+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About to get married. What are my options?

m10dx

Sep 20, 2012
Alurra71 said:
No, there will be no conflict between her acquiring a study permit and your sponsorship for immigration. Those often are seen together and do not generate a red flag on their own.

The one thing that WILL raise a very large red flag is the arranged marriage where you have not even yet spoken to your soon to be 'spouse'. There is going to be a very short courtship, so it sounds, and likely not a long time before you begin the sponsorship application. Once you are married, there is not set 'time' for when it's appropriate to apply for sponsorship.

Based on the information you are giving and what you wish to accomplish, it sounds as if the best bet is going to be for her to acquire the study permit and then for you to get married, either here or there, I don't believe that should be an issue, but once she is inside Canada and studying, I would advise you guys begin building a very strong case to apply for sponsorship. Take a couple mini vacations, if possible, you don't have to leave the country, become part of a social group that friends and such would be willing to attest to your genuine relationship, get pictures, all the things one would expect to see in a true and lasting relationship. Provided her study permit is of a decent length, it should provide you with adequate time to get some of this done without worrying about her having to leave the country.
Hi Alurra71, I really appreciate your response, as well as other members responses. You just hit the point. I guess my best bet is what you said. After we get to Canada, then I can wait for like 6 months or longer, do some mini trips, then apply for sponsoring her.

What I'll do now is applying for study permit, and if we get it, then I can start building my case after. Usually marriage in my country has 2 stages, formal contract where I just sign and she is legally my wife but I still can't be with her though I then can start talk to her normally, send her emails and stuff that I think will strengthen my case. 2nd stage is the wedding ceremony which usually happens way after that since a lot of reservations needs to happen.

If her study permit got refused, then my only choice would be to apply outland, as it seems.

m10dx

Sep 20, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
To add to Alurra's comment:

Be sure to explain any cultural norms, traditions, etc. Also highlight what you guys have in common. As it's an arranged marriage, someone must have done the necessary investigations of yourself and your fiancée. It would be a good idea to get this person(s) to write an affidavit of what they did, how they did it, their findings and how they came to the conclusion that you guys are suitable for each other. If you guys are going to get pre-marital medical checks done, marriage counselling, etc, include evidence of it. This will help show that some thought and planning went into it.

Lastly, include evidence that both of your families are involved and supportive of your union. This is very important, especially in the case of an arranged marriage. Also, hang on to cards, gifts, etc that are addressed to both of you.

After your marriage, be sure to share the news with co-workers, friends, church members, etc. When she comes, go out to functions together and with other people and take photos.

Get a professional photographer and if possible, get your ceremony videotaped too. So much goes on during the wedding that you don't get to see or experience.
Hi SenoritaBella,
Really appreciate your inputs. I guess now I have a clear idea on what I need to know and do once I get married.

Thanks again, this forum is amazing :)