims of marriage fraud and all Canadians, and acted to crack down on those who engage in fraud and abuse Canadians’ generosity and our immigration system.”[10]

“Canadians are generous and welcoming, but they have no tolerance for fraudsters who lie and cheat to jump the queue,” said Minister Kenney. “This measure will help strengthen the integrity of our immigration system and prevent the victimization of innocent Canadians.”[11]

Given all the pontificating the Respondent has done regarding marriage fraud, Canadians affected by it have a legitimate expectation that the problem will be addressed.

However, there have only been charges laid in 10 cases throughout the country; 6 have resulted in convictions; one 1 has now been charged in this Province.

The government shouldn't be able to point to this one case and pat themselves on their back; there are, in the words of Jason Kenney himself, countless cases of marriage fraud. We have gone to the Federal Court to force the government to take action where our clients have been the victim of marriage fraud, only to find the government defending the inaction of its officers.

Bassamazzam

Nov 20, 2016
Thank you
I was charged with marriage fraud in USA and not in Canada.
In Canada it is called inconvenience marriage.i need to know what is the penalty of inconvenience marriage in Canadian criminal law and whether it makes me inadmissible to Canada . If I claim refugee at the Canadian/American borders will I be allowed entry ?
Thanks

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
any crime in Canada is inadmissible but you can overcome to your inadmissiblity and depends when your crime accrue.if 5 years past from your probation priod you can apply for rehebilitation or if not past you can apply for TRP ( temporary resident permit) and you can pay $200 for any of them then if approve you can stay in Canada.