+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About marriage before 1st land in Canada as PR

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
I am from India I have received Canadian PR visa, but not yet landed. I have a boyfriend and want to marry him. If I get married before landing, my PR visa becomes invalid because my family composition will get change. If I inform the embassy that I got married, they will tell me that my PR visa is now invalid and will advise me to send my passport back to them as well as immigration forms for my (would be) husband and his (applicable) fees. My husband's name will then be added to my application and new PR visas will be issued for both of us. ? And how long this process will take !

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
I am from India I have received Canadian PR visa, but not yet landed. I have a boyfriend and want to marry him. If I get married before landing, my PR visa becomes invalid because my family composition will get change. If I inform the embassy that I got married, they will tell me that my PR visa is now invalid and will advise me to send my passport back to them as well as immigration forms for my (would be) husband and his (applicable) fees. My husband's name will then be added to my application and new PR visas will be issued for both of us. ? And how long this process will take !
Best approach would be you complete your PR formalities and become a PR officially, you can sponsor your future husband after this. It may take anywhere from couple of months to an year as current trend suggests.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Best approach would be you complete your PR formalities and become a PR officially, you can sponsor your future husband after this. It may take anywhere from couple of months to an year as current trend suggests.
Disagree. As long as your spouse doesn't have health issues it is much easier to get married, resubmit and move to Canada together. This way they are never separated. You either wait in your home country or wait in Canada awhile likely being separated for at least a year in Canada.

It is impossible to tell how long adding the husband will take. There are many factors but if he needs a sputum culture that adds 3 months to the processing time which is likely a few months already. Given covid and the job market I wouldn't rush to Canada if you're already employed.

Reactions: YVR123

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
currently he is living in US as an undocumented unfortunately.But he went there as legal f-1 visa. So in this condition we don’t know what to do and how! Can he stay there and I travel there? Or he must come back home and do process for home country? Which one of the best way! Conditions is complicated for us now. It’s tough situation for us and we’re in genuine relationship , it’s a long distance from 4 years.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Disagree. As long as your spouse doesn't have health issues it is much easier to get married, resubmit and move to Canada together. This way they are never separated. You either wait in your home country or wait in Canada awhile likely being separated for at least a year in Canada.

It is impossible to tell how long adding the husband will take. There are many factors but if he needs a sputum culture that adds 3 months to the processing time which is likely a few months already. Given covid and the job market I wouldn't rush to Canada if you're already employed.
Yes, this works too. Thanks canuck78.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
currently he is living in US as an undocumented unfortunately.But he went there as legal f-1 visa. So in this condition we don’t know what to do and how! Can he stay there and I travel there? Or he must come back home and do process for home country? Which one of the best way! Conditions is complicated for us now. It’s tough situation for us and we’re in genuine relationship , it’s a long distance from 4 years.
This complicates things, you cannot hide that he is living in US illegally and this is may have a major impact on your application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does he have a valid passport? The fact that he was living illegally in the US changes things. You can't go work in the US so it is up to you to decide whether you want to remain in Canada or go back to India. Even with a valid passport he could be asked to return to return to India for an interview. Given his status he will have difficulty entering Canada as a visitor.

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
Yes , he does have a valid Indian passport. And doesn’t have any criminal records at all. Not in USA or In India
so in this case what we can do? As per law what’ll be your suggestion?
1) Can we choose a getting married in our home country with cultural traditions weddings?
2) In Pandemic getting 1st PR card after 1st land it’s 90 days. I can’t wait that long. So is it possible to travel back to home country with valid travel documents and get married and then return to Canada? After that Apply for him?
Is this any problem in application to marry without PR card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes , he does have a valid Indian passport. And doesn’t have any criminal records at all. Not in USA or In India
so in this case what we can do? As per law what’ll be your suggestion?
1) Can we choose a getting married in our home country with cultural traditions weddings?
2) In Pandemic getting 1st PR card after 1st land it’s 90 days. I can’t wait that long. So is it possible to travel back to home country with valid travel documents and get married and then return to Canada? After that Apply for him?
Is this any problem in application to marry without PR card?
1) Yes, you can get married in India and this would likely be the better choice. I would personally land and become a PR before you get married.
2) Yes. You will need to get a PRTD to return to Canada if you don't have a PR card yet. No issues getting married without having your PR card yet.

Note that depending on how long he has been in the U.S. without status, he will be issued an automatic ban from the U.S. as soon as he leaves and he should not attempt to re-enter the U.S. until this ban has lifted. Make sure he is 100% honest about his U.S. immigration history (including the overstay) in the sponsorship application.

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
Does he gets any trouble to entering is canada as my spouse? Does canada reject our file just because of his past immigration history? What are the chances?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Does he gets any trouble to entering is canada as my spouse? Does canada reject our file just because of his past immigration history? What are the chances?
He won't be allowed into Canada just because he is your spouse. He will likely need to wait in India. Since he has been staying in US illegally, the chance of him getting TRV is very low. (plus lack of tie and having a spouse in Canada)
The file for sponsoring him as a spouse should not have much impact on his illegal status in US as long as it's being honestly listed in the application.
IRCC will inspect your marriage and relationship to make sure it's genuine.

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
As I mention above, we won’t hide anything. And yes I’m aware of TRV and we’ll listed all information. And as I’m from India so our weeding will be as per our tradition for sure

Prc1212

Jul 31, 2018
As i mentioned about about our details, I’m still waiting for PPR and because of pandemic canada stop flights from India. My boyfriend now came back india from USA. I don’t know how long it’ll take reopening flights and getting Stamps on my passport. We’re looking forward to get married before my 1st land , and we’re planning to flying together. What are the options we have.?
Should i get marry with him and add his name on my profile? And how long it does take to get both PPR ? What are the processes for that? What are the advantages and disadvantages of adding spouse name in my profile? As i mentioned above, he stayed as undocumented in USA for several years, but his entry was with valid visa. No criminal record at all.