+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accumulated work experience for FSW under same NOC

netxor

Feb 13, 2018
Hey everyone,

I've just found the information that it's possible to accumulate your work experience under same NOC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

The applicant must have accumulated at least one year of continuous full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) paid work experience in the occupation identified in their application for permanent residence as their primary occupation. In calculating this period of work experience, the occupation must be listed in skill type 0 (Managerial occupations), skill level A (Professional occupations) or skill level B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 [R75(2)(a)].
Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:

• adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
  • 15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.
Note: Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.
My first work experience under the NOC that I am about to apply was in the year of 2014 but I worked for 4 months. Since Nov 2016 I've been working for another company under the same job position and I got following up question according to a link above. Can I add those 4 months of work experience to my current work experience, so I will accumulate them into full 2 years of experience for FSW?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
Can I claim Work experience under two different NOC? I have two years under type A and one year under type B. Is it possible to claim all three years?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Can I claim Work experience under two different NOC? I have two years under type A and one year under type B. Is it possible to claim all three years?
Your first year needs to be continuous under one NOC only.
Any other NOCs can be added to claim work experience years, but the first one needs to be under one NOC only.

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
Ok, so I have one year experience as a legal assistant and two years as an attorney. Under the express entry profile, I can claim all three years? If so, what do I do after ITA? I am a little confused

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Ok, so I have one year experience as a legal assistant and two years as an attorney. Under the express entry profile, I can claim all three years? If so, what do I do after ITA? I am a little confused
Yes you can claim all three years.
Pre-ITA and Post-Ita, you'll mention both these experiences in work experience section.
If you have any other experiences for which you're not claiming points, you put them in Personal Activity.
Make sure however that you completed a full 12-months for the 1-year position, and 24 full months for the 2-year position. If you're shy by just one or two months, it may not count. Meaning 2 years 10 months of experience will count as 2 years, not three.
In addition, if you claim points for these two positions, you'll have to provide work reference letters per CIC requirements for BOTH positions. A detail often overlooked.

Reactions: Havij

Nicole_o

Sep 25, 2018
With respect to work reference letters, the company I worked with for one year no longer exists. I have a copy of my work contract, tax forms, and pay slips. Should I get a letter from the ex HR officer?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
With respect to work reference letters, the company I worked with for one year no longer exists. I have a copy of my work contract, tax forms, and pay slips. Should I get a letter from the ex HR officer?
Yes you can include all of these, but do attach a letter of explanation at the beginning of the compiled PDF, explaining why you're not able to provide them with a reference letter with the proper format for that position.
Note however, that this has no guarantee of working, as it's at officer's discretion to grant you points for the work experience for which the letter is missing.
Even though it will show you've been working indeed, but it won't show him your duties, and therefore whether it matches with the NOC you're claiming for that position.

Now, knowing you won't have a reference letter in proper format for that one-year, make sure the reference letter for the other 2 years is accurate, as you will need to show you meet minimum eligibility criteria (Continuity, Full-time/Part-time duration...etc).
Note that to claim points for two years, you'll need to have worked at least 1560hours/year. That's a work volume of at least 30h/week. Letter needs to show these kind of things...

Reactions: Havij

Havij

Jan 9, 2019
Yes you can claim all three years.
Pre-ITA and Post-Ita, you'll mention both these experiences in work experience section.
If you have any other experiences for which you're not claiming points, you put them in Personal Activity.
Make sure however that you completed a full 12-months for the 1-year position, and 24 full months for the 2-year position. If you're shy by just one or two months, it may not count. Meaning 2 years 10 months of experience will count as 2 years, not three.
In addition, if you claim points for these two positions, you'll have to provide work reference letters per CIC requirements for BOTH positions. A detail often overlooked.
Could you please mention your source from CIC website? As far as I could search your work experience should be in the same NOC. I hope you are right and we can provide work xp from different NOCs. I have one continuous year in one noc + 20 month in the same NOC and 6 month in another NOC. it is vitally important for me two have 3 years to reach the score I need.
your help is really appreciated.