+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceleration of receipt of COPR

CANewbie42

Feb 27, 2021
Hi - I am a permanent resident and my wife has applied in February and has been in contact with Immigration Canada on her application, providing updated FBI certificate and now received the letter asking for passport photos, a copy of her passport page (she's American) about 3 weeks ago and submitted all required information about 1.5-2 weeks ago. We are also 4 months pregnant and have not been able to get referred to a hospital in Toronto as she doesn’t have a health card yet. Can someone think of anything we can do to help accelerate that she gets a status in Canada like a BOWP or something similar? Does anyone know how long it can take from here to get the confirmation of permanent residence? Thanks so much for any inputs!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi - I am a permanent resident and my wife has applied in February and has been in contact with Immigration Canada on her application, providing updated FBI certificate and now received the letter asking for passport photos, a copy of her passport page (she's American) about 3 weeks ago and submitted all required information about 1.5-2 weeks ago. We are also 4 months pregnant and have not been able to get referred to a hospital in Toronto as she doesn’t have a health card yet. Can someone think of anything we can do to help accelerate that she gets a status in Canada like a BOWP or something similar? Does anyone know how long it can take from here to get the confirmation of permanent residence? Thanks so much for any inputs!!
Is this processing inland or outland? Processing inland is estimated at 11 months, outland is 10 months and no way to expedite. Has she received AOR? Does she have private insurance covering pregnancy?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is not possible to accelerate COPR. However if she has AOR then she can apply for a BOWP. If she has a BOWP and a job, then she can get OHIP. Otherwise you have to pay for health care out of pocket (if you don't have insurance).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi - I am a permanent resident and my wife has applied in February and has been in contact with Immigration Canada on her application, providing updated FBI certificate and now received the letter asking for passport photos, a copy of her passport page (she's American) about 3 weeks ago and submitted all required information about 1.5-2 weeks ago. ... Does anyone know how long it can take from here to get the confirmation of permanent residence? Thanks so much for any inputs!!
Not 100% certain but this sounds like the passport request stage which is basically the end. Since you submitted only two weeks ago, it can be completed fairlly quickly, or take months yet (but probably low-ish single digit months). The only unclear bit is whether they are doing a virtual landing or not, and unfortunately how long they take to get through to the electronic COPR is relatively unpredictable (albeit usually on the shorter side). This is as far as I can tell from what hyou've described above.

Note though of course that there is the OHIP waiting period (usually three months), although I'm not very up to date on the status of that.

Penichefr

May 6, 2019
You are in Ontario, if your wife received the Approval in Principle letter, you can go with her to a service Ontario and apply for OHIP.

You can see requirements here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

It says she needs to have been living in Ontario for 6 months, then this pertains to your situation:
  • are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements) and
    • you have not yet been denied
My wife hasn't received her COPR yet, but we received her AIP and she already has OHIP and is registered with my family doctor even

CANewbie42

Feb 27, 2021
You are in Ontario, if your wife received the Approval in Principle letter, you can go with her to a service Ontario and apply for OHIP.

You can see requirements here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

It says she needs to have been living in Ontario for 6 months, then this pertains to your situation:
  • are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements) and
My wife hasn't received her COPR yet, but we received her AIP and she already has OHIP and is registered with my family doctor even
Hi - thank you sooo much for the input, I really have hope now!! Your feedback is really appreciated. On the AIP letter, does it start like this:

--------
Dear XXXX,

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa.

If for any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, you must inform IRCC immediately via the IRCC Web form with details concerning your situation.
--------

She has also met the 30 day deadline mentioned above and submitted everything that was requested.

Is the above what you refer to as the AIP letter?

I really appreciate your input!

Penichefr

May 6, 2019
Hi - thank you sooo much for the input, I really have hope now!! Your feedback is really appreciated. On the AIP letter, does it start like this:

--------
Dear XXXX,

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa.

If for any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, you must inform IRCC immediately via the IRCC Web form with details concerning your situation.
--------

She has also met the 30 day deadline mentioned above and submitted everything that was requested.

It is usually a letter/email which says something like this:

"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met..."

You should have received something like that way before this last letter you mentioned. All that you need is this letter mentioning that she meets the eligibility requirements... although I think that the letter you posted might also be valid for this purpose... go to a Service Ontario with every letter/document you have, and print out the eligibility requirements from the website.

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024
It is usually a letter/email which says something like this:

"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met..."

You should have received something like that way before this last letter you mentioned. All that you need is this letter mentioning that she meets the eligibility requirements... although I think that the letter you posted might also be valid for this purpose... go to a Service Ontario with every letter/document you have, and print out the eligibility requirements from the website.
As @Penichefr mentioned, if your wife received AIP and has been in Ontario for more than 6 months, she is also eligible to apply for OHIP. AIP letter should be sent to the PA around the same time as the sponsor got SA and when the eligibility stage is completed. I also answered this in another thread but basically, I got my OHIP from AIP (not from OWP). You do not need to wait until eCOPR. However, not all the ServiceOntario knows about it though, you have to look for the big ones and you can apply under "are applying for permanent residence in Canada" and:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

lovindahubby

Nov 15, 2013
canada
Category........
FSW
Med's Request
-

--------
Dear XXXX,

--------

This actually sound like Portal 1… did you get a pdf file or anything in this email asking about height , eye color etc? If you did . This is portal 1 for you to confirm information!

alex00

Star Member
Jul 2, 2024
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
05-06-2024
AOR Received.
03-07-2024
I would like to point out that there is no longer a waiting period for OHIP. There is technically a physical presence requirement (153 days) but you can get your health card as soon as you take up residence in Ontario so I'm not sure how they enforce the requirement. (https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card)

Reactions: armoured