+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Academic Researcher

beni

Dec 8, 2009
Hello,

I have been accepted at McGill university as a Graduate Research Trainee, and in my admission letter it was mentioned that I need to apply for "work permit". According to my correspondences with CIC, since I'm awarded CAD $3,500 for the duration of seven months, I do not need to provide LMO. Also since I am a trainee, I will not be charged for any tuition or any other fees.

Is there anyone with the same situation? or can anyone advice me something in order to be sure that I will obtain the work permit?

Many thanks for your response in advance.
Regards,
Behnam

Reactions: StetsonAB

metea

Dec 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Well, if you are to work then you do need a work permit!
If you are a student (at McGill) then you don't need it because it is like working on campus.

If you don't live in Canada, I think that you will be needing a CAQ first and you will need to do the medical as well (obligatory when staying in Canada for more than 6 months). For the first work permit the processing time is about 20 days and the CAQ is also like that, plus the mailing time.

Again, I do not know where you are applying from and your status, so this was for most possible cases.

Hope it helps!

beni

Dec 8, 2009
Hello,

Many thanks for your response.

I'm a master student in Sweden since August 2008 (my nationality is Iranian). And I'm about to do a project at McGill university as a part of my studies in Sweden.

Since I'm exempt from LMO, I guess that I do not need to provide CAQ as well.