+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address change before oath

citizenshipapplicant

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
Hello All,

We are moving within Canada. We had our test done in June and still waiting for oath. We are moving next month from Calgary to Regina. I am worried what will happen if we move before oath and have address changed. Will it delay the application or not. Anyone has idea how much delay we should expect. Thank you.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
citizenshipapplicant said:
Hello All,

We are moving within Canada. We had our test done in June and still waiting for oath. We are moving next month from Calgary to Regina. I am worried what will happen if we move before oath and have address changed. Will it delay the application or not. Anyone has idea how much delay we should expect. Thank you.
You are required to notify CIC of a change in address. This is crucial to ensure you get correspondence and also for CIC to determine which Local Office should deal with your application. You may find that you still get an oath invite from Calgary despite the address change. Typically there would be a delay though as the file works its way from Calgary to Regina to enable you being added to the oath schedule. A fair way really is to keep your internal CIC oath timeline/current date as the reference point for any Local Office so when a transfer occurs you don't lose your spot.

In my opinion the issue with transfers is that of background checks expiring in the bureaucratic process - you would end losing your place in line!!. And CIC wonder why those close to oath don't want to update their address. The downside though is that if CIC send correspondence to the old address and you say fail to show up for the oath....'oh I didn't change my address' is not a good reason and your application could get bounced. In theory ecas covers you from this but we've seen many a time on this forum that ecas can and does have issues!!