+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Actively studying in new DLI change rule

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I want to change DLI inside Canada and, the new rule says you should be actively studying before changing DLI. Does anyone know what "actively studying" means here? When is that? For example, classes should begin and then we change DLI or we should study for one semester before changing DLI?
has anybody recently, after the new rules, changed DLI inside Canada without any issues?

This is an image shared by wonderbly in another thread:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I want to change DLI inside Canada and, the new rule says you should be actively studying before changing DLI. Does anyone know what "actively studying" means here? When is that? For example, classes should begin and then we change DLI or we should study for one semester before changing DLI?
has anybody recently, after the new rules, changed DLI inside Canada without any issues?

This is an image shared by wonderbly in another thread:

IMO this rule is too new for anyone to understand how it will be applied.

If you want to play it safe and make sure that you have zero problems, then finish one semester (or at least a few of months) at your original school before changing DLIs.

I think switching 2-3 weeks after arriving in Canada is risky and that this is the behaviour IRCC is trying to stop through this rule. But that's just my opinion. I think IRCC is seeing too many people applying for university studies only to downgrade this to a college once they arrive (or something similar where the level of education being pursued in Canada is being reduced). Anyway - just my opinion. The rule is too new for any of us to guess.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
"Students should be able to demonstrate that they are making reasonable progress toward the completion of their courses in the time allotted by the program."

Yeah, clear as mud :confused: .
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program

Still very vague, imho.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
BTW, here's another email I got just now. I asked IRCC 2 days ago to confirm that my dependents don't need to re-apply (I was already told this on Twitter but I needed to be doubly sure), and also if my new application will be finalised before my booked trip in July.

It's scary how they reiterated that "You will need to apply for a new application" :D :D .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program

Still very vague, imho.
Yep - too vague.

Although if you look at the second bullet (making progress), I would argue that it would be difficult for someone to demonstrate progress if they switch programs 2-3 weeks of arriving. If you finish a semester, then you can easily demonstrate progress.

Reactions: rogelcorral

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
BTW, here's another email I got just now. I asked IRCC 2 days ago to confirm that my dependents don't need to re-apply (I was already told this on Twitter but I needed to be doubly sure), and also if my new application will be finalised before my booked trip in July.

It's scary how they reiterated that "You will need to apply for a new application" :D :D .

What is scarier for me to apply again and get rejected. Is there a chance that I would be rejected the second time? What if they do reject? Will I still be able to study at my previous university? Paying 150$ is nothing for me. I just don't wanna risk it.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What is scarier for me to apply again and get rejected. Is there a chance that I would be rejected the second time? What if they do reject? Will I still be able to study at my previous university? Paying 150$ is nothing for me. I just don't wanna risk it.
I had the same worry but my rationale is:
1. My new DLI is ranked much higher than the previous one and it's for the exact same Master's program.
2. They would have asked my dependents to also re-apply if they were going to re-assess my application from scratch.

In your case, I am not sure because you are switching from a university to a College (same program?), so I am not sure how they will evaluate that change. NSCC is not a bad school, but it's still a community college...

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had the same worry but my rationale is:
1. My new DLI is ranked much higher than the previous one and it's for the exact same Master's program.
2. They would have asked my dependents to also re-apply if they were going to re-assess my application from scratch.

In your case, I am not sure because you are switching from a university to a College (same program?), so I am not sure how they will evaluate that change. NSCC is not a bad school, but it's still a community college...
IMO you don't face any risks having a new study permit approved. As you've said, you're switching from one Master's program to another (i.e. same level of study).

I agree it's a different ballgame where someone is lowering the level of education they plan to pursue in Canada. If someone was previously approved for a Master's and now wants to pursue a PGD, the outcome is unknown and could potentially be a refusal.

Reactions: canuck78

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
IMO you don't face any risks having a new study permit approved. As you've said, you're switching from one Master's program to another (i.e. same level of study).

I agree it's a different ballgame where someone is lowering the level of education they plan to pursue in Canada. If someone was previously approved for a Master's and now wants to pursue a PGD, the outcome is unknown and could potentially be a refusal.
Some people are doing that to get a study permit and then pay lower tuition at a PGD program. Pretty terrible loophole

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Some people are doing that to get a study permit and then pay lower tuition at a PGD program. Pretty terrible loophole
Agreed. My feeling is that IRCC has become fed up with seeing this and is shutting that loophole down.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
This just keeps getting more interesting ! Found this on Twitter. I wonder if my application will also get cancelled?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

.....and the saga continues!

This morning I got an email attempting to recall the mail that IRCC sent me 2 days ago (the screenshot above). Not long after, I got this email below. I don't know what to fo now. I have already applied for a new SP, so I guess that will be cancelled.
Why is IRCC making this so confusing?? o_O

@captainarabiia @canuck78 @Naturgrl @scylla any idea on how to proceed from here?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
.....and the saga continues!

This morning I got an email attempting to recall the mail that IRCC sent me 2 days ago (the screenshot above). Not long after, I got this email below. I don't know what to fo now. I have already applied for a new SP, so I guess that will be cancelled.
Why is IRCC making this so confusing?? o_O

@captainarabiia @canuck78 @Naturgrl @scylla any idea on how to proceed from here?

More updates

I responded to their email above with this:

30 minutes later, they responded with this (not sure why they claim not to know I was still outside Canada cos I CLEARLY stated that in my initial webform. Also, why would I have emailing my local VO (Pretoria Office) if I was already in Canada :rolleyes: ):