+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Spouse to my Application

qdann

Jun 18, 2015
Hi Guys,

I got invitation from CIC and I want to add my boyfriend to my application. We met each other in Canada, but he went to China 2 years ago. Because we have been long distance for 2 year, I am afraid that the officer doubt our marriage.
I just want to know if they do doubt my marriage, will it impact my own application? Can I withdraw him at any time from my case?
Thanks

velveteen

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-15-2015
AOR Received.
11-15-2015
qdann said:
Hi Guys,

I got invitation from CIC and I want to add my boyfriend to my application. We met each other in Canada, but he went to China 2 years ago. Because we have been long distance for 2 year, I am afraid that the officer doubt our marriage.
I just want to know if they do doubt my marriage, will it impact my own application? Can I withdraw him at any time from my case?
Thanks

If not married, you may qualify under Common law partner but there are stipulations to that definition as to what CIC considers:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=346&top=14

qdann

Jun 18, 2015
velveteen said:
If not married, you may qualify under Common law partner but there are stipulations to that definition as to what CIC considers:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=346&top=14
We plan to marry. i think this is not a problem. my concern is the impaction on my own case if they doubt our relationship

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can only add your boyfriend to your application if:

a) you are married

or

b) you are in a common law relationship

Common law typically requires cohabitation,. i.e. living together.

Since you are not married yet, your only option is (b). But if you don't live together, your chances are low. There are exceptions as far as I know, but they are difficult to prove. Head over to the Family section of the forum for more information.

Also, you will have quite some explaining to do why you didn't tell CIC about your spouse pre-ITA . It's not like your circumstances changed or anything. At the very least, it will require an LoE. Think hard about what you are going to tell them.

Or did you tell them and list him as "not accompanying"? Then it would be easier.

In any case, you need to test that your CRS points are still above the minimum cut-off after adding your spouse - if you don't have a language test and/or ECA for your spouse, your points will likely be lower. If they fall below the minimum cut-off score for the draw you were invited under, your application will be rejected.

qdann

Jun 18, 2015
Thanks for your response. I have PNP points which adds 600 to my grade, so I have enough points.
Can I refuse this invitation and update my profile to married and wait for the next invitation?
Should I prepare the LoE and submit with all the other documents or wait for CIC request?
Thanks

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qdann said:
Thanks for your response. I have PNP points which adds 600 to my grade, so I have enough points.
Can I refuse this invitation and update my profile to married and wait for the next invitation?
Should I prepare the LoE and submit with all the other documents or wait for CIC request?
Thanks
I'm no expert on this, but you need to avoid misrepresentation.

While I generally believe it would be best to decline the ITA and add your spouse to your profile and then get another ITA, I don't think you can. You cannot tell them you are married because you aren't. That's misrepresentation.

I think one option you have is marrying and adding your spouse between PPR and COPR - I've heard people do this, but I'm unsure of the process. Run a search on the forum.